Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you rollback a botched Xen upgrade?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you rollback a botched Xen upgrade?

rchurchrchurch Member

When I am upgrading a KVM system, I can make a backup onto a different partition and restore the system from that partition if the upgrade fails, either by booting and restoring from a CD-ROM or a special disk partition created for that purpose

What does Xen offer in such a situation, especially if the upgrade resulted in some incompatibilities or the system is failing to boot properly?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I saw that most issues are with the new kernel. There are people compiling own or it fails to install properly. You will simply boot up in the old kernel and see from there, make sure you leave a long time to choose the kernel, I would suggest a minute, depending on how fast the node is and for ssd 30 seconds might be enough. If you blew up the boot folder (usually, from what I know very few people offer a separate boot partition), than that is tough, you need to askt he host to mount the disk and recover whatever files you have there or patch it up to make bootable again.

• @Maounique said:
    I saw that most issues are with the new kernel. There are people compiling own or it fails to install properly. You will simply boot up in the old kernel and see from there, make sure you leave a long time to choose the kernel, I would suggest a minute, depending on how fast the node is and for ssd 30 seconds might be enough. If you blew up the boot folder (usually, from what I know very few people offer a separate boot partition), than that is tough, you need to askt he host to mount the disk and recover whatever files you have there or patch it up to make bootable again.

How is Xenpower configured in that respect? Is it possible to choose options at boot time in the recovery console etc?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

No, you can choose in grub how long to display the choice.

However, if you have it with us, just open a ticket, I will boot it in the old kernel, no problem.