Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free VPS project. Need help - OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free VPS project. Need help - OpenVZ

finesirfinesir Member

Hi,

I am currently working on a Free VPS for all project to help people who need a VPS for say 48 hours or 72 hours etc.. So a small free VPS of 1GB ram and 10GB HDD for a short time. I would like if someone could help me out. I got about 8 servers sitting around that i would use for this and if i see it worthy would throw it into full scale. If someone can PM me, speak on skype or so on and work on it would be epic!
For the community!

Comments

• My main concern with this is that it'll probably be used for abuse and to launch DDoS attacks.

• @darknyan said:
    My main concern with this is that it'll probably be used for abuse and to launch DDoS attacks.

O well. If they do cool. I am running it as a test at current so if it goes to release state it will be fairly built up.

• A VPS is €3/year. Get real.

• @serverian said:
    A VPS is €3/year. Get real.

Of what spec?

• @finesir said:
    Of what spec?

LowEndSpirit.com

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

said: people who need a VPS for say 48 hours or 72 hours

Spammers?

• The Internet has enough spam and spurious traffic as it is.

• This might be helpful towards developers for sandboxes that they can deploy and destroy on demand. I know there's been instances where I've needed a few VM's to test out how things operate between each other.

• If I were you I wouldn't go through with this, and if you do don't make it anonymous. I guarantee you people will abuse the service if it is. You'll want to reduce the amount of BW available, basically make it impossible to use in an attack and only for benign purposes.

Thanked by 1Justin_G
  • @daxterfellowes said:
    This might be helpful towards developers for sandboxes that they can deploy and destroy on demand. I know there's been instances where I've needed a few VM's to test out how things operate between each other.

There are plenty of providers that can do that (EC2, DigitalOcean, etc)

• @Bogdacutuu said:
    There are plenty of providers that can do that (EC2, DigitalOcean, etc)

The only free provider I know of would be EC2. And while EC2 is nice, it's also nice to have options and flexibility.

• PwnerPwner Member

This could work, but you would need a very strong security system to check for bandwidth hogs and abusers. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd need to dedicate admins to monitor these instances around the clock to scan for abusers.

If this idea can be implemented correctly, it will be amazing. The other issue however, is being able to sustain this type of project. How do you plan to keep this service up? Ad revenue, premium membership, selling user information?

We all have to remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited April 2014

Limit users to 1Mbps and block port 25... Or require identity verification (no anonymous users)... Or just tell them to use Koding for the purpose.
    Unfortunately the former free VPS provider EduVPS didn't last long due to all that abuse... They had blocked port 25 and required SMS verification from the beginning, and later also implemented scripts to terminate DDoS, which did proved to be effective but maybe not enough. In the end they just deleted their Facebook fanpage and website altogether...

• VDS6VDS6 Member
    edited April 2014

I would pay 1000$ just to purchase all that free time of yours if you have nothing else to do with it. "Hypothetical purchase".

• @daxterfellowes said:
    The only free provider I know of would be EC2. And while EC2 is nice, it's also nice to have options and flexibility.

The person I quoted never mentioned that they have to be free, but in any case it's a lot cheaper to run servers only when needed compared to a normal VPS.

• For EC2 Free Tier, there are additional charges for disk I/O requests, snapshot storage, EBS storage, bandwidth, etc. that exceeds their monthly free tier quota. I personally find it difficult to keep the disk I/O requests within their quota and have to pay a "tiny" amount each month. Also they only give aggregated 15GB bandwidth out each month if I remember correctly.

• 1) No customer details would be sold. People dont pay much for a username and ****** for a password for a control panel
    2) This is only really a trial testing the water as such.
    3) I understand people will try and abuse.
    4) If people ruin it for public, I will only be giving out free VPS's to reputable members.

• PwnerPwner Member

@finesir said:
    1) No customer details would be sold. People dont pay much for a username and ****** for a password for a control panel
    2) This is only really a trial testing the water as such.
    3) I understand people will try and abuse.
    4) If people ruin it for public, I will only be giving out free VPS's to reputable members.

If this manages to kick off, how do you plan to sustain this service?

• @Pwner said:
    If this manages to kick off, how do you plan to sustain this service?

Easily.

• PwnerPwner Member

@finesir said:
    Easily.

May I ask through what methods?

• @Pwner said:
    May I ask through what methods?

I wont publicize by how or what means but put it this way. I make a couple of $ a week to sustain 10+ servers and live normally.

• PwnerPwner Member

@finesir said:
    I wont publicize by how or what means but put it this way. I make a couple of $ a week to sustain 10+ servers and live normally.

Ah, okay. Just looking out for you. :) I'd hate to see someone's dream getting crushed because they weren't fully prepared from the beginning.

• @Pwner said:
    Ah, okay. Just looking out for you. :) I'd hate to see someone's dream getting crushed >because they weren't fully prepared from the beginning.

I know what im getting into haha.

• @finesir said:
    I know what im getting into haha.

You really don't. Abuse is serious, and if someone sends CP or something else over your network, you're screwed. Like seriously screwed.

• @0xdragon said:
    You really don't. Abuse is serious, and if someone sends CP or something else over your network, you're screwed. Like seriously screwed.

Meh.. Well if it gets screwed. Cool and thats that.

• @finesir said:
    Meh.. Well if it gets screwed. Cool and thats that.

No. You get screwed. Not the service. You, personally. You'll be raided. Do you understand the consequences of your actions?

• @0xdragon said:
    No. You get screwed. Not the service. You, personally. You'll be raided. Do you understand the consequences of your actions?

So anyone hosting anything can get screwed for CP. If a SugarVPS customer has some CP, Who gets screwed?

• @finesir said:

SugarVPS... But they'll have info about the buyer to fall back on, (paypal, IP, Name, Adress ) and report this to the law enforcements.

• Floris said: they'll have info about the buyer to fall back on, (paypal, IP, Name, Adress ) and report this to the law enforcements.

This.

• Erm, ideas...

A: Setup a vertification method that works, such as CC or PayPal, or something like that.

B: Make a script of some sort that detects a large amount of incomming/outgoing traffic and throttle connections/auto-suspend users that reach a certain usage amount per time period.

C: Have something that monitors Disk/CPU usage. And suspend users who use a high amount in a certain time frame.

D: Block ports that involve mail, don't allow VPN's, Game Servers, etc etc.

HAVE A TERMS OF USE!!1

That's all, I wish you best of luck if you're going to try.