Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep server location hidden
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Keep server location hidden

I want to start a small file hosting site, but I want to hide the server location. I was thinking of using a cdn, but I want to go even further. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

Cloudflare or GRE tunnel?

Make sure to remove source IP from headers etc too

• jakelongjakelong Member
    edited April 2014

GRE sounds better. > @Fliphost said:

Cloudflare or GRE tunnel?

Make sure to remove source IP from headers etc too

Any cheap GRE suggestions? Nothing fancy, just want it to route my traffic.

• Won't be cheap if you want them to ignore abuse.

• IshaqIshaq Member

X4B.net

• @Ishaq said:
    X4B.net

That looks exactly what I'm looking for but they seem to be sold out.

edited April 2014

@William said:
    Won't be cheap if you want them to ignore abuse.

Ya I was thinking the same thing. :/

• Tor hidden service?

• @alexvolk said:
    Tor hidden service?

I have a feeling it would be insanely slow.

• @jakelong said:

You want abuse bulletproof with fast speed and with almost free pricing. No, it's impossible.

• @alexvolk said:
    You want abuse bulletproof with fast speed and with almost free pricing. No, it's impossible.

I'm ok with paying money, but I'm not ok with paying 5 times more than my actual server costs.

• alexvolk said: You want abuse bulletproof with fast speed and with almost free pricing. No, it's impossible.

Wrong.

He could route his services via the tor network, given its properly secured, it's (near) impossible to find.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@viCommunications said:
    He could route his services via the tor network, given its properly secured, it's (near) impossible to find.

But that would impact speed greatly, no?

• @Nekki said:
    But that would impact speed greatly, no?

Given its properly configured, and run via Nginx with aggressive caching - it would only have a slight impact on page load time.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2014

Don't go the tor route unless you are ok with people uploading child abuse to your server. If you server ever gets confiscated or you forget to pay the bills and someone has a look through your files, you could get in a lot of trouble. Even more so with a VPS.

Best advice would be to go with a host that forwards DMCA requests and such to you, and have a very clear DMCA takedown link on your homepage.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Don't go the tor route unless you are ok with people uploading child abuse to your server. If you server ever gets confiscated or you forget to pay the bills and someone has a look through your files, you could get in a lot of trouble. Even more so with a VPS.

Best advice would be to go with a host that forwards DMCA requests and such to you, and have a very clear DMCA takedown link on your homepage.

How about OVH? DDos protection is a must for me as well.

• @jakelong said:
    How about OVH? DDos protection is a must for me as well.

OVH and Kimsufi forward DMCA requests, however they request a copy of your passport on signup.

Are you planning on taking down files that get complained about, or are you going the 'bulletproof' route?

• @linuxthefish said:
    Are you planning on taking down files that get complained about, or are you going the 'bulletproof' route?

I want a little of both. Thats why I want to hide the server location so they don't know where to send the DMCA request. Is that even possible? If I were to get a DMCA request I would take it down.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2014

@jakelong said:
    I want a little of both. Thats why I want to hide the server location so they don't know where to send the DMCA request. Is that even possible? If I were to get a DMCA request I would take it down.

Reply to DMCA requests saying you need a a request sent via snail mail recorded delivery and a link to the actual copyright patent thing for the content to be removed. Nobody ever bothers to reply back, most takedown requests are automatic now.

It's better you have somewhere for requests to get sent to so you get to reply to them, and not your server provider.

• @linuxthefish said:
    It's better you have somewhere for requests to get sent to so you get to reply to them, and not your server provider.

Ok I see. Thanks so much, but how about hiding my server location. Any suggestions for a reverseproxy provider or something? Don't really want to go through cloudflare.

• buy a few boxes and use anycast, in the process you pretty much build your own cdn :E

• udkudk Member

At OVH I get several hundred DMCA notices a day, all of which are gmail filtered into spam. OVH is the way to go ;)

• Makkesk8 said: buy a few boxes and use anycast, in the process you pretty much build your own cdn :E

You make it sound so easy.

edited April 2014

@Makkesk8 said:
    buy a few boxes and use anycast, in the process you pretty much build your own cdn :E
    @GIANT_CRAB said:

Ya I even googled it and said to myself "What am I looking at?" =/

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2014

viCommunications said: Given its properly configured, and run via Nginx with aggressive caching - it would only have a slight impact on page load time.

Not really, it will be extremely slow as the route will always go through at least one cable (or worse) modem.

jakelong said: I want a little of both. Thats why I want to hide the server location so they don't know where to send the DMCA request. Is that even possible?

No, it is not.
    (Not in a practical way that works both ways)

• @GIANT_CRAB said:

I know right? :D

• Leaseweb is another way to go. I found that lot of the file hosts use their servers.

• @halczy said:
    Leaseweb is another way to go. I found that lot of the file hosts use their servers.

Leaseweb isn't the way to go for abuse. http://torrentfreak.com/leaseweb-wipes-all-megaupload-user-data-dotcom-outraged-130619/

edited April 2014

@halczy said:
    Leaseweb is another way to go. I found that lot of the file hosts use their servers.

I pay $40 for my OVH dedi. Im looking for about $20 a month or so.

• @jakelong said:
    I want to start a small file hosting site, but I want to hide the server location. I was thinking of using a cdn, but I want to go even further. Any suggestions?

host in iran or north korea