Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap and suitable VPS for VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap and suitable VPS for VPN

Hello all.

I wanted to get your opinion. As you know there are so many prohibitions in Turkey on the internet. At many sites, (including YouTube and Twitter) is banned. I need a VPN server for myself and some friends.

What is the appropriate RAM and etc.?

Thanks for replies already.

Comments

• Almost all servers, even in the budget range, are perfect for a VPN. Just aim for 64mb ram and a decent amount of B/W.

• halczyhalczy Member
    edited April 2014

I run OpenVPN and Softether at the same time on my VPS.

RAM usage is about 18MB (including system processes) for 1 device and can spike up to 50MB with 3 devices using it at the same time. 64MB should be enough.

• Well, if your hoster provides debian minimal images with OpenVZ you have ~4MB ram usage idleing which leaves you ~60MB for a VPN which is alot.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • 64 to 128MB would be more than enough for your needs.

• I just set up a DotVPS.co.uk box. It works on PPTP-server. Just $3.50 a month.

• I'd pay attention to bandwidth more than resources as some have pointed out. There is a great deal from bluevm .its 5.63 US bucks per YEAR. a steal if you ask me

Thanked by 1netomx
  • just make sure they have TUP/TAP and PPP for openvpn or L2TP
    64 MB ram is enough. bandwidth 100 GB/month

secure it by disable password login for SSH, use key pair

If you bust the RAM or bandwidth limits, unlikely, just get a bigger one

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I use a PPTP server everyday with 128mb ram and 1 TB BW. No problem. Youtube, Web, torrenting Linux ISO to my laptop. Work like a charm ! ;)

• NomadNomad Member
    edited April 2014

You can each get a free shell from Cjb.net and connect to it with myentunnel if speed is if no importance to you.

Alternatively; though not as safe in terms of security as openvpn/l2tp/ipsec/softether, you can get a vpn and install pptpd. That way you'ld save some resources and the bans in Turkey can be overridden with it. Also it's easier to setup both in server and client sides. It's supported by most mobiles and operating systems by default.

But keep in mind that not all hosts allow torrenting and you should be selective in terms of location since a vps in US will be slower than a vps in Europe for sure.