Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM 1 Year Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM 1 Year Review

I current have a KVM server on both locations offered -- Vegas and New Jersey. The uptime is superb, and reboot is mainly self initiated due to update requiring it such as kernel upgrade. The network has been consistently stable. The I/O speed would more than likely be faster with a normal setup; the systems are encrypted, so there's slight overhead. The support is professional and timely. There is also an IRC channel; it can be a bit wild at times because there's no filter, but I personally believe it's better that way.

Vegas:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5639 @ 2.13GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : 2133.408 MHz

Total amount of ram : 119 MB

Total amount of swap : 119 MB

System uptime : 4 days, 7:24,

Download speed from CacheFly: 7.73MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.46MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 19.6MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.08MB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 751KB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 274KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.83MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 15.6MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 17.4MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 14.7MB/s

I/O speed : 73.1 MB/s

New Jersey:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz

Number of cores : 1

CPU frequency : 3200.020 MHz

Total amount of ram : 119 MB

Total amount of swap : 59 MB

System uptime : 4 days, 10:40,

Download speed from CacheFly: 49.7MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 652KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 40.4MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 10.0MB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 13.7MB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 14.6MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.71MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 30.1MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 29.5MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 55.8MB/s

I/O speed : 150 MB/s

One feature where BuyVM beats all competitors is its Stallion VPS control panel management; in comparison, SolusVM would be like Windows 95 compared to Windows 7. Stallion has a very well designed interface, and it's really easy to use. Take for example, the VPS usually comes with 16 IPV6 addresses, but with a single click, you can obtain a /64 block and also generate random IPs from that block. I recommend BuyVM for anyone looking for a stable and affordable VPS.

Thanked by 2netomx Silvenga

Comments

• Tell us something we don't know!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Someone linked me this on skype earlier but I didn't have a chance to reply, but, thanks :)

We put a lot of work into Stallion and hope that the billing2 merge
    is just as awesome (in our eyes at least). I'm currently working out the last
    details on backups & snapshots for KVM's before I start coding away at it.

I hope to have floating IP support in the coming few months as well.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@serverian said:
    Tell us something we don't know!

yup, there are few providers that you don't need reviews, like BuyVM, or Prometeus.

Thanked by 2Maounique taronyu
  • BradBrad Member

@netomx said:
    yup, there are few providers that you don't need reviews, like BuyVM, or Prometeus or RamNode

Now it's perfect.

Thanked by 2netomx taronyu
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Brad said:
    Now it's perfect.

I'm sorry, you're right. Also, FlipHost or serverian, too.

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • MunMun Member

what about Catalysthost, and linode(though not le)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I have to add Inception Hosting onto that list.

Thanked by 2netomx Nekki
  • Buyvm provides solid service

• Is LV stable now?

• the netspeed from LV above seems not fast

@hdpixel said:
    Is LV stable now?

Vegas has been stable for a long time. There was some outages when NTP floods were hitting really hard on everywhere, but I since then gave Fiberhub an autonull.

@jcaleb said:
    the netspeed from LV above seems not fast

You'd have to check the reverse to see if you take above as well. We've seen some async routes where it goes cogent back sometimes.

Francisco

• Vouch for this.

I've been a customer of BuyVM for roughly 2 months now. The server itself is extremely stable, haven't had one minute of downtime & no overselling what so ever is happening, strange huh? (considering 99% of hosts are overselling).

Taking this into regard, I'm proud to call BuyVM a top tier provider. The uptime is great, the people in the IRC are fun to chat to & support, oh my, I cannot even begin to properly word how excellent their support department is.

I'm on their DDoS protected plan, and only one very large (large!) attack has managed to take my site offline, after submitting a ticket and panicking in the IRC like a wild goose, the support team resolved it within 5 minutes and cut down the attack by 3/4. They put filters in-place to prevent it from happening again, and to this day, not one attack has managed to pass through.

I couldn't believe all these reviews about BuyVM, I honestly thought they were fake, but being a client now, I understand what all the fuss is about.

Thank you BuyVM! And most importantly THANK YOU Francisco!

• Buyvm no more #1 in LET poll probably because of slow network speed and slow io comparing to other hosts. Time is going fast and without improvements probably will deadpool soon or after.

Plus stallion is ripped solusvm, right? When there is a problem be sure Francisko will blame something and it's not their fault.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

alexvolk said: Buyvm no more #1 in LET poll probably because of slow network speed and slow io comparing to other hosts. Time is going fast and without improvements probably will deadpool soon or after.

Yeah, because coming 3rd, 4th and 5th in the last 3 provider polls is a clear sign that that they suck, right? They're down in the polls because others have upped their game, and because EVERYONE loves RamNode.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Nekki said:
    Yeah, because coming 3rd, 4th and 5th in the last 3 provider polls is a clear sign that that they suck, right? They're down in the polls because others have upped their game, and because EVERYONE loves RamNode.

These days all LET wants is Ramnode. They have a cheerleading squad in here, after all.. ;)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@0xdragon said:
    These days all LET wants is Ramnode. They have a cheerleading squad in here, after all.. ;)

Ramnode: Such I/O. Much wow.

• @Nekki said:
    Ramnode: Such I/O. Much wow.

But guys.. I can change the node's caching so that all the dd tests appear amazing too.. :(

Thanked by 2isy44h112 howardsl2

@alexvolk said:
    Buyvm no more #1 in LET poll probably because of slow network speed and slow io comparing to other hosts. Time is going fast and without improvements probably will deadpool soon or after.

Plus stallion is ripped solusvm, right? When there is a problem be sure Francisko will blame something and it's not their fault.

Yes, free upgrades to SSD's on all 256MB+ plans in Vegas, free nightly backups, tons of features that solus doesn't have, etc, etc, etc.

We're just dying over here!

Francisco

• edited April 2014

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

I just noticed that BuyVM includes windows 2003 in the cost of the server.. Still better than no windows if you don't want to use linux :P

@Void_Whisperer said:
    I just noticed that BuyVM includes windows 2003 in the cost of the server..

As well as 2008, & 2012.

Once 2003 is EOL it'll be delisted but for now our low RAM plans love the damn thing, no matter how annoying it is :(

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Francisco

I can see why. On my personal windows 2012 vm, it eats 1.2gb min ramwise

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2014

@alexvolk said:
    Buyvm no more #1 in LET poll probably because of slow network speed and slow io comparing to other hosts. Time is going fast and without improvements probably will deadpool soon or after.

BuyVM are not in the top poll because they are no longer active here and there are no coupons. Not because they offer poor service or performance.

Cut through all the shit on LET and the simple fact is that those who make the top is first and foremost because the discounts are good and therefore more sign up. The service and performance will always be secondary but expected. If that was not the case Greenvaluehost would have Deadpooled long ago. In fact I would expect to see them high up in the next poll purely for the volume of clients acquired who are happy only because of what they paid.

It's a bit like volumedrive, shit service and mediocre performance but people stay and put up with it for the value.

My point is that if ramnode stops the 40% discounts they will quickly loose ground and start dropping down the LET polls. People, certainly at LET will not be so quick to pay full price.

This is no different to what happened with BuyVM and many others besides.

And besides, other hosts can setup their servers to make the DD tell you what you want to see.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • HeinzHeinz Member
    edited April 2014

W1V_Lee said: BuyVM are not in the top poll because they are no longer active here and there are no coupons.

Like there were any coupons from them ever...

W1V_Lee said: My point is that if ramnode stops the 40% discounts they will quickly loose ground and start dropping down the LET polls.

That's may be true, but comparing them head to head this coupon give us a vps within similar pricing range ($13 - $15) as BuyVM vps. How high on polls are some BlueVM (not BuyVM, I mean it BlueVM) with their regular appearance and discounts at LEB?

I am not bitching against BuyVM, their service is decent, but there's more competition than ever. Some are simple doing better now.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • I thought the 40% coupons for Ramnode were quite a recent thing. They were riding high in the polls before them?

• LeeLee Veteran

They always had a decent sized coupon, but I just used them as an example.

Virtovo said: I thought the 40% coupons for Ramnode were quite a recent thing. They were riding high in the polls before them?

Pretty sure Nick's coupons have been a pretty constant thing...

People like deals. While i've laid down whatever beef I had with Mr. Clarke, people went clamoring for him last year during the black friday sales just because he had a 50%+ off coupon or something like that.

It's pretty easy to get to a run of the mill SSD setup on an E3 with SolusVM. What else are you bringing to the table that others aren't? Lower price? Well, that works for now until someone can get the sameish deal as you and rinse repeat.

Anyway, this is going to get way off-topic and cause the mods a headache and I'm not sure if vanilla supports splitting threads.

Thank you for the feedback everyone, do try our best.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Yes, free upgrades to SSD's on all 256MB+ plans in Vegas, free nightly backups, tons of features that solus doesn't have, etc, etc, etc.

Tons of features? please list them if you have so much.

Francisco said: What else are you bringing to the table that others aren't?

What you (buyvm) exactly provide that others aren't ?

• Private LAN on both OpenVZ & KVM plans
    • Full nightly backups included in the cost (that the user can take & restore themselves)
    • Full snapshot support (that the user can take & restore themselves)
    • Proper ACL support for VNC & shell access to their consoles
    • Full IPV6 subnetting support on both OpenVZ & KVM
    • a working console
    • another working console that doesn't require JAVA
    • Free pure SSD upgrades on all 256MB+ LV OpenVZ plans
      with Jersey getting the same love as well as all regular KVM plans

That's to top it with us using a panel that hasn't been hacked wide
    open multiple times now. Up until just last year Solus didn't have the ability
    to set VIRTIO for the end user or even proper RDNS controls for IPV6.

Within the year we'll have our full billing system merged into the
    same platform and hopefully around the same time we'll have
    bandwidth pooling, floating IP support, ANYCAST IP support,
    & an API to allow all of this to be handled outside of Stallion itself.

If our panel was so boring and lacking, then why do I still get
    at least 2+ PM's a week from hosts trying to buy it off us? I just recently
    had a $20k+ offer for it as well as a few others.

Francisco

• lpnlpn Member

@Francisco : couple of suggestions for the control panel improvement:

1. ability to change the time zone of the logs listed there

2. ability to add email notifications for API key logins, not just website logins

other than that, it works just fine for me

lpn said: @Francisco : couple of suggestions for the control panel improvement:

ability to change the time zone of the logs listed there

ability to add email notifications for API key logins, not just website logins

other than that, it works just fine for me

Do me a favor and open a ticket for this? :) I'm gathering a list of features
    people are really wanting right now that I can work on. I got people
    wanting 2-factor auth setup ASAP so I'm specing that out while working
    on Jersey's backups.

We need to change the formatting for logs so it provides an actual time as well, not just the Y-m-d.

Francisco