Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BHost Review (London)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BHost Review (London)

LYF_tnLYF_tn Member
edited March 2014 in Reviews

So I'm just going into my third year now with BHost and thought I'd let the community know of my experiences with them. I currently have two OpenVZ hosts with them, one on their Bronze package (512mb ram, 500gb bandwidth) and one on the Silver package (1024mb ram, 750mb bandwidth), both in their London datacenter.
I mainly use them for running low traffic sites and for this purpose theyre absolutely great. I also use the lower spec VPS for running a TeamSpeak 3 voice communications server which handles 15+ clients at busy times.

I've had very little disruption since I've been using them. Sadly I don't have any concrete uptime stats but I can only think of two occurrences of downtime which were both resolved incredibly quickly. The support staff have also always been super helpful every time I've had to contact them (which is in itself very rare) and both times I've had to submit a support ticket the response has been that they are aware of the issue and are already working to resolve it.

Obviously I can't speak for users who need heavy CPU power etc but for my purposes these guys have been absolutely spot on and I can't recommend them enough.

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Glad to see they have filled their marketing manager position :p

• Social engineering 101 on these forums. I've been a moderator at a webmaster based forum for the past 10 years and have to say they at least 'profile build' before unleashing their pearls of wisdom.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Bhost are in London? Last I checked they were with Rapidswitch/Iomart.

Also interesting review considering you have zero posts and just registered and posted this.

• BHostBHost Member

We've actually been asking our customers to write reviews of us and Tweet about us etc. I really ought to ask the customers to provide a link to their site / twitter so it doesn't look like we've just anonymously posted the above.

@Infinity - the DC is as you say RapidSwitch in Maidenhead, which is slightly outside of London. We make the location clear on our datacentres page: https://www.bhost.net/datacentres

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited March 2014

BHost suddenly appears and this review gets posted by a "long time user"? Yeah. No.

Edit: I've been advised by others that BHost values their reputation and wouldn't use a paid review, so I have lost most of my scepticism. Up to you what you think of my opinion :)

• edited March 2014

Just joined for a few days, :)

It would be nice if you can show your uptime status or maybe a munin page with Bhost :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jack said:
    He has an obsession with Berkshire not being central London so when someone says anything about maidenhead he is like well that's not London! That's why he questioned it :-)

It's not central, west, north or south, it's not in London at all. Berkshire is not London. ;-)

• LeeLee Veteran

It borders London (Greater) that is as close as it gets.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • BHostBHost Member

Hey, > @0xdragon said:

BHost suddenly appears and this review gets posted by a "long time user"? Yeah. No.

This is a false accusation and I'd ask that you withdraw it.

• BHostBHost Member

@Infinity said:
    It's not central, west, north or south, it's not in London at all. Berkshire is not London. ;-)

The author of the above review is the one who wrote London, but I'm inclined to agree with the view that almost London = London :)

The latency to central London would be pretty much nothing, and when you order on the BHost website it's made perfectly clear what you're getting - see this screenshot http://imgur.com/ZCj5wb5

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@0xdragon

BHost aren't like that, I highly doubt they would risk ruining their reputation with 1 paid review. Although I understand how it looks to you.

Anyway no complaints from me, my service is rock stable:

16:09:24 up 257 days, 23:03, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

• BruceBruce Member

UK user - maidenhead is NOT london
    EU user - maidenhead is almost london
    US user - maidenhead is london

all depends on your point of view

• @Infinity said:
    Also interesting review considering you have zero posts and just registered and posted this.

I only registered to post the review. I don't usually do this sort of thing but BHost requested on twitter that their users write reviews of their service and suggested this as a site that they are interested in.

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Just joined for a few days, :)

It would be nice if you can show your uptime status or maybe a munin page with Bhost :)

What is a munin page? I'll see if I can get some uptime stats. Current uptime just on TeamSpeak is 92 days.

@0xdragon said:

As I've mentioned, BHost requested on twitter that their users post reviews and mentioned here specifically. Sorry if I've offended you. Im happy to PM you screenshots of my invoices if you want confirmation that I'm a long standing user of their service.

You can find me on twitter @LYF_tn or @TeamScrubLYF.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • BHostBHost Member

Also, we do encourage people to post reviews e.g. in the footer of the VPS control panel https://vps.bhost.net but I think lots of hosts do that.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@BHost said:
    but I think lots of hosts do that.

Hey, if it is a real customer review, kudos to you for a good marketing idea. That said, none of my hosts have ever encouraged me to write any positive comments/reviews about them in public forums. I have also never seen such encouragement in the footer of my VPS control panel. So in my mind this makes you special, if not unique.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    It borders London (Greater) that is as close as it gets.

The significant difference is all these out of London data center seem to suffer a yearly fibre fault - bluesq/rapidswitch/etc.. almost as guaranteed as a bitcoin exchange getting hacked/insolvent every 6 weeks. You don't get these in real London such as Telecity (or at least there's enough redundancy at that low level to fully mitagate it). Granted both can suffer from any number of higher level issues.

• BHostBHost Member

@nonuby said:
    The significant difference is all these out of London data center seem to suffer a yearly fibre fault

I've never had any such issue with Rapidswitch, I'm pretty sure they have diverse fibre http://www.rapidswitch.com/uk-network

• comeone growup @bhost... you guys even don't say order no or welcome email for a day... even a street boy company will work better than you... at least start giving reference number while completing order online, you guys are nothing for fools or making people fools

• Just to update this thread, in case anyone is reading it going forwards, we have moved out of RapidSwitch and are now definitely located in London (in TeleCity's Meridian Gate data center, which is in the London Docklands).

We have also started building our own network, which allows us to offer a range of interesting products such as anycast services.