Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free shell users?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free shell users?

taronyutaronyu Member
edited March 2014 in General

I have seen some people on IRC using a free shell (freeshell.de, sdf.org and so on) and I'm a bit curious about it. I know this is probably dated back from somewhere around 2000 (I was 5 years old at that moment) and it was used allot by people because of it being free.

Are people still using it and why? Why a free shell and not a extremely cheap vps with no limitations?

Comments

• nunimnunim Member

Free/paid shell was popular before VPS became affordable, now there's not much point to it unless you need DDOS protection or want to use one of their vanity V-Hosts.

Thanked by 2netomx Gunter
  • ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

I remember having a shell from gtcomm for psybnc back in the day...

• @nunim said:
    Free/paid shell was popular before VPS became affordable, now there's not much point to it unless you need DDOS protection or want to use one of their vanity V-Hosts.

That was what I was thinking, I was mostly curious if anyone is still using it.

• they are gradually closing down or being bought out. there's still a few providers offering the service on a decent scale.

• I first learned about sdf on this site a few months ago. So I signed up just to see what it was all about. There is very little you can do on it without becoming "validated". Validation involves you paying them. Most of the commands they have there don't work. Maybe if you like text games it might be useful.

One interesting thing that I found was that they accept bitcoin payments to get validated. Also their bitcoin address is from way back in 2011 which is pretty early on.

• I am still using IRC, from `96 till now. But now i have /24 ipv4 and /128 ipv6 ips for irc users. But nothing is free this days.

• anyone might still know some good shell providers free except op mentioned above?
    cheers

• http://sdf.lonestar.org/ has been around for years.

• said: Are people still using it and why? Why a free shell and not a extremely cheap vps with no limitations?

For IRC mostly. Some people don't want to waste money on that but still want some IRC bouncer, eggdrop or screen irssi session. Free shells are perfect for that. I host few friends solely because of that.

• I remember I started my "VPS life" when I had free access to a few services (now defunct) on different networks :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Spirit said:

Can you enlighten me on this? I don't really know what's good on an IrC bouncer, eggdrop, or irssi session :/

• @netomx said:
    Can you enlighten me on this? I don't really know what's good on an IrC bouncer, eggdrop, or irssi session :/

Sure bro :-) Lets start here for beginning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggdrop
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_(software)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irssi

The eggdrop is just to mantain control? kick certain users, etc?
    BNC is for privacy only?

• NickMNickM Member

netomx said: The eggdrop is just to mantain control? kick certain users, etc? BNC is for privacy only?

Eggdrop bots can do a lot of things (there are a lot of addon scripts that can do things like games, or preventing floods), but are primarily used to make it easier to maintain your channel. It can be used for automatically granting certain users op status, voice, etc.

BNC is used to stay connected to IRC even when your personal computer isn't online, so you don't miss anything.

Thanked by 2Spirit netomx
  • twaintwain Member

Koding is still free I think and you might be able to run irc out of that though not sure...

@NickM said: