Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Server - Best Choice for File Access? (Samba, NFS, WebDav???)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Server - Best Choice for File Access? (Samba, NFS, WebDav???)

Hello Everyone

Wondering if I could get some opinions and advice. I have a Linux machine running in my basement that I'm using as a Media Server for the family. There are often times I need to transfer some files to the machine and I am currently using a program to transfer them via SFTP. The program maps a network drive for easy access. However, I'm finding that often the program will loose a connection and I constantly have to reconnect. Also, I would prefer to use something "built in" to Windows Vista and Windows 8 (the two machines I often use to connect) and not rely on a third party program.

I've tried Samba, but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work. I was going to dig in and try to figure it all out, but that got me to thinking if there was an easier solution. Also, this is just my home network, so I don't know if the functionality of Samba is over kill.

I currently use WebDav to connect the Media Server to a box account and mounting that drive is pretty easy. I'm assuming running WebDav on the server itself would be just as easy?

What's your recommendation? What are you using in your home environment to share files?

(Quick Machine Specs : P4, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB HD)

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Samba would be easier to configure and it comes with authentication. NFS doesn't have authentication, but you can limit the hosts that can connect. Both don't support encryption, which doesn't seam like it would matter in your case. NFS does have higher performance because it doesn't have to send authentication each time it goes to send a file. If both machines are Linux based and you don't care about auth/encrypt then go with NFS. It would be more worth your time learning.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Of everything I've tried, Samba has given me the least problems (at least until Mavericks screwed up connectivity, but that's Apple's fault rather than Samba's).

• Thanks for the suggestions. Honestly, from what I read, Samba was supposed to be an easy setup. However, trying to get my Windows Vista machine to connect has just been a freaking nightmare. Apparently there are a bunch of "work arounds" that you have to implement and because I'm running Home Premium, I have to manually edit the registry etc. etc.

Should it really be this difficult?

• If its a Home File Server then try FREENAS. Just dont make a fancy setup and you should be fine.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • tchentchen Member

You could always try Zentyal. It's suppose to be a brain-dead way to get Samba up and running among other things.

• Zentyal would be overkill when he only needs a File server

• KerberosKerberos Member
    edited March 2014

Thanks for the suggestions! @tchen Zentyal looks like a pretty interesting solution for small businesses. I'm going to check it out. (Especially considering my buddy who runs an I.T. consulting company is always complaining about the cost of Windows Server for small businesses.)

I should probably clarify one point. The server I'm currently running is a Ubuntu 12.04 machine and is working great running several applications that I need (i.e. Plex). I'm looking mostly for a simple way to access the server itself so I can transfer files back and forth and also an easy way to manipulate the data on the machine from my Windows Vista and Windows 8 desktops.

• GienGien Member

Install owncloud, and enable webdav you can simply mount (in windows) an network disk. So no need for owncloud sync tool.. transfer speeds are as fast as your switch/router/networkcard/server HDD allows :)

Im using this at home to run backs from multiple pcs and android (tablet/phone)

• I use BTsync. :)

• Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. The people here at LET are always a huge help!!

• Freenas or OwnCloud are very good services, and self hosted :)

• May i recommend you openmediavault.org/

• I find samba pretty good