Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Operating System is best for PC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Operating System is best for PC?

I wanna know which is best Operating System for PC.

I am currently using Windows 7. And thinking to upgrade to Windows 8/8.1.

Which OS are you using?
  1. Windows 8/8.165 votes
    1. Windows 7
      86.15%
    2. Windows XP
      13.85%

Comments

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

what suits you best. personally I prefer windows 7 over 8 mainly because I dislike the dashboard approach the new windows OS uses, I rather have instantly my desktop without having to edit windows itself to get rid of the dashboard interface.

• After 12 years Windows XP will be officially out of any support in less than 30 days.

• Windows 7 exactly for the same reason @Mark_R mentioned

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

neroux said: After 12 years Windows XP will be officially out of any support in less than 30 days.

Who cares, I still used 2k internally (not for browsing and anything) up to a few years back. I still have 98 SE licenses, xp is not much younger, 98 se came up the same year iirc. I even have an xp pro 64 license. Never used except for testing, driver support was somewhat lacking.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • emreemre Member, LIR

I will comment, but someone will say I am a Fanboy of something, so I prefer not to comment, or, did I commented already :D

use linux mint cinnamon ~~~

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • You've effectively disabled the option to choose Windows 8.

• Maounique said: Who cares

You care if you depend on official support or patches.

• GNU/Linux > Win 7 > Win 8.1 > Win 8

Thanked by 1fisle
  • TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited March 2014

I don't know why Windows 8/8.1 option is disabled, i haven't did anything wrong.

• For me, ms windows is history, 8 year before switched to Linux, and never found a single reason to reconsider it !

Fedora 20, CentOs 6

• LeeLee Veteran

Depends on your needs however I always find I need to go back to Windows just because Linux lacks certain compatibility I need for work.

Having recently tried Windows 8 however, I have to say I actually like it and I especially like the feel of the new office suite. I use Excel a lot and it is the best yet.

I have heard that Microsoft are going to offer a free upgrade to 8 from 7, if they do I will take it.

• kerouac said: GNU/Linux > Win 7 > Win 8.1 > Win 8

Agreed.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited March 2014

@kerouac said:
    GNU/Linux > Win 7 > Win 8.1 > Win 8

No offence, but this is quite a subjective list which - objectively - is sort of far from reality.

Without having the desire to get into one of the eternal OS discussion it should be nonetheless said that Windows 8 (and of course even more 8.1) is from a technical point of view ahead of Windows 7. It comes with a lot of improvements API and Kernel-wise.

Whether the changes in the UI and the way it is used is appreciated by people is of course a different topic (and here there has been a lot of criticism, also from my part) but rather unrelated to the technical point of view.

As for Linux, it is a completely different system which is however not worse or better but simply different.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited March 2014

IMHO, if you are forced to use Winbloze as a desktop:

1) Virtualize it on top of a real OS (*nix); never run it on baremetal if you can avoid it

2) Win2k is the most stable OS M$ ever released, IMHO

3) XP Pro (nLited) is not bad and adds the device recognition

Yes, I know about the EOL for XP and that Win7 & Win8 were included in this question :-)

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited March 2014

Windows 8.1 beats Windows 7 in every test in performance (slightly slower in files transfers due to the built in antivirus). (reference). Windows 8.1 also beats Ubuntu in almost every test graphic performance test (reference).

And I personally like the new UI design. In Windows 7, we had this start menu - point and click. Windows Windows 8 I just use the shortcuts (WIN-Q) and type the name of my program. Windows 7 has none of these. I never use the metro interface that everyone is complaining about.

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • dnwkdnwk Member

windows 3.2

• @dnwk said:
    windows 3.2

I take it you like hanzi ;)

• You should go with Gentoo. It's one of the user-friendliest distro's out there.

• DylanDylan Member

geekalot said: ...Winbloze...M$...

The '90s called; they want their blind Microsoft hatred back.

• @Dylan said:
    The '90s called; they want their blind Microsoft hatred back.

May I sign this somewhere? :D

• LOL

@Dylan said:
    The '90s called; they want their blind Microsoft hatred back.>

• MS WIN 7 from few yrs now!

edited March 2014

There is no comparison between 98 and xp. 2k was more stable, true, but in the end xp became just as much after a few years and sp2, i think.

I used to hate 98 because was making my life hard at work, but windows 7 is even better than XP in many aspects. Didnt test 8, I am always late to it because I get my licenses from people that upgrade, not really buying, but I will try it one of these months. What I saw at other people didnt like, though, as an aspect, not functionality.

• Maounique said: There is no comparison between 98 and xp.

Naturally, the former is based on DOS while the latter is NT.

Maounique said: 2k was more stable

Than XP? Hardly.

neroux said: Than XP? Hardly.

At the time they went in parallel. After a while XP became as stable, or this is what i used to think at that time.

• @Maounique said:
    At the time they went in parallel. After a while XP became as stable, or this is what i used to think at that time.

So you mean XP RTM compared to 2000 SP2? That might be, I did not perform any specific comparisons here. But XP in general is a fine and stable system. But so is the NT line generally.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited March 2014

Windows 7 covers my needs, as for Windows 8(.1).., um, well, I'm not to fond of it yet. I have used it however, it's okay. <3

EDIT: okay, Windows 8 is better in performance than Windows 7. So I see why so many people are starting to like it.

• BradBrad Member

I personally like Windows 7 as I'm most used to to, but I do like Win 8's UI a little better.

• I use Ubuntu for development stuff like coding and test. Windows 8.1 for games and 1080p movies. Making Ubuntu or Linux in general to work with my AMD APU+GPU Hybrid is a pain in the butt. Win 8.1 does a way better job in allocating resources. I think if you learn all the shortcuts in Win 8.1, you will like it.

• Win7 for sure it seem no reason upgrade to 8 now.