Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Ask] Kernel Panics
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Ask] Kernel Panics

BayuBayu Member

Is this what is called a kernel panic?

Lately, I had a server lock up or not responding within a few days. I don't know exactly what causes it. Server are generally idle.

I did not find the related logs as shown above, at/var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log.

Is linux (ubuntu) have kernel dump like in Windows?

What caused it, and how to read log that appeared in screen (kvmoip screen)?

Comments

• Yes, that is a kernel panic. You could check the syslog, but I doubt anything was logged. Your best bet is to check to see what the tracelog says but you need to be able to scroll to the top...

• mikegmikeg Member

It you could get the first few lines it would help to identify the exact cause of it. It should be contained in your /var/log/messages file.

• BayuBayu Member

I saw the trace log when I access ipmi, but I can't scroll up the screen. I also have checked the syslog, no log as it appears on that screen.

• laaevlaaev Member

Bayu,

That is a kernel panic. Restart the server and check /var/log/messages.

• mikegmikeg Member

@Bayu said:
    I saw the trace log when I access ipmi, but I can't scroll up the screen. I also have checked the syslog, no log as it appears on that screen.

Can you get the server to boot at all? I see mpt2sas in there, that is the LSI raid drivers. Have you changed anything there recently?

• BayuBayu Member

CVPS_Adam said: That is a kernel panic. Restart the server and check /var/log/messages.

var/log/messages in ubuntu no longer exist in ubuntu 11 or later, replaced with var/log/syslog. But I can't find related text as it appears on the screen.

mikeg said: Can you get the server to boot at all? I see mpt2sas in there, that is the LSI raid drivers. Have you changed anything there recently?

Yes, I can boot my server. Before installing ubuntu, I did change the raid mode to no raid.

Previously, also I've done memtest86 and gimps (prime95 in windows) to check memory and cpu for 24 hours. Seems that problem only occurs when servers in idle state, although I do not know for sure

• mikegmikeg Member

Could be that one of the disks is dropping off and loosing connection.

There may be different versions of the file /var/log/syslog created with numbers after them. Try and search those files.