Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Drive Price Drop! - 100GB for $1.99, 1TB for $9.99
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Drive Price Drop! - 100GB for $1.99, 1TB for $9.99

Comments

• That was good news. Actually really good prices. Hope Dropbox/Onedrive follow with lower prices also.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • this is just awesome. time to move all my backups to google drive

• They call it Backupsy killer. True story.

Thanked by 1Jono20201
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Only Shitcard no Payshit such shit.

Thanked by 1black
  • Infinity580 said: Only Shitcard no Payshit such shit.

I have no idea what you just said.

Thanked by 2user123 Droidzone
  • Any Linux sync tool for google drive?

@TommehM Only Creditcard no Paypal such shit

Thanked by 2TheHackBox chrisp
  • @bdtech said:
    Any Linux sync tool for google drive?

i was just about to ask this. i found https://github.com/Grive/grive and im testing it right now, let me know if you find anything

• blackblack Member

@Infinity580 said:
    Only Shitcard no Payshit such shit.

I chuckled.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Infinity580 said:
    TommehM Only Creditcard no Paypal such shit

You can get a PayPal debit card, I have one.

edited March 2014

@PCJamesy "We're sorry, this credit product is not offered in the country/region where your PayPal account is located."
    Its only for US, go in a corner and shame yourself

Thanked by 20xdragon Noerman
  • So i used headless version of 15 day trial of https://www.insynchq.com/ to sync my backups from vps to google drive. Im going to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.full to sync my phone pics to google drive (was using the same app to sync to vps as well).

• @PcJamesy said:
    You can get a PayPal debit card, I have one.

I tried applying just now out of curiosity, but nope, no dice:

Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days.

(for the record, I'm in Canada.)

• Make sure to encrypt everything before placing it up there, Google loves your data.

DropBox is worse mind you, their recent policy updates actually allow them explicitly to look through your files, and your files contents; if they feel the need (in regards to copyright infringement, etc.)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • can google drive be mounted to your vps and use it to hotlink files?

• as the price goes down, i believe more developer will build google drive compatible app/software. this is just the nature, that people will always hunt for cheap price, and this is a good thing.

$2 for 100 Gigs, i am totally sold. :-D

• Pretty cool, I got the 100gb of a data free for a year because I bought a Chromebook. If these prices stay (not sure if a promo or what), i'll be sure to stay with Drive :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Move everything to Google so they can easily share your data to NSA

Thanked by 2dedicados netomx
  • emdademdad Member

@HardCloud said:
    Make sure to encrypt everything before placing it up there, Google loves your data.

DropBox is worse mind you, their recent policy updates actually allow them explicitly to look through your files, and your files contents; if they feel the need (in regards to copyright infringement, etc.)

Where my personal data will be safe and no one will want to look at it ? :( I store my "not so sensitive" personal data to DropBox, automatically pushed from my phone..... is there any better place?

• tommytommy Member

DewlanceVPS said: Move everything to Google so they can easily share your data to NSA

encrypt your data with truecrypt, boxcryptor, etc and your are safe.

emdad said: is there any better place?

no. I use OneDrive to autobackup picture from my phone.

Thanked by 1putaoren
  • @bdtech said:
    Any Linux sync tool for google drive?

Yes, insync, I have it running on a headless VPS too monitored by supervisord and it works very well (I didnt initially have to do something like find . -type d | xargs touch to get the sync moving but this may of been down to symlinking). dropboxd (headless dropbox) on the other hand continously stops working and seems to fork itself (possibly to handle autoupdates?), let the parent die and thus is now a direct child of init - completely annoying given there is no control options. insync works as described, I think I purchased a lifetime license for $15

• mariomario Member

People will always look for bargain prices, it's not bad though I got 100gb free for a year because of the Chromebook I bought.

• DH22DH22 Member

Nice prices but hard to trust Google Drive with all the issues I experienced when I tried it soon after release. If I recall correctly the worst problem was it constantly duplicating my files. I think whenever I edited anything it made copy instead of updating original file. Stuck with Dropbox and Box (50GB free). Tempting to give another try at these prices.

• georgegeorge Member
    edited March 2014

It can. hubiC is much slower compared to Google Drive. Their WebUI is also pretty minimalistic and honestly it just doesn't work. Considering hubiC is somewhat new you can't even be sure they are gonna stick around for much longer.

• hubic also has no redundancy at all guaranteed.

• @william my understanding was that hubic only considers a "write" successful if all 3 independent back-end writes occur (i.e. redundancy by design). Do you mean guarantee as in contractually?

• marcmmarcm Member

What kind of redundancy does Google Drive offer compared to say Amazon S3? Not that they would be in the same league in my opinion.

• Well the good thing about this is maybe the competition might decide to drop their prices as well. Imagine if Dropbox and Box offer 1TB for less than $9..then that would be really awesome. Amazon can follow suite right after.

• craigb said: Do you mean guarantee as in contractually?

Yes.