Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching for backup service 6-7 TB of storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Searching for backup service 6-7 TB of storage

Mark_RMark_R Member

Hello,

I'm planning to format my main pc which is currency running Windows 7 as OS and install Debian 7 on it,

but before I can do that I need to store all my important files somewhere in order to retrieve it later in my freshly reinstalled pc that will be running debian 7.

I need a affordable remote backup solution that offers me 6-7 TB of storage space, are there any services that allow this amount of data being backed up without limitations?

Thank you.

Comments

• define:affordable

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

I've used both backblaze and bitcasa, they're pretty good.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @chrisp said:
    define:affordable

i'll be using the service for only 1 week max so i guess $40-60/w.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

@SpeedBus said:
    I've used both backblaze and bitcasa, they're pretty good.

backblaze looks really cheap but i wonder if the pricing is realistic for transfering 6-7TB of data without restrictions.

EDIT: Bitcasa looks good.

• You are going to upload 6-7TB and download it within a week? You must have a pretty good connection. My advice is to save the money, buy 1 more hard drive. Move stuff from 1 drive to another. (boot from debian usb stick to format the drive the way you want). I will keep an eye on this thread and see what happens. Good luck

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Amazon glacier?

• Just buy 4x4TB, Atom proc and colo it. You'll save yourself money in a few months. It would take ~$800 to build the system.
    Let's say you pay $45/m for colo.
    If you were to get a dedicated server with 4xdrives, that would set you back about ~$20 per 4TB disk + base cost of the server. So let's say that would cost you $150/m.

This is the way I look at it for servers with bigger drives :/

• So you would transfer 14TB worth of bandwidth in one week - plus the 7TB of storage? Many providers will call this abuse. I would recommend a local copy if I were you. The only provider I see completely allowing 14TB of transfer is Amazon and Google Cloud Storage.

Try Amazon Glacier for ~ $100/m - you just cannot access all your data immediately.

• @rds100 said:
    Amazon glacier?

If i remember correctly i read somewhere on LET recently that Amazon charges you for x amount of data that you download.

I rather just have a fixed price, I'm not a big fan of surprises.

• Bandwith, however, is not guaranteed.

• @Floris said:

Bandwidth is unmetered although they can not guarantee a speed.

• I assume you wanted 8TB raid5,6,10. Please don't raid0, plz....

• @MassNodes said:
    I assume you wanted 8TB raid5,6,10. Please don't raid0, plz....

I know nothing about raid lol. I'm just looking for a onetime storage solution like described in the main post.

• hubiC

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

I think the best approach would be to just buy some new SSD as an OS drive, install debian on that and then attach the rest of the HDDs as data drives. You can even keep using them with the ntfs if you want.

Thanked by 2Mark_R rsk
  • With bigger amounts of storage, your not going to find shared/managed solutions that are cheep. Most likely you'll have to figure out an unmanaged solution to get the more bang for your buck :/

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

@Mark_R said:
    Hello,

I'm planning to format my main pc which is currency running Windows 7 as OS and install Debian 7 on it,

but before I can do that I need to store all my important files somewhere in order to retrieve it later in my freshly reinstalled pc that will be running debian 7.

I need a affordable remote backup solution that offers me 6-7 TB of storage space, are there any services that allow this amount of data being backed up without limitations?

Thank you.

I have a server which is getting free on 24th March , It has 12Tb space. If you can wait till that time then let me know.

• @Mark_R How long are you looking for this solution to stay in place? Like a week or so?

• I wish I had a minimum 200 Mbps connection to the internet from my home PC (not counting local networks).

https://www.google.com/search?q=14+TB+per+week+in+megabits+per+second

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

@rajprakash said:
    I wish I had a minimum 200 Mbps connection to the internet from my home PC (not counting local networks).

https://www.google.com/search?q=14+TB+per+week+in+megabits+per+second

Forget the week thingy, I probably need access to the service for a whole month.

I really didn't do any kind of math on the period that is required to get everything transfered.

• @Mark_R said:
    I really didn't any kind of math on the period that is required to get everything transfered.

Then I´d recommend SYS aswell.

• MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited March 2014

@Mark_R, it is possible if you tar it while moving it to the backup server it would be less then 8TB? You might be able to save money with that simple solution. http://toast.djw.org.uk/tarpipe.html
    Instead of undoing the tar on the server side, wait until you send it back to your self.

• Maybe you can use HubiC
    https://hubic.com/en/offers/

• I really would just say to buy a new hard drive to install Debian on, keep the old drives in the system and them you can move the files around as you like.

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • @PcJamesy said:
    I really would just say to buy a new hard drive to install Debian on, keep the old drives in the system and them you can move the files around as you like.

8TB hdd? That's 2 of those:
    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST4000DM000/dp/B00B99JU4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393951607&sr=8-1&keywords=6tb+hard+drive

Anything else would be way cheaper if he´d only need it a month.
    10 euros for 10TB @HubiC

• @Mark_R I was just pullin' ya leg :)

Mark_R said: Forget the week thingy, I probably need access to the service for a whole month.

I really didn't do any kind of math on the period that is required to get everything transfered.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • DciteDcite Member

For such a large amount of data, I wonder how long it would take you to upload that much as most home Internet Service providers have a much slower upload than download. (150Mbit download on Cable Internet only has 10Mbit upload for some companies).

• At $70 You can probably buy a new 1TB HDD.
    • Would your ISP consider it abuse of resources to transfer THAT much?
    • Technically you only need to backup your OS drive as Debian with the proper driver should be able to access(as in read) NTFS drives. (I won't say it can write to NTFS as I don't know if that's reliable enough to date)
  • hubic limits the transfer to 10Mbits. If you could transfer at that rate (it is normally less than the theorical limit), it would be 100GB/day. To transfer 8TB, it will take abou 80 days.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • I can't even transfer a TB in a month... How are you going to manage to transfer 6-7TB? You would have to have a 100Mbps upload that's fully saturated 24/7 to upload 7TB in a week.

Thanked by 1Pwner