Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

liquid-solutions.biz: A negative experience summarized.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

liquid-solutions.biz: A negative experience summarized.

edited February 2014 in Reviews

Hey everyone.

A few months ago I had a negative experience with Liquid Solutions, which has advertised on Low End Box a number of times.

I fear retribution, so I'll keep my details vague.

I had a VPS with them which I used for some scripts and small-time stuff. Entirely legit; nothing even slightly shady, and my resource usage was almost nothing. I was an early customer when they first started up.

From the first day I logged in, problems abound. Disk IO was always bad; ls would take ten seconds to return contents of my home directory. Logging in with ssh occasionally would time out. There were three outages in total during my time with them, ranging from 4.5-8 hours in length. There were some really bad environment issues, like the OpenVZ host node clock being completely wrong.

Tickets often didn't get addressed for 24-48 hours. This issue in particular I've seen mentioned by others here on Low End Talk.

I finally stopped being a customer when my VPS went offline. I didn't notice it right away because I was in the process of a long-distance move, where I took down my home server which did all of my remote monitoring. When I brought my monitoring back up, I discovered that my VPS had been down for awhile... weeks.

I opened a ticket. Two days and some hours later, I got a reply that my VPS had been corrupted and all data was lost.

Okay, so it's a good thing that I rsync backup my stuff. I guess I can restore...

But the re-image button on the control panel was missing. It's not anywhere to be found. My VPS is corrupted and unusable, but I also can't fix it.

I asked for help about this...

The help I got was that my account was closed and deleted. Note that I had just renewed my service before this. So, they took my money and just resolved the issue by closing my account and sending me on my way.

It's probably for the better anyhow. I got another tiny VPS from another provider and so far it's been a dramatically better experience (VPSdime.com).

I am sympathetic to someone trying to start a new business in this area. It's a low-margin business and providers are going bust all the time. It must be really hard to do this for a living.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend anyone else have the same experience I did.

Comments

• Sorry. I guess this should go in "reviews"? My bad. Mods, please re-categorize as you see fit.

• @eiYeK8dozai6KahyB said:
    Sorry. I guess this should go in "reviews"? My bad. Mods, please re-categorize as you see fit.

You should be able to edit your original post and select 'Reviews' from the drop-down

Thanked by 1eiYeK8dozai6KahyB
  • Oh yea. Thanks.

• OP accidentally randomly generated his nickname instead of his password.

Thanked by 3L0j1k DalComp Mark_R
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Can you please let me know your ticket ID?

I remember we had a user with un-reachable VPS last week. I was not even able to reach it through the main host node as well. It was spitting hundreds of errors. On the other side - all of the other VMs on the same host were working fine.

We never close any user accounts I am absolutely sure about that. User accounts are closed only in a case of abuse and I can guarantee that none account was close dor deleted the past 2 month.

I am ready to work with you, regarding this issues and compensate you generously, proving that our services are not that bad, as described.

Thanked by 1L0j1k
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said:
    Can you please let me know your ticket ID?

I remember we had a user with un-reachable VPS last week. I was not even able to reach it through the main host node as well. It was spitting hundreds of errors. On the other side - all of the other VMs on the same host were working fine.

We never close any user accounts I am absolutely sure about that. User accounts are closed only in a case of abuse and I can guarantee that none account was close dor deleted the past 2 month.

I am ready to work with you, regarding this issues and compensate you generously, proving that our services are not that bad, as described.

While you're at it, you might want to look at the node(at Seattle) that I had the vps refunded into account credits, as I'm having the similar issues(performance, disk IO and ticket support time) as the OP did(except for the uptime that I didn't really checked, but pingdom did reported a few hours of downtime before).

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Yes, I am aware of the lower performance on one of the Seattle nodes. I am working, towards improving the overall IO, across all our nodes.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said:
    Yes, I am aware of the lower performance on one of the Seattle nodes. I am working, towards improving the overall IO, across all our nodes.

tell me when you're done with it though, as I still have some credits at your site.

• said: The help I got was that my account was closed and deleted

^ this is where I usually stop reading and think: he's probably not telling the complete truth.

An anonymous user, "fear of retribution", account deleted so no proof. You'd think you'd be snitching on a mobster to the FBI. Jeez.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • wcypierrewcypierre Member
    edited February 2014

@Zen said:
    So this is fake then?

It's not actually(at least partial of it), the disk IO at the node that I'm provisioned on Seattle is really bad. Although it didn't took me 10 seconds for the ls though(well within 1 second). Network speed is fine, but apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and apt-get install is terribly slow when I first got it(but it's much better now but still not to my taste after trying other hosts that their vps feels really snappy).

Ticket response time not being addressed within 48 hours is true as well, but it is an occasional event. I don't run any mission critical things over here, so I didn't cared much bout support and uptime.

I'll probably give them another try if Alex gives me a nice offer ;)

• wcypierrewcypierre Member
    edited February 2014

@Zen said:
    Well I know that Alex is busy with a ton of stuff that are loosely related to Liquid Solutions, and he does always have his business' best interests in mind. I'm sure the experience will improve this year as he has stated previously.

Sure hope so. I don't want my account funds to drain into the well.

Although, I do feel that he should hire another support tech to improve the ticket response times.

• @Zen said:
    Well I know that Alex is busy with a ton of stuff that are loosely related to Liquid Solutions, and he does always have his business' best interests in mind. I'm sure the experience will improve this year as he has stated previously.

I'm quite confident of this as well. Alex seems like a guy that really cares. It's part of the reason I highly doubt he closed and deleted that account.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I second that, I've worked for Alex in the past and I know he wouldn't delete an account like that and he does care. There has been that one or two nodes in Seattle with bad IO that I remember but Alex did get some more nodes and this year as he said he will be making changes to improve it I believe. I do know he has some personal circumstances right now that are making him quite busy which I'm sure he'll get over soon.