Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bootstraping debian from a centos ovz ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bootstraping debian from a centos ovz ?

Hello guys. Is there any way to install debian remotelly, via ssh and no physical access to a centos ovz installation?
We cannot apply an image at this time and there is no managed support on this server.

Thanks

Comments

• Kind of, but you'll ultimately end up with Debian running on top of your CentOS OpenVZ guest kernel

• Well i dont really care about OpenVZ. All i want is to remove centos and have it replaced by debian

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

You can format the swap space and put Debian on it. Then you boot Debian from swap, format the rest, and do the same thing you did to the swap space to the rest of the drive. When all is done, you format the original swap and set it back as swap space. A few more details in the guide below. Did it once, really didn't take that long.

http://www.underhanded.org/papers/debian-conversion/remotedeb.html

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • texteditortexteditor Member
    edited February 2014

He can't change out the kernel, he's inside the container ( I think)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @texteditor said:

OVZ works this way i guess too. So am i stuck ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@texteditor said:

Oh yeah, was thinking node. Yeah, OP stop hacking into people's vps and changing their OS version to confuse them. Or stop buying from providers who won't let you reinstall the OS ;)

Short version is yeah, consider it impossible.