Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu Cloud/Server - anyone using in production environment?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu Cloud/Server - anyone using in production environment?

openstack, landscape, and other tools for ubuntu look interesting. anyone done much investigation?

if anyone is using ubuntu server on production nodes, what's your experience?

with ubuntu dominating the desktop linux market, will we see their server version overtake rhel/centos sometime soon? OK maybe not RH,but centos could have some competition

Comments

• Actually, pretty much everyone uses CentOS for production environment. I play around with Ubuntu quite a bit and use it for my desktop, but when it comes to anything serious, I'm just not comfortable with trusting Ubuntu or Debian for it. I don't think Ubuntu is going to overtake CentOS anytime soon, if at all.

• dhamaniasad said: but when it comes to anything serious, I'm just not comfortable with trusting Ubuntu or Debian for it

That is your personal preference. I use Ubuntu on desktop and servers (sometimes debian). Ubuntu and debian is a lot easier for me- and I have used Linux for about 10 years now- with about 4 years at the start using Mandrake / Fedora etc.

• @vampireJ said: That is your personal preference. I use Ubuntu on desktop and servers (sometimes debian). Ubuntu and debian is a lot easier for me- and I have used Linux for about 10 years now- with about 4 years at the start using Mandrake / Fedora etc.

Yes, of course, I personally prefer CentOS. And I know that a lot of people prefer Debian based distributions. I am not claiming them to be wrong in doing so, I am only stating my personal opinion on the matter. For personal servers, I use Ubuntu myself, but for production servers/business-critical servers I prefer using CentOS.

Personal usage - Ubuntu

Business usage - CentOS

• Isn't the Ubuntu Cloud/Server a paid offering? That's why in LET no one's using it :)

It's like asking about VMWare paid edition.

• @concerto49 said:
    Isn't the Ubuntu Cloud/Server a paid offering? That's why in LET no one's using it :)

according their website MAAS and Juju is free
    Openstack was also free, for 30 day :p

• @concerto49 said: Isn't the Ubuntu Cloud/Server a paid offering? That's why in LET no one's using it :)

Actually the one that you are thinking about is Ubuntu Landscape. Its only for Ubuntu servers, obviously, and its a paid offering. But for enabling virtualization, you need to pay Ubuntu $700 per year per server. Not something someone on LET might want to pay.

• dhamaniasad said: Actually the one that you are thinking about is Ubuntu Landscape.

That's what the OP said. Landscape.

• @dhamaniasad said:

where you see that?

• @tuguhost said: where you see that?

Here. Although I might have looked at the wrong place.

• @dhamaniasad said:

didnt that was their Systems management price? but im not sure about that too

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

We use Ubuntu on all our production boxes (~ 100 servers)

• @tuguhost said:
    didnt that was their Systems management price? but im not sure about that too

I don't see the pricing for Landscape without system management on their website. I feel like they designed their website with the intention of confusing people.

• dhamaniasad said: I don't see the pricing for Landscape without system management on their website. I feel like they designed their website with the intention of confusing people.

That's correct. It's included together.

• seems that ubuntu server/cloud/openstack is free, will all the addons. except for landscape management tool and support

• what exactly do you get for $350K ? WOW!!!

http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/management

• Used Debian in production for years now.

Lots of companies I know also use Debian.

iirc Spotify actually use Debian/Ubuntu in production too.

• i use debian / ubuntu in production too

• deb/ubuntu shop here too

• The only time I'm willing to use CentOS in production is when it's something I need and it's exclusive to CentOS.

• @Bruce said:
    what exactly do you get for $350K ? WOW!!!

http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/management

maybe you got gorgeous tech :p

• @tuguhost said:
    maybe you got gorgeous tech :p

and "home visits" ;)

also interesting to see there's now ubuntu phone/tablet version. seems they want to rule the world.

• I use Debian at work on a couple boxes. Everything else is Windows. >.>

My VPSes and Home Server are running Debian too. I have used Ubuntu in the past and it has been stable, but I wanted all my systems to be the same OS.

• CharlesA said: My VPSes and Home Server are running Debian too. I have used Ubuntu in the past and it has been stable, but I wanted all my systems to be the same OS.

IMHO- everyone should have the same OS for production, test and dev (which is also usually your laptop / desktop). This would minimize testing.

• Using debain, ubuntu and centos.. but prefer debian

• @vampireJ said:
    IMHO- everyone should have the same OS for production, test and dev (which is also usually your laptop / desktop). This would minimize testing.

Indeed. I am also more familiar with Debian/Ubuntu than CentOS or RedHat, but I like that everything is the same, so I can know if something blows up after an update or not. For example: I had a problem with MariaDB a few months back that completely took down the database on my mail server (conflicted dependencies). I had to roll that package back manually from the cache but didn't run the update on my cloud/web server until a fix was released.