Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reviews or feedback about Hostguard?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reviews or feedback about Hostguard?

I would like to request about some reviews or feeback about Hostguard VPS control panel by @Virtovo or others who were testing it recently.How is it in general as compared to solus & how is hostguard support team?

Comments

• HostGuard support team - Usually 24+ hours for a response to tickets. Talking to their support is a very frustrating experience.

The panel itself - Very buggy. Troublesome installations. Randomly stops working. Almost impossible to get it working in the first go.

• @NickM is what @dhamaniasad said true? Man I really thought hostguard would prove to be a good competitor of Solus in future.

• As far as I know one of the developers/owners uses LET, cannot remember their name though.

• dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
    edited February 2014

@iKeyZ said: As far as I know one of the developers/owners uses LET, cannot remember their name though.

@HostGuardCP. They do have good plans, and I am surely going to give them another go in the future. However, HostGuard just isn't production ready yet.

• HostGuardCPHostGuardCP Member
    edited February 2014

@dhamaniasad
    I don't mean to post this and say you're incorrect, but I just checked the all 5 of your tickets and none of the responses were 24+ hours.

The only ticket you submitted that indicated a potential issue with setting up OpenVZ, I responded 12 minutes later requesting direct access so we could waive the installation fees and do it for you.

Then we can explain what went wrong in great detail as well as update our processes if necessary. I don't see how you were frustrated with the support considering the type of responses we give.

FYI: We're waiving all set up fees for all clients. Therefore, for any client that signs up we will perform the entire installation.

That said, you're feedback is perfectly valid and we will take it on board.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n iKeyZ
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited February 2014

We ultimately had a number of issues that prevented us from implementing it. It's a shame as it definitely has promise and I am sure will eventually become more mature and a serious contender to SolusVM. It certainly does some things better (IPv6!, node monitoring, security)

Response times were between minutes and 24 hours with most being towards the longer. Although when you open a ticket you are talking to the developers rather than a first liner who 'refers to management'

If our timeline was longer on implementation we'd have loved to work with Hostguard on the issues we faced; however we simply were not in a position to do so.

I understand there was a release due a fortnight ago that never appears, so it might be worth waiting for that before anyone jumps on with it.

• @HostGuardCP said: @dhamaniasad I don't mean to post this and say you're incorrect, but I just checked the all 5 of your tickets and none of the responses were 24+ hours.

The only ticket you submitted that indicated a potential issue with setting up OpenVZ, I responded 12 minutes later requesting direct access so we could waive the installation fees and do it for you.

Then we can explain what went wrong in great detail as well as update our processes if necessary. I don't see how you were frustrated with the support considering the type of responses we give.

FYI: We're waiving all set up fees for all clients. Therefore, for any client that signs up we will perform the entire installation.

That said, you're feedback is perfectly valid and we will take it on board.

Well, I just checked the support tickets myself, seems like the longest I had to wait was around 6 hours. I don't know what went wrong here, maybe I got that part mixed with someone else. Honestly, this was what I had remembered, but I do have some memory issues. My bad, nothing wrong with your support. I'll give you guys another go tomorrow. However, the last time I tested, I did not consider it to be production ready. Maybe things have changed. You guys support Xen yet? I believe you were going to add Xen support by mid February?

• @Virtovo - There's been several revisions since then, but we decided evaluate the feedback we were getting about issues such as the ones you were having to ensure we on board clients properly prior to making it public. That includes adding more documentation,making the steps clearer, as well as deciding to offer free installations up front for every one, which means a guaranteed solution and allows us to see what the client sees.

@dhamaniasad - End of February is when we're due for release. We've got v1.2 this week which we'll finally announce (it's huge) then 1.3 is next with the core focus being Xen.

• @HostGuardCP said: @Virtovo - There's been several revisions since then, but we decided evaluate the feedback we were getting about issues such as the ones you were having to ensure we on board clients properly prior to making it public. That includes adding more documentation,making the steps clearer, as well as deciding to offer free installations up front for every one, which means a guaranteed solution and allows us to see what the client sees.

@dhamaniasad - End of February is when we're due for release. We've got v1.2 this week which we'll finally announce (it's huge) then 1.3 is next with the core focus being Xen.

Does this mean that going forward, the installations will be free even for future licenses? I currently have one of your special licenses, if I need to add another Master in the future, does the setup stay free for that as well? I've been looking for a SolusVM replacement for quite a while, and Feathur doesn't look like one. I have high hopes for HostGuard, it looks really nice. Looking forward to your releases.

• Future installs will not be free, we are just ironing out the processes to make sure we have every thing covered. By then we're hoping clients won't need the assistance. If they do, or just want us to do it, then there will be a very minimal fee.

For $10 per month, it's obviously not feasible to hire competent staff at this rate to deliver the level of support we do, let alone development.

We're a bunch of monkeys and love what we do, but we can't pay staff peanuts.

Thanked by 1dhamaniasad
  • HostGuardCP said: We're a bunch of monkeys and love what we do, but we can't pay staff bananas.

Fixed that for ya :P.