Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do ColoCrossing IP's always say New York?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do ColoCrossing IP's always say New York?

BellaBella Member
edited February 2014 in General

No matter what the physical location of the server is, the IP always GeoLocates to New York.

Does anyone know the reason why?

Comments

• Because that's what the WHOIS database says since their offices are located in NY.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@imtiax said:
    No matter what the physical location of the server is, the IP always GeoLocates to New York.

Does anyone know the reason why?

If you have service on our network just ask your supplier to have the IP range SWIPed to the datacenter address.

• BellaBella Member
    edited February 2014

@jbiloh said:
    If you have service on our network just ask your supplier to have the IP range SWIPed to the datacenter address.

I have services with bluevm and all their locations say new York even though it is in Atlanta or Chicago or la etc.

• https://vpsboard.com/topic/3465-bluevm-ownership-questions/?p=52217

If you are going to offer that functionality, make sure you actually do it, and do a good job of it.

Mun

• Google thinks my bluevm vps is in Indonesia.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • XD

• @halczy said:
    Google thinks my bluevm vps is in Indonesia.

Not necessarily. Google also sticks to the language settings of your browser.

• @skagerrak said:
    Not necessarily. Google also sticks to the language settings of your browser.

I don't think that's the case. Mine is set to en_US.

• Buffalo,NY

Always.

• And that's also why fraud-checks simply based on IP gelocation is problematic. Especially if the ISPs geolocate their IPs to their respective headquarter.

• Geolocation is a pain. @jbiloh if you could double check the SWIP addresses, that would be great. I'm fairly certain we don't have any datacenters in Indonesia.

• @halczy when you use it as a socks proxy, some online IP checker will recognize geo location of the ISP.

Or maybe because Gunung Kelud mbledos , rek.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Magiobiwan said:
    Geolocation is a pain. jbiloh if you could double check the SWIP addresses, that would be great. I'm fairly certain we don't have any datacenters in Indonesia.

Just ticket us and we'll get it corrected for ya.