Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need UK Linux server with low latency to US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need UK Linux server with low latency to US

I have had incredible difficulty finding any UK servers with stable, low latency to US. I am not sure if the latency issues are due to congested networks or other nodes maxing out CPU, but I have tried several hosts.

I run game servers for an older 2d game that only needs low RAM (512mb) and minimal CPU+HDD+Bandwidth. Several inexpensive hosts in US such as $5 Digital Ocean plan run the server with ease. As the community is small, players use the same servers regardless of where they live.

Looking for advice or offers in the UK. If you are outside the UK but convinced you have comparable latency to US you can post offers and test IP (need test IP for UK offers too). However I have looked at several other EU locations and nothing has been low enough so think UK is a must. 15-20ms increase is kind of a big deal when latency for some players is already high due to distance.

Mostly have tried Maidenhead locations as the latency (when stable) is good. Might be possible the latency issues are related to Maidenhead in general though. The servers I have used work fine most of the time but then there are periods where the latency spikes up badly (at least 200ms higher). Linode's London location has been the best option I have tried and is mostly stable. Kept looking though as a small percentage of players had higher than expected latency there and price on the high end of my budget.

Prefer LET pricing on a VPS but will consider a bit higher if needed. Will also consider dedicated around $30 USD or less. Monthly payment only since I don't really trust UK servers after several have not worked out.

Comments

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited January 2014

Did not really want to list providers that have not worked out but I suppose it won't hurt. I think many of these hosts would be great options for uses other than game servers.

Linode, MiniVPS (worked better than other maidenhead locations, may have to give another try), InceptionHosting, LoveVPS, Dediserve, NECS, GBServers

I think that is the full list. Again many hosts in the US work just fine.

• BradBrad Member
    edited January 2014

Hi @DH22

We have plans in Kansas (central US) and Dallas (southern-west US) if you are interested. We might be able to set you up for a test drive.

• We're located in MA, USA which has low latency to UK and USA.

• I am looking for UK. I already have multiple US locations that work perfectly.

• I run a quake 2 server on a vps from OnePoundWebHosting. Pretty decent latency to east coast us and very stable.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

If you would like a server in Central London I'd be happy to throw something up, ~1ms away from LINX. Just shoot a PM.

• Try EDIS

http://uk.edis.at/

I get 77ms ping to a server in NY