Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New dedi, installed Windows 2008, now what?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New dedi, installed Windows 2008, now what?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited March 2012 in Help

So, yesterday @Amfy posted a good deal to transfer one of his OVH dedis and I took it immediately after seeing it (first dedi in life!), and I have got Windows 2008 R2 installed on it (The box has E6550 CPU, 2GB memory and 500GB raid HDD), and at the moment, I only have a MSSQL installation (not even a DB instance running).
What other suggestion do you have for this baby? And please don't tell me to reinstall Linux, I would need to do some coding on .NET later on.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Thanked by 1Amfy

Comments

• You can use Mono on Linux.

• @Daniel: Thanks for the tip, heard Mono is still having issue with the .NET framework? Like some libraries are not implemented properly? I am not sure if that is going to cause any problem later.
    But thanks for your suggestions though!

• Mono has always been a constant pain in the ass. 3 years of working with mono (running a RunUO server reliant on .NET), and I still ended up just switching back to Windows for it. And coming from someone that hates Win as much as I do, that's saying something <_<

• @Aldryic said: Mono has always been a constant pain in the ass. 3 years of working with mono (running a RunUO server reliant on .NET), and I still ended up just switching back to Windows for it. And coming from someone that hates Win as much as I do, that's saying something <_<

.NET/Mono is slow too, I've found even PHP surpasses it in terms of speed.

• @Aldryic @Daniel Before this topic drift any further...any suggestions on how I can use this dedi? :)

• Heh, sorry about that. I'm at a loss, sorry... other than the obvious (IIS, domain control, etc), I'm far too inexperienced with Windows to make a decent suggestion =\

I have a debian KVM that I use as a remote "PC" (VNC, X-forwarding, etc)... you could do something along those lines.

• You could install Google Chrome so your not forced to use Dreaded IE on it? Although on every file it downloads (even HTML files) it ask for your permission IE

Because it just sucks.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited March 2012

Put HyperV on it and do Linux/Win vpses?

• xenuxenu Member

@Daniel, stop trolling, you can easily disable IE ESC in server manager.

• NickMNickM Member

@Raymii said: Put HyperV on it and do Linux/Win vpses?

Not with only 2GB of RAM.

• @xenu said: @Daniel, stop trolling, you can easily disable IE ESC in server manager.

Im not trolling, I used Windows Server once for a game server, and got really annoyed with the popups and found no way to disable it.

SO i installed Chrome on it.

• @NickM Oops, did not remember that correctly... You could try Folding@HOME, technically it would be Folding@VPS...

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

Well, it is not a vps, more like folding@dedi :)
    I also dont have much windows experience, I just sold my last laptop with xp home OEM licence since I dont play games anymore, but since then i already needed a win machine to run xencenter at some point, so you may never know when you need it :P
    There are many java projects that can run on windows too, there are DNS setups, can be .asp server, .NET, teamspeak, streaming platform, most things you can do with linux have a win port of some kind and, naturally, native apps will be at home. Not to mention you can still run vmware server (outdated EOL), vmware player or virtualbox if you need a "real" linux machine.
    M

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @Maounique: Interesting idea, I might just set up a few more virtual machines on it :)