Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a suggestion to vps providers, as a wounded customer :(
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

a suggestion to vps providers, as a wounded customer :(

I am in big tension today, crissic removed the vps from LA, they emailed regarding LA data center is closing so they are removing VPS, i though they will transfer my vps to their other location, but they just terminated my vps, now i am in trouble as i do not have backup. and crissic is saying we have terminated your account without backup. even i have due date till end of this month, but they terminate without backup, i dont know what to do but in tension.

last month hostgator moved the services from one data center to other, but they did everything without harming to their customer, but here my business is going to ruin. :(

This is really un-professional way to remove the data of customers and remove their vps before their dues without taking backup, might be many of customer do not read junk mails or busy in christmas etc... before terminate they should had suspend the vps so i was able to aware about the termination. but its direct termination.

the one who bought the vps for a year so will you terminate his vps just within a month ? without backup, just because he did not create ticket to go to your other location ?

We pay for services and we do not pay for do not get services and in exchange we get termination of whole data center server. If they have used to suspend their vps before termination i am sure it was really decent way to intimate.

now i am worried ...... :(
i am sharing my story just as a customer, and here lot of providers are present so you should learn from the customers loss. first, ****must suspend**** the vps, and then terminate after few days. by this they would be aware of the situation better if emails are not read or goes to junk box.

Thanked by 1darkshire

Comments

• edited January 2014

@SkylarM - Can you shed any light on this? What's going on in LA?

• Have to say it: Always keep your own backups, offsite, at home also. Never trust a provider, whatever you pay per month that they really have backup that actually works when the disaster happens.
    Always keep updated backups at least on your home computer, and maybe at some offsite servers. But at least at home.
    Don't feel sorry for people that have "lost everything" because they don't take 5 minutes to download a backup file.

But sorry to hear about your problems with the host. Not very fun.

Thanked by 1anyNode
  • That is very weird. @SkylarM has been very responsive and prompt so far. I have one VPS with them for 3 months by now

• @myhken said:
    Have to say it: Always keep your own backups, offsite, at home also. Never trust a provider, whatever you pay per month that they really have backup that actually works when the disaster happens.
    Always keep updated backups at least on your home computer, and maybe at some offsite servers. But at least at home.
    Don't feel sorry for people that have "lost everything" because they don't take 5 minutes to download a backup file.

@myhken said:
    Have to say it: Always keep your own backups, offsite, at home also. Never trust a provider, whatever you pay per month that they really have backup that actually works when the disaster happens.

if what he says is true then it could've be done better.

• http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/13223/dm-los-angeles-node-removal-important-crissic-solutions-llc

Looks like they've been advertising the move for a few months now. If you can't read your emails between Sept and Dec, I'm not sure how to suggest you move forward.

• @ironhide said:
    That is very weird. SkylarM has been very responsive and prompt so far. I have one VPS with them for 3 months by now

Had a KVM VPS for a few months. No major issues. Quite strange indeed.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    SkylarM - Can you shed any light on this? What's going on in LA?

Los Angeles was closed this month. We initially intended to move all data over to BlueVM but it ended up not happening. We only had about ~5 customers or so still active in LA so we opted at the beginning of January to close LA up.

We sent out approximately 5 (FIVE) seperate emails over the course of a 30 day period explaining that we are closing up the LA location, and we suggested contacting us to migrate to JAX if Location was of no concern, or you're on your own to find an alternative provider before the 1st of January.

As much as I wish we had backups of this client's data, we sent out multiple emails over a 30 day period explaining in great detail what would occur, and it included a migration option that very clearly required a support ticket initiated by the client if they wished to keep on with Crissic. Only so much I can do when a client ignores all emails and blames us for it.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • @Mark_R said:
    if what he says is true then it could've be done better.

Of course, not well handled by the host. But still, alway keep your own backup if the stuff is really important to you.

• @SkylarM said:
    words words words

Thanks for chiming in. I've always known you to be extremely responsive and well detailed in all of your emails, so I find it hard to think that this would be handled like that. Looks like you did everything that you could. Possible language barrier misread (or flat out not reading emails) on the client end.

• DilstarDilstar Member
    edited January 2014

At hostgator they do on and off the services of client while transfer any data, just to aware their clients to change their ips to new server.

It was a suggestion to suspend the account before terminating. by this if someone have overlooked the emails , he would better aware the situation. There should not be one way of delivering the message.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited January 2014

My count was a tad off on the amount of emails we sent out. We sent out 3 emails. My mistake. We do our best to notify clients of any potential issue including this specific LA closure. While the exact timeline for closure was not ideal due to the holidays, the email sent on 11/26 gave you ample notification to have services migrated to JAX or find an alternative provider for your LA Location requirements.

I would also like to stress that our email tools DO monitor for clicks/opens, you appear to have 3 clicks on one of them sent out near the end of the month, and have 1 click on the one sent on the 16th of December.

Date: 11/26/2013
    Email:

Good afternoon,

>

If you are receiving this notice then you presently have one or more active services on our LA node.

>

At this time, we will be discontinuing ALL services in Los Angeles at the end of next month -- that means any remaining LA service will be shut off no later than the 31st of December 2013.

>

If you wish we can migrate your service to our Jacksonville, FL location that will remain unchanged. Any services remaining in LA will be shut off on the 31st of December.

>

We thank you for your business, and wish you the best of luck if you are wishing to remain with an LA based service.

Date: 12/16
    Email:

As a reminder, on December 31st 2013 (end of this month) our Los Angeles node will be taken offline. If you are receiving this email, our systems indicate you still have service with us in LA.

>

At this time we are offering migrations to our Jacksonville location, which will result in new IPs. If you'd like to migrate to Jacksonville please submit a ticket. If you intend to keep your VPS in Los Angeles, you will unfortunately need to secure a new provider by the end of the month. No data or backups will be accessible past December 31st of this year.

>
    >

Thank you for your understanding, and happy holidays!

Date: 12/30 (note we extended 2 days, and even technically shut it off on the 3rd, giving extra time)
    Email:

This is a final notice that our LA node will be shut off January 1st, in just a few days. If you wish to migrate data to Jacksonville, now is the time to submit a ticket with the request. It is advisable that you transfer all data off of the LA node to either JAX or your new provider no later than tomorrow the 31st.

>

Thank you

• @SkylarM - I don't recall if you standardize billing days, but if not, I presume all customers with remaining time were offered a refund for time unused?

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited January 2014

@daxterfellowes said:
    SkylarM - I don't recall if you standardize billing days, but if not, I presume all customers with remaining time were offered a refund for time unused?

Most clients migrated or issued a ticket requesting refunds yes. We did not go through and pro-actively clear up any outstanding balances without a ticket being submitted. I've issued a refund to the above client to the best of my ability based on processor restrictions with refunds. We had 3 clients left when the node was shut off on the 3rd, everyone else had migrated, cancelled services at their last due date, or requested a refund by this point.

• The refund is not complete, also i did not say to refund me, he dont want me to continue with him and he reject to provide the services to me. only just i said to him to suspend and then terminate is best option. and if direct termination you should take the backup first. I told him to give me same vps, without data as he do not have data, but he refuse to provide services.

• edited January 2014

@Dilstar - If he has provided you refunds, then you're free to either resign up with @SkylarM or continue to a different host that can service your needs. It appears that ample notice was given and if you declined to move and didn't take backups, I don't find it Skylar's issue.

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

• hmm, can someone remove my thanks from the op please ? :/

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • @Dilstar said:
    The refund is not complete, also i did not say to refund me, he dont want me to continue with him and he reject to provide the services to me. only just i said to him to suspend and then terminate is best option. and if direct termination you should take the backup first. I told him to give me same vps, without data as he do not have data, but he refuse to provide services.

We opted to issue a refund instead of setting up a different VPS in JAX. I'll update the ticket to try and clear up the remaining $2.01 balance, but we're not going to offer services in JAX for you at this time.

Thanked by 2ironhide AuroraZ
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

There is only so much a host can do in this situation, and someone will always say you could have or should have also done XYZ as well. if he only suspended 24 hours in advance people say it should have been 3 days, then someone will say 7 days if they give you 3 days.

Then people will say you should have done XYZ as well, its silly, at some stage you have to simply take responsibility yourself.

Its really unfair to point the finger when 30 days notice and 5 emails were sent to you and then start a public complaint about it.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • ironhideironhide Member
    edited January 2014

Dilstar said: The refund is not complete, also i did not say to refund me, he dont want me to continue with him and he reject to provide the services to me. only just i said to him to suspend and then terminate is best option. and if direct termination you should take the backup first. I told him to give me same vps, without data as he do not have data, but he refuse to provide services.

He sent you three Emails in last 30 days. And you didn't care to act for one and now you are whining? What a drama queen!

@SkylarM didn't do anything wrong I can see for sure! Rather it's your fault that you didn't take any steps even after being informed.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @Dilstar you should try @ftpit i got 9 VPS Great Deal from them, and all was running perfectly, Meet the requirement for the RAM also the Port and last thing i was really proud is their Support very responsive and responsible.