Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup data < 100Gb - What are the servers options?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup data < 100Gb - What are the servers options?

I could see a few offers with 250Gb (for $5) and 100Gb ($3.5).

When you need less than 100Gb, what are the options of servers to backup you use?

Comments

• RamNode 50gb <$2/mo could work.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • You could get a RamNode VPS? 90GB SSD-Cached Storage, 128MB RAM. $14.88 with coupon WOWNUM1 - The Plan is CVZ-E5

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Yes, the problem I see to use a third company is: your data is there, too, right?

I'd like to find a solution server A and server B (backup) only see my data.

If 100Gb costs $3.5, $50 will cost $1.50 - $2

In the other hand, you can download for your own computer and upload again (not the best option).

• You could get a backupsy if other people being able to see your data is a problem. Its KVM based so if you use LVM encryption then it'd be excessively hard for anyone to snoop into your data.

• akbakb Member

rmlhhd said: You could get a RamNode VPS? 90GB SSD-Cached Storage, 128MB RAM. $14.88 with coupon WOWNUM1 - The Plan is CVZ-E5

Its 50 GB not 90

• @akb said:
    Its 50 GB not 90

Ah yeah, wrong plan. The one above it has 90GB.

• Yes, it is not 90Gb.

128MB RAM
    128MB VSwap
    1 CPU Core Access
    50GB SSD-Cached HDD Space
    1Gbps Port
    500GB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address
    16 IPv6 Addresses

• Is it Linux? Have you thought about something like tarsnap.com?

• Prometeus do 50Gb backup space for €10/year or 100Gb for €18/year

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=15

• Used Prometeus backup plan (256 MB/400GB) for over a year now, and could not be more happy. 99.914% uptime (with 1 minute monitoring) last year. And it's fast compared with all of the US solutions I have used in the past.

• Likewise I use it too and have no complaints at all. Great price, always works, simple solution - exactly what i want in a backup offering.

I use it with duplicity, perfect simple backup solution:

http://www.paulrae.com/2013/06/01/duplicitybackup-sh-a-helper-script-to-manage-duplicity-backups/

• prae5 said: Prometeus do 50Gb backup space for €10/year

Something like $1 / month.

daxterfellowes said: Have you thought about something like tarsnap.com?

Can you give your opinion about it?
    It looks like not cheaper than prometeus.

• @dhamaniasad said:
    You could get a backupsy if other people being able to see your data is a problem. Its KVM based so if you use LVM encryption then it'd be excessively hard for anyone to snoop into your data.

I second this. I been using backupsy for almost a year now and its gone great and the lvm works like a cram

• DragonDF said: Can you give your opinion about it? It looks like not cheaper than prometeus.

Just started using it, currently running my first backup through it. It looks a bit like rsync. If you think its not cheaper than prometeus, read this. I will share my opinion about it once my backup completes.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @DragonDF said:

Unfortunately, I have not personally used them. It's my understanding that it becomes cheaper after all the data is synced up and nightlies/hourlies take less space since they de-duplicate data.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • dhamaniasad said: Just started using it, currently running my first backup through it. It looks a bit like rsync. If you think its not cheaper than prometeus, read this. I will share my opinion about it once my backup completes.

I do not know. Maybe my mistake. But I could not see advantage, yet.

In the example I could read there:

This server has over 6,000 archives stored — hourly backups for over 8 months — which add up to a total of 17.7 TB; but after duplicate blocks of data are removed (or more precisely, only stored once), that drops to 13.8 GB, which is then compressed to 3.3 GB — an amount which costs less than $1/month to store.

In index page:

Storage: 300 picodollars / byte-month
    ($0.30 / GB-month)
    Bandwidth: 300 picodollars / byte
    ($0.30 / GB)
    These prices are based on the actual number of bytes stored and the actual number of bytes of bandwidth used — after compression and data deduplication. This makes Tarsnap ideal for daily backups — many users have hundreds of archives adding up to several terabytes, but pay less than $10/month

1GB = $0.30 to storage + $0.30 to bandwidth = $0.60 / Gb

First time you do a backup (50Gb):

50Gb x $0.60 = $30

In prometeus I could use 50Gb (zipped files made by cpanel) for $1 / month.

I could not understand this part:

to a total of 17.7 TB; but after duplicate blocks of data are removed (or more precisely, only stored once), that drops to 13.8 GB

From 17.7TB to 13.8Gb after compression. \o/

In Cpanel's hosting your backups are already ZIPPED.

As I wrote in the beginning, maybe my mistake.
    Maybe someone could explain it better.

• What do you think about to use AMAZON GLACIER as a backup solution?

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-amazon-glacier-as-a-dirt-cheap-backup-solut-1460814873

Amazon Glacier is a low-cost, online storage service where you pay every month only for what you use (online storage space plus data transfers). It's like Amazon's other inexpensive storage service, S3—only about 10 times cheaper.

CrashPan's unlimited backup for one computer is $5.99 a month. That's about the same you'll pay per month to store 600GB on Glacier. P
    Other examples: 100GB would be $0.88 a month on Glacier; 200GB would be $1.88 a month; 300GB would be $2.88 a month.

Why not to use Amazon as a Backup solution?

• crashplan is a solid service.

i was with them for 3 years before i went the, backupsy + btsync route for my backups.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • DragonDF said: I do not know. Maybe my mistake. But I could not see advantage, yet.

Yeah, don't use it. Charged me $4 for 9GB of files. Now if I keep adding original files, they'll charge me an arm and a leg.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @daxterfellowes said:
    Is it Linux? Have you thought about something like tarsnap.com?

Tarsnap is positively awesome. Data-deduplication and compression for free. My picocent usage this month was a few US cent.

• nonuby said: Tarsnap is positively awesome. Data-deduplication and compression for free. My picocent usage this month was a few US cent.

How much data are you storing there? How often do you update the data?

• @DragonDF said:
    What do you think about to use AMAZON GLACIER as a backup solution?

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-amazon-glacier-as-a-dirt-cheap-backup-solut-1460814873

I second the recommendation. I use Galcier through Arq (for mac), I store my most important stuff there (about 50 GB), the bill is about a dollar every month. It is pretty neat for backups in my opinion

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

Prometeus have a 50% off coupon (so €9 or $11.70/yr) for their 100GB backup plan right now:

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=82&promocode=FTP10050

• @nonuby said:
    Tarsnap is positively awesome. Data-deduplication and compression for free. My picocent usage this month was a few US cent.

I have doubts about this, too. I could not see advantage for a BACKUP solution (some Gb).

@iamm said:
    I second the recommendation. I use Galcier through Arq (for mac), I store my most important stuff there (about 50 GB), the bill is about a dollar every month. It is pretty neat for backups in my opinion

Yes. I could see the problem is when you want the backup back. You have to wait a few hours and pay a tax (if I am not wrong, $20).

For me, the best option until now.

@Dylan said:
    Prometeus have a 50% off coupon (so €9 or $11.70/yr) for their 100GB backup plan right now:

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=82&promocode=FTP10050

Total Recurring: $11.70 Annually
    $1/month for 100Gb and 400Gb traffic.
    Not bad. :)

• I just use an €8 Kimsufi and ownCloud.

• Question about Prometeus Backup Plan please, is it a complete VPS or a FTP account ? Thanks !

• @Com3x said:
    Question about Prometeus Backup Plan please, is it a complete VPS or a FTP account ? Thanks !

I think that plan only is a FTP account. I have used their KVM backup plan, and it's not the same as what you are looking at now.

Thanked by 1Com3x
  • Com3x said: FTP account

Thanked by 1Com3x