Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any review about redstation.com?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

any review about redstation.com?

hi, I will order a dedicated uk server at redstation.com
any review about it?

Thanked by 1FennecFox

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Bandwidth is oversold alot, my mate got a 10gbps unmetered quote for $1,000

• What's keeping you? They are good.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2014

They're fine as long as you don't need to use it as a mail server

• What Iniz said. I used them for nearly a year (flawlessly) but the forced relay for mails is unnecessary painful.

• They're great, nice support team, pricing is a little bit wonky, you can usually get a deal if you call them up.

Mail Relay is annoying...
    Bandwidth is oversold, but it's rare you couldn't burst to your allowance.

Also note that they don't support private vLans so you couldnt have multiple nodes with a shared IP block, and they're quite tight on IPs.

• Yes, they are good for web hosting.

• jhjh Member

The mail relay is annoying but in general, yes, they are good.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

here is my review: Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid

Typical bait and switch tactics.

I guess to be fair if your using a server that does not host any clients, does not send mail and that you don't have absolute control over they are probably fine however absolutely everything about them is set up to get money for nothing after sign up.

They also provide HW raid 10 on hot swappable servers however if you have a dead disk and can show a smart report etc showing it is dead they still refuse to hot swap the disk, what they want to do is to take your server offline for 24 - 48 hours while they run the full dell diagnostic on your server, only then will they swap the disk if it is in fact faulty :) if the dell diagnostic does not tell them the disk is faulty then they want about £150.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • Could anyone explain why they require you to use a mail relay for their dedicated servers? To prevent spam? Proactive approach rather than a reactive?

• nunimnunim Member
    edited January 2014

@daxterfellowes said:
    Could anyone explain why they require you to use a mail relay for their dedicated servers? To prevent spam? Proactive approach rather than a reactive?

Yes, and they don't even allow you to send very many mails from their relay, only 100 per day from a secondary IP. If you want to send more mail, you need to pay more money.

I'm sure it saves them quite a bit of hassle with Spamhaus and the works but it's quite annoying to customers, and you'll have to teach each of your VPS customers to use their relay.

http://www.redstation.com/dedicated-server/dedicated-server-faqs#mailrelay

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?s=17753ce10cd9eba2eebac03d59edca23&p=8341091&postcount=9 <--- Post from RedStation about the forced mail relay

• @nunim I was reading up on it from their FAQ's. Seems like any knowledgeable VPS host wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole because of mail relays in that fact. 5 containers (being very conservative) sharing maybe 750 emails/day. 150 emails each?

Unlikely if they use e-mail anything.

• Maybe isn't so bad? Evorack operate out of Redstation several years.

• I don't think the relay system is so terrible. It will save a lot of headaches for VPS providers.

• @Virtovo said:
    I don't think the relay system is so terrible. It will save a lot of headaches for VPS providers.

I suppose. Protects both providers from any problematic email spam, but at the same time reduce the amount you can send.

• YKMYKM Member

SMTP hassle, another hop and no way of verifying the mail did or didn't get delivered, no access to logs etc..

@daxterfellowes said:
    Could anyone explain why they require you to use a mail relay for their dedicated servers? To prevent spam? Proactive approach rather than a reactive?

That was my initial thoughts however I personally think they do this to generate revenue and here is why.

The don't mind you using another port or piping mail over IPv6, if they pick up just 1 message reported as abuse they shut down your server and ask for a £500 deposit before turning it back on, if you pay it they then charge £60 for every email they decide is spam after that.

You also have the option to avoid this by upgrading to a managed service at about £200 p/month.

That combined with the fact that 90% of the traffic goes out over talktalk and virgin just put me off them years ago.

I guess I am being a bit harsh but I honestly don't think they are friendly for anything except your own stuff, if your going to have anything on your server that gives customers access to anything then its a bad idea to use them because they are just not interested in common sense.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

My experience with them was meh, there were some ridiculous charges here and there and I know most of the traffic was from Virgin Media and other crappy providers and oversold as hell although for my use it performed well enough. Mail relay was a PITA.

But the deal breaker for me was when I saw, I think it was domVPS about a year ago having their prices increased by a ridiculous amount I think. Not sure if the thread was still here or if it still exists. I s'pose it might have changed now that iomart owns it, but I doubt it.

@Infinity said:
    My experience with them was meh, there were some ridiculous charges here and there and I know most of the traffic was from Virgin Media and other crappy providers and oversold as hell although for my use it performed well enough. Mail relay was a PITA.

But the deal breaker for me was when I saw, I think it was domVPS about a year ago having their prices increased by a ridiculous amount I think. Not sure if the thread was still here or if it still exists. I s'pose it might have changed now that iomart owns it, but I doubt it.

Yeah pretty much this, you cant be even remotely sure the price you agree is what you will end up paying and you wont win if you try to negotiate, they just stone wall you.

• @AlexanderM said:
    Bandwidth is oversold alot, my mate got a 10gbps unmetered quote for $1,000

I will order 100M unmetered traffic. how about oversold bandwidth.. 100M not dedicated?