Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I obtain the UUIDs of /dev/vda1 and Digital Ocean system?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I obtain the UUIDs of /dev/vda1 and Digital Ocean system?

I have accidentally overwritten the /etc/fstab of my system. Unfortunately the blkid command is not report the UUIDs for the partitions of the disk. I only get the UUID for /dev/vda but not /dev/vda1 which is the one used..

How can I obtain the UUIDs and repair the /etc/fstab.

Comments

• Use /dev/vda1 in fstab instead of UUID.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • When I do check /dev/disk/by-uuid or /etc/mtab suprisingly there seems to be no /dev/vdaX, just '/dev/vda / ext4 rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0'.

That is rather unusual. Can the text in /etc/mtab be added to /etc/fstab, are the entries in /etc/mtab the same as those in /etc/fstab with perhaps the addition of defaults?

• @rchurch check grub.cfg or menu.lst for the UUID that grub passes to the kernel as the root filesystem value - it should match what you're finding for /dev/vda (btw, no problem to have no slice number after the vda...just means that partition covers the whole disk; I.e single partition drive).

And yes, you can regenerate your /etc/fstab in the way you suggested.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Try ls /dev/disk/by-uuid