Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metro-Detroit Weather Advisory
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Metro-Detroit Weather Advisory

SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
edited January 2014 in Providers

Hello LowEndTalk,

I just wanted to let people know with services in the Metro-Detroit area that there is a severe weather advisory for the area. This includes snow starting this evening and heavy snow starting tonight into Sunday. There is a expected 6"-10" of snow by Monday morning.

Our data-center has taken precautionary measures including testing of generators, making sure fuel levels are full, and backup fuel is available encase of a power outage. I'm not aware of what the other data-centers are doing however I am sure that they are doing the same.

Remember to stay safe if you are in the area and try to keep off the roads at this time.

Some providers that may be in the affected area:
-Srvis (formerly ErrantWeb)
-AnyNode
-Magoro
-CoreNetworks
-Ace-Host
-D10Host

Regards,
Travis W.

Stay safe guys :)

Thanked by 1anyNode

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2014

Question: When Power supply fails, you get batteries and generators right?

But what about the network cables/switches out of the DC not far away? I think they need also power to run.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Infinity580 said:

But what about the network cables/switches out of the DC not far away? I think they need also power to run.

You'll find that all the upstream providers will have power redundancy too.

Thanked by 1SrvisLLC
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So basically in Detroit could completely fail the power and everything would Stay online?

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited January 2014

@Infinity580 said:

The main thing is the power, if power fails inside of the data-center it would bring down all of the peers. There are multiple peers going into the dc so if one goes down it wont affect the data-center as if power went down.

Infinity580 said: So basically in Detroit could completely fail the power and everything would Stay online?

In a way yes. Data-centers basically operate the world now so if they go down every time a city loses power there would be a lot of trouble in this world.

• tuxtux Member

@SrvisLLC said:
    Hello LowEndTalk,

I just wanted to let people know with services in the Metro-Detroit area that there is a severe weather advisory for the area. This includes snow starting this evening and heavy snow starting tonight into Sunday. There is a expected 6"-10" of snow by Monday morning.

Severe weather? I think that is normal weather in winter in Northern America.

• @SrvisLLC said:
    In a way yes. Data-centers basically operate the world now so if they go down every time a city loses power there would be a lot of trouble in this world.

Is the energy-infrastructure of the cities in the USA really that bad? During the last 9 years my city (located in .de) did have one outage. And that one was announced a few days ahead because of upgrades to the network. However, I had more outages with providers and datacentres around the world.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@skagerrak said:

Heh, forget the USA, what about England. We have a power outage every few weeks. ;p

I have developed my own backup power system because of this (bunch of large batteries and inverters, some isolators and clever relays and timers to charge batteries at night when energy is cheap and the isolators to make sure none of my juice goes back to the national grid). Was a fun project which took months and is something you should never try at home unless you're an idiot like me because you're messing with lots of power and the main input to the building. :P

• skagerrak said: Is the energy-infrastructure of the cities in the USA really that bad? During the last 9 years my city (located in .de) did have one outage. And that one was announced a few days ahead because of upgrades to the network. However, I had more outages with providers and datacentres around the world.

The power infrastructure in Metro-Detroit isn't that great. Mainly it will be short power-outages / power flickering on and off. I'm not saying the snow could bring down power, just warning people in-case it did. It is supposed to start snowing 1" per hour at 2PM today. Since most of our power in Michigan is above ground, it wouldn't surprise me if someone drives like a idiot and crashes into a poll taking down street or two.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

1" per hour? Damn, you're fucked up. What's why I love to live in mexico :p

Thanked by 1SrvisLLC