Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting the IP of my site - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting the IP of my site

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@OkieDoke said:

i FUCKING understand you. I dont know why is it so nice to do that!

• VPNVPN Member

@netomx said:
    i FUCKING understand you. I dont know why is it so nice to do that!

Like a kid on Christmas day with a new toy! (Assuming you celebrate Christmas, if not replace 'Christmas day' with December 25th lol)

@OkieDoke said:
    Like a kid on Christmas day with a new toy! (Assuming you celebrate Christmas, if not replace 'Christmas day' with December 25th lol)

We do :p

• VPNVPN Member
    edited January 2014

That's good then. I always get worried when mentioning religious based holidays on international forums through fear of offending someone who doesn't celebrate them lol.

I'm not a religious person but any excuse for presents and a ton of food and drink is fine by me.

• If you know the site URL, then why do you need the IP of it?

• VPNVPN Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    If you know the site URL, then why do you need the IP of it?

OP accidentally changed the A record of the domain from the correct IP to another IP. So now he can't remember which IP the site is on lol.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • The only way, is to reverse the domain hosted in an IP. I believe I ever saw it somewhere in the who.is or mxtoolbox. We just need to insert the IP, and it will show the domain hosted on the IP. Or, we can use the Looking Glass, and use the MTR ?

• VPNVPN Member

The problem is that he doesn't know the IP though lol.

• Well, he can try trough all of the ip, one by one.

• VPNVPN Member

I think that's what he plans to do. It's just he has 100's of servers so has to SSH each one or run a script and find the WordPress files. This could take ages though lol.

• That's why documentation is critical. :D

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • I think @zhuanyi should just go through all his VPSes and start cancelling the ones he isn't using (i.e. most of them) :)

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • It's like pack-a-day smoking. A vps-a-day addiction.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • VPNVPN Member

I'm gonna quit, just... one... more...

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • have status script installed,and list all of them with notes of what they are for....use OpenStatus for example.....and this maybe useful for your future reference......

• Why not file a fake content violation complaint against your own site and ask to forward it to the original provider and/or site owner? Maybe it works and you'll get an email from the relevant hoster. ;-)

• @Vienna said:
    Why not file a fake content violation complaint against your own site and ask to forward it to the original provider and/or site owner? Maybe it works and you'll get an email from the relevant hoster. ;-)

Fake or not, I don't think you want this on your "record."

• rds100 said: I think @zhuanyi should just go through all his VPSes and start cancelling the ones he isn't using (i.e. most of them) :)

Sometimes I just feel it is quicker to pay off the invoice (I have automatic subscription), especially for some of the once in a lifetime deals (like the RocketVPS 50% off, which I don't think they are offering even close to that anymore)

• Vienna said: Why not file a fake content violation complaint against your own site and ask to forward it to the original provider and/or site owner? Maybe it works and you'll get an email from the relevant hoster. ;-)

The domain is pointing to a 404 page now and I am the site owner and have no idea where my site is :)

• Can't you retrieve the IP address from the headers of the setup email that wordpress sends when freshly installed ?

• Hmm, did you maybe use a fresh domain on a fresh vps account for this site? If so, you could look up the registration date and at least narrow down the period in time when you signed up for the account - then check your mail archive for signup mails during that period. Even if that delivers a dozen or so accounts to check manually it would be a lot less work than checking all (hundreds?) of them...

In case it's not something you want to keep a secret - why don't you just share the domain or link with us, and maybe someone can play around with a few tools and find something useful?

• said: So now my site is alive and online but I don't know what's the IP

I don't get it.. Your site is alive and online? then it is pointing to the right IP? or what?

• NanoG6 said: I don't get it.. Your site is alive and online? then it is pointing to the right IP? or what?

My site is on one of the VPS that I have somewhere, I don't know exactly which VPS it is and the domain of the site is now pointing to a blank page because I accidentally changed the A record to somewhere else.

edited January 2014

Haven't you searched in your vps? Man. You're lazy!

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • if you had hosted your own DNS you would NOT have this problem...

• @netomx said:
    Haven't you searched in your vps? Man. You're lazy!

I wish I kept a good accounting system on my VPS, just have too many of them :) I am still searching as we speak. :)

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2014

@ zhuanyi

Check out this cool tool for keeping every thing in order, it' free, i used for a few years.

AtoZ Notebook

Stores all of your personal information

AtoZ Notebook is a simple, password protected Data Manager. It has about as much complexity as a pen and paper and can be used to store website logins, names and addresses, and anything that fits the A - Z model. All protected by a single password.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • dnomdnom Member
    edited January 2014

You can list all the IP's of your VPSes and then edit your host file so that your domain will point to an IP on the list. Iterate through the list until you find the IP. that's easier than logging in to all the vps.

• dnom said: You can list all the IP's of your VPSes and then edit your host file so that your domain will point to an IP on the list. Iterate through the list until you find the IP. that's easier than logging in to all the vps.

Or I can just copy and paste the IP into my address bar in Firefox :)

• @zhuanyi said:

Hmm if i were paranoid I would suspect an impending ddos attack in case of you not being the owner of this site :)

But you could check the site's mx record to get the ip , (cloudflare won't be reverse proxying your mail server port) provided you had the httpd and mx servers on the same ip.