Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The rush to exhaustion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The rush to exhaustion

Sourced from VPS board:

Another /14 bites the dust

http://whois.domaintools.com/107.175.255.255

@jbiloh

Do CC really need all these IPs? You're now way ahead of Microsoft in IP acquisition and they have Azure to feed.

Comments

• Honestly if i was in CC's shoes and could do this, i would do it too. IPs will be a very valuable asset soon. It's the best long term investment one can make today, much better than BTC or gold, since the price is guaranteed to go up and up and up in the future.

• Another VPS/cloud operation subsidiary in the making

• rds100 said: Honestly if i was in CC's shoes and could do this, i would do it too. IPs will be a very valuable asset soon. It's the best long term investment one can make today, much better than BTC or gold, since the price is guaranteed to go up and up and up in the future.

It's all about strategic investment. Global IPv6 Implementation cannot be done within 5-10 years as it would be a very large investment.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Yes ARIN just allocated us a /14 yesterday. We have been growing very rapidly the past 3 years, and 2013 has proven to be our best yet. We'll be making some announcements about that soon. Three years ago CC had roughly 25 racks in total, and now we have nearly ten times that -- growth we are very proud of.

I am also aware of the report issued by the professor at Carnegie Mellon, and while it is very flattering to be recognized for our growth amongst those other companies the data the professor used is flawed (at least in our case). His source (http://www.wleecoyote.com/blog/Recent-large-ARIN.htm) lists as having received a /15 on 10/21/2013 which is not accurate. So, as of that date, we would have barely made the top 10 list when that allocation is removed from our aggregate.

• @jbiloh Congratulations for the allocated /14.

@vRozenSch00n said:
    jbiloh Congratulations for the allocated /14.

Thank you!

• How are they doing this? They have that many customers?!

On another note, there's a coaxial home internet company (only coax provider, at least partly state-owned), and they give you (at your home) 128 static IPs for about 20 USD. Is that normal? Coaxial internet has little market share (I assume), and probably nobodys getting any static IPs anyway, but interesting pricing.

I don't think it shows your name on the IP though. (SWIP) Which is probably better.

• Now, if it's IPv6 IPs they give you, then they're slightly shorting you (by millions of IPv6 Addresses, since they should be giving you a /64. If it's IPv4, that is not normal. Is it Cable Internet, or Coax as in 10BASE2, etc.?

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited December 2013

It's IPv4, price per month. I don't know what 10base2 is, it's called cable internet, and it's provided by the infrastructure of the state-owned cable tv provider. I'm not sure about the technology, they haven't changed the main cables going under the streets since 1990s analogue TV cables, so it's based on that infrastructure, I'm not sure if needs any changes inside your building or your flat (as in wiring).

It has something to do with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
    as I see that word a lot in their site.

The modems that are used are like this
    http://castlenet.com.tw/products/cm/spec/CBC382D1-EDM02-R1%2020120810.pdf

Check out the prices here, it's in turkish but comprehendable. 2 TL = little less than 1 USD
    http://www.turksatkablo.com.tr/Statik-IP-Hizmeti-Fiyatlandirma

@kerouac said:
    How are they doing this? They have that many customers?!

On another note, there's a coaxial home internet company (only coax provider, at least partly state-owned), and they give you (at your home) 128 static IPs for about 20 USD. Is that normal? Coaxial internet has little market share (I assume), and probably nobodys getting any static IPs anyway, but interesting pricing.

I don't think it shows your name on the IP though. (SWIP) Which is probably better.

Price for IP addresses for domestic residential internet service in the US is MUCH higher. Like $10/month per IP. If you are getting 128 IPs for $20 per month you are getting an amazing deal.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited December 2013

kerouac said: I don't know what 10base2 is, it's called cable internet

Is it 10 mbit or something different?

EDIT: I derped. Yeah, it's not 10base2. @Magiobiwan I blame you... don't you know 10base2 and 10base5 have a range of under 100 metres?

• @Rallias I just skimmed the Wikipedia article.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

IPCrossing - your source for IP deals in 2015.

edited December 2013

Sorry, ipcrossing.com is already taken.

Very sad.

• jbiloh said: Very sad.

.net isn't.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

ipv4crossing

• ipnode

@Nick_A said:
    ipv4crossing

Would work in a pinch. I'll think about it. Meanwhile I am going to return to my satanic rituals...

• jbiloh said: Would work in a pinch. I'll think about it. Meanwhile I am going to return to my satanic rituals...

Do those satanic rituals include checking your pm's?

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited December 2013

@Rallias said:
    Do those satanic rituals include checking your pm's?

I hear they do a rain dance on a bi-weekly basis, asking their Gods if they should implement IPv6 or not. The Gods have yet to reply. I guess rain dances only work for rain? shrugs

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2013

Relax, ipv6 will be implemented in July - August 2014. Or at least this is my prediction.

• @Rallias said:
    Is it 10 mbit or something different?

"up to" 100mbit

@rds100 said:
    Relax, ipv6 will be implemented in July - August 2014. Or at least this is my prediction.

Odds are we will beat that timeline.

• @jbiloh my prediction was based solely on another prediction that ARIN will stop giving big ipv4 allocations around June :)

@rds100 said:
    jbiloh my prediction was based solely on another prediction that ARIN will stop giving big ipv4 allocations around June :)

I see. Well ipv6 is next in the development queue internally.

I fully expect the /8 holders to give back their space at the point in time where they will maximize the publicity.

• @jbiloh said:
    I fully expect the /8 holders to give back their space at the point in time where they will maximize the publicity.

Congrats on the /14!

• Good futuristic step by CC :)

Congrats... :)

• 123Systems said: Congrats on the /14!

Looking at your avatar I'm just guessing your not a big fan of Aldryic? ;-)

• @123Systems As I might recall, you and Aldryc were friends back then at WHT, weren't you?

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    123Systems As I might recall, you and Aldryc were friends back then at WHT, weren't you?

Not even close.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n