Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net bad experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net bad experience

Hello,
I've already used lowendtalk a lot of times to check reviews about ISP's, but just today felt the need to register and submit a review.
I found online.net a week ago when I was looking for a affordable european dedicated server with ddos protection.

I made a few questions to their support and everything seemed good. I've searched for reviews, like I always do before buy anything online, and I found some issues, but nothing that made me think it was a bad idea.

I bought the server, made the payment and 5 minutes later my server was activated! "Wonderful!", I thought, but then when I tried to manage it, I got an error saying that my account was locked, so I contacted them to know what was going on and they told me my account was linked to a fraudulent account.

I asked them why, maybe it could be because I used my girlfriend's paypal, so I even offered to send the my ID and my girlfriend's ID, but they didn't show any interest in it, and didn't at least try to solve the issue.

They just said they won't unlock account or refund me, and that I could cancel the service at the end of the month.

Lol? What service if I could never use it? I had to open a dispute at paypal, and I'll wait to see if I can get my money back.

I saw hundreds of reviews that say this is a good and legit service, but for my experience I can tell that they're not that professional, and don't care much to help the client.

Here's the log of the support ticket.

Ticket log:

Ticket created on 2013-12-20 17:32:40, actually not read
mati233
If that would be true, you would have asked me to send my ID and of my girlfriend and all this situation would be avoided. I've already opened a dispute at paypal, now I'll let wait for things to be resolved from there, because from here I see that we're not going anywhere.

Ticket created on 2013-12-20 17:08:24, read on 2013-12-20 17:31:06
Online - Vincent
Bonjour, Our reputation is excellent, we control costummers and our network seriously. Cordialement, -- Vincent R.

Ticket created on 2013-12-20 13:20:52, read on 2013-12-20 16:55:44
mati233
I've already opened a dispute, thanks for making me lose my time.

Ticket created on 2013-12-20 12:37:02, read on 2013-12-20 16:55:44
mati233
You must be kidding me. I've made you a question , I would like you to answer me directly. How is my account inked to a fraudulent account? I want my money back if you're not going to open my account, and tahnk god I didn't buy a huge server like I wanted, I see now that you're not a serious ISP. I'll be waiting to hear from you, and I'll let you know everybody that fake that you are.

Ticket created on 2013-12-20 11:52:05, read on 2013-12-20 12:34:52
Online - Vincent
Bonjour, Sorry you are linked with an other fraudulous account. we don't open this account, you cabn terminate services at the end of month. Cordialement, -- Vincent R.

Ticket created on 2013-12-19 22:47:39, read on 2013-12-20 11:30:27
mati233
Already waiting for someone to solve the issue for more than 24hours. This atittude is ridiculous and very unprofessional, let's see how far can you go.

Ticket created on 2013-12-19 19:00:16, read on 2013-12-20 11:30:27
mati233
You want me to send the ID of Teresa Baleizao, de owner of that account? I never had an issue like this with any other ISP, and I've already made a lot of payments from accounts that I don't own with no problem, I don't understand why is this happening with you, but I'm already losing a lot of money because of you. Please tell me if you're going to give me the service that I paid for, or just give me my money back and I'll be happy to move my server to another ISP. Thanks

Ticket created on 2013-12-19 18:53:05, read on 2013-12-20 11:30:27
mati233
My account is linked to a fraudulous account? What do you even mean with that? Please tell me what do I need to do to get my service activated.

Ticket created on 2013-12-19 18:51:46, read on 2013-12-19 18:52:14
Online - Sébastien
Bonjour, Your account is linked to a fraudulous account. Why? Cordialement, -- Sébastien F.

Ticket created on 2013-12-19 16:14:43, read on 2013-12-20 11:30:27
mati233
Hi, Sorry for insisting, I've already tried to contact your hotline, but it seems you don't have any english support there... I'm losing money while you don't activate the service, I can send you my ID or whatever, I think it's not very professional lock account without telling a reason, and then tell the reason without saying what should the client do to unlock the account, neither when will the service that your client already paid be activated. I really appreciate that you solve this issue today. Thanks

Phone call received on 2013-12-19 16:09:23

Ticket created on 2013-12-19 15:47:55, read on 2013-12-20 11:30:27
mati233
Hello, I didn't have funds in my account so I asked my girlfriend to make the payment, I didn't think that could be a problem. Please make an effort to activate my service as soon as possible, I need this urgently. Thanks

Ticket created on 2013-12-19 09:27:20, read on 2013-12-19 15:46:20
Online - Vincent
Bonjour, Your name is different in your Online account than your payment paypal. Why don't you create account with the same name. Cordialement, -- Vincent R.

Ticket created on 2013-12-18 21:14:17, read on 2013-12-19 09:05:00
mati233
Hello, I've already ordered my server, and it was ativated in less than 5 minutes, very impressive, but now I can't access it because I'm getting this error: "Error: You can't access this page while your account is locked. " Please tell me what's going on. Thanks

Comments

• The thing you mix up is, the big mass seller companies won't be interested in your side of the story. And basically, they can't listen to everyone at the price point they sell their services. If you are looking for a personalized service, go with smaller hosts.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yeah that's not great although to be fair most hosts here would suspend your account immediately if you ordered in one name and paid in another because when the dispute comes though (as is usually the case when you get these orders) it costs them time and money.

Think about buying something over the phone and giving your card details, your a guy, they ask you for the name as printed on the card and you give a woman's name, that conversation will end pretty quick.

I think not giving you the oppertunity to fix the problem is very bad but you really should not have opened the dispute though so quick as this proves it was authorised and paypal will not protect you for none physical goods or services.

Thanked by 1wumingshi
  • I have had some issue with Online.net where they answer your ticket but don't answer your reply to their answer.

They can also misunderstand tickets, like I asked if it was possible to swap the 2GB RAM stick for a 4GB RAM stick and they went on to explain it wasn't a VPS.

Although their service is great, one of my personal servers (Via Nano) died earlier today.

The hardware watch thing discovered and issue and gave me the option to recover my data. I didn't as there wasn't anything I needed on it.

An hour later it said the issue is persistent, it has been reported to the DC staff and gave me the option to request a new server. I did, activated instantly.

They have lots of pro and lots of cons but don't everyone.

Thanked by 1wumingshi
  • Sure, I understand that I shouldn't use a card with a different name from mine, the only reason I did it was because I didn't have funds in mine and I was needing this urgently, as I explained to them.
    The really issue here, as AnthonySmith said, is not giving me the opportunity to fix the issue.
    They a had a lot of options here to protect both parties, but if they really don't want to to lose much time/money giving support to this kind of situations, the more wise action, in my opinion, would be to block my account and refund my money.
    They shouldn't forget that most of the customers that order this kind of services have businesses that depend on that, so believe me that I lose my money that them by answering 1 or 2 questions without any effort to solve anything.

Probably if I would have paid with my card I wouldn't have any problem at all, but this can show that their support is not that good and doesn't care much for the customer.

Thanked by 1wumingshi
  • FluXFluX Member
    edited December 2013

Online.net could have handled it better, but they are not an English speaking company, even if they got their website partially translated. So you should have known from reading reviews that if you get into trouble you'd better know French or at least someone that does. I think a little more research and thought could have avoided this situation. Online.net is a decent company for people that don't need support, they provide good hardware for low prices.

Also, why in the world would you get your gf to pay for your server directly. She could have just sent money to your paypal (and then you pay for it with the account registered). And isn't it a requirement for verified paypal accounts to have a bank or cc to be set as a backup source? So in reality you're saying you were broke and wanted to rent a server. Doesn't that seem a little fishy in the first place?

So in the end I think you could have avoided this by making some different choices that is logical if you've ever ordered a server before. No proxies, Names match on payment information are pretty much prerequisites unless you have gone through a sales department before hand.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Zshen
  • Frankly order in one name, paypal in different name - i would have rejected it too.
    Next time make your sister send some money from her to your paypal account, then pay from your own account.

Thanked by 1wumingshi
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@mati233 said:
    Sure, I understand that I shouldn't use a card with a different name from mine, the only reason I did it was because I didn't have funds in mine and I was needing this urgently.

Yes but that is your problem and you are making it theirs. it is not unfair of them to have a policy like this, I don't agree with it but its not illegal perhaps their policy is to notify paypal.

• mati233 said: block my account and refund my money.

From reading the ticket it appears they didn't even approach the subject of a refund. Did you have any further discussion with them on this point? I think refusing your order is fair. Not refunding the payment is not.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2013

I don't know how online.net's payments work, but if they use the authorize & capture system, they probably just obtained an authorization for the payment and didn't capture it, i.e. didn't really take the money. But an online.net customer should comment.

• @mati233, do you have a paypal account?

• i've just concluded a paypal dispute with these JOKERS.

i bought their $10 eur atom box, and after about 1 solid week of instability; (were talkin' my box would require a reboot from the web CP, after ~10 minutes after the last reboot, on a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04) i sent them a PM saying to look into this. every message i exchanged with their "support" was delayed by at least 24 hours. shitty. after about 6 messages, and most of them having nothing to do with my concerns i politely told them i wanted a refund of my money.

they said no, that they don't do this, and i decided, f**k it; its not worth 10 eur to bicker over this, so i logged onto paypal, and canceled my agreement with them (BEFORE the 20th of the month... those of you who've been with online before know why the 20th is important), and also canceled my service with them on their own CP.

fast forward 3 days before my service is about to expire with them; i start getting emails from them claiming that they never received payment from me ! i double checked my paypal account, and sure enough, there was the COMPLETED payment to "Online SAS" which was even verified with PayPal customer service, via a phone conversation !
    after my talk with paypal, i opened a dispute with online.net, because they threatened to "[start] the collection of [my] unpaid bills by a bailiff." in one email i got.

4 more emails later, advice from paypal to ignore their emails, and concrete confirmation that i had paid them, and i was still getting notifications. unreal !!

in the end, paypal gave them 10 days to respond to my dispute, and we didn't hear a thing from them.
    i won my case by default, and reclaimed my funds.

ill NEVER do business with them again, and i hope you will consider this too.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @darkshire said:
    i've just concluded a paypal dispute with these JOKERS.

i bought their $10 eur atom box, and after about 1 solid week of instability; (were talkin' my box would require a reboot from the web CP, after ~10 minutes after the last reboot, on a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04) i sent them a PM saying to look into this. every message i exchanged with their "support" was delayed by at least 24 hours. shitty. after about 6 messages, and most of them having nothing to do with my concerns i politely told them i wanted a refund of my money.

they said no, that they don't do this, and i decided, f**k it; its not worth 10 eur to bicker over this, so i logged onto paypal, and canceled my agreement with them (BEFORE the 20th of the month... those of you who've been with online before know why the 20th is important), and also canceled my service with them on their own CP.

fast forward 3 days before my service is about to expire with them; i start getting emails from them claiming that they never received payment from me ! i double checked my paypal account, and sure enough, there was the COMPLETED payment to "Online SAS" which was even verified with PayPal customer service, via a phone conversation !
    after my talk with paypal, i opened a dispute with online.net, because they threatened to "[start] the collection of [my] unpaid bills by a bailiff." in one email i got.

4 more emails later, advice from paypal to ignore their emails, and concrete confirmation that i had paid them, and i was still getting notifications. unreal !!

in the end, paypal gave them 10 days to respond to my dispute, and we didn't hear a thing from them.
    i won my case by default, and reclaimed my funds.

ill NEVER do business with them again, and i hope you will consider this too.

I'm glad you got your money back
    i've seen alot similair posts about online.net

they all included bad/ignorant support,
    the fact that they are cheap doesnt mean that basic (critical) support should be missing.

• I already tried a lot of different providers, and most of times I used my gf paypal because she has credit card and I don't, and at that moment, I didn't have any funds at my paypal account.
    Yes, I was lazy enough to don't waste time transferring funds to my account and paying with that, but just because I never had a similar issue like this before...
    There were some providers that asked for an ID, and things were solved there, but nothing like this.
    Anyway, I see that I'm not the only person with problems with their support, and even if I didn't do everything as I should, their support sucks, and that's what I'm reviewing here.
    I would like to give a review about the quality of their services, but I was never able to test it, so there you go.
    I hope this can be useful for someone thinking about moving servers there.

Thanks

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @mati233 said:
    I already tried a lot of different providers, and most of times I used my gf paypal because she has credit card and I don't, and at that moment, I didn't have any funds at my paypal account.
    Yes, I was lazy enough to don't waste time transferring funds to my account and paying with that, but just because I never had a similar issue like this before...
    There were some providers that asked for an ID, and things were solved there, but nothing like this.
    Anyway, I see that I'm not the only person with problems with their support, and even if I didn't do everything as I should, their support sucks, and that's what I'm reviewing here.
    I would like to give a review about the quality of their services, but I was never able to test it, so there you go.
    I hope this can be useful for someone thinking about moving servers there.

Thanks

I think its really appreciated that you warn other potential victims to stay away from online.net
    that "its too good to be true" statement still proofs to be right.

• I just got notified that someone closed the ticket, here's the last answer:

Bonjour, I see. Cordialement, -- Vincent R.

It really seems a joke, but it's not lol...

• Yeah. Once I cancelled Online.NET, they sent me French mails about collects.

They have a really bad and disturbing network I must say. I only stayed with them for a month.

• I'm facing the same issues with them now. I've paid with cc, my cc got cancelled so I asked them to terminate my services. But instead of that i'm getting this very disturbing emails. I paid them full price on 15th and got my second invoice 15 days after, full price again, i paid that too and after few months of using their services with no late invoice now they are making problems about service that i asked them to cancel before i got the invoice, but it happened to be after 20..
    There is nothing about debt colection in their tos, only states that my services will be terminated. I don't know what to do. Should I be worried ?

• @DS2015 said:
    I'm facing the same issues with them now. I've paid with cc, my cc got cancelled so I asked them to terminate my services. But instead of that i'm getting this very disturbing emails. I paid them full price on 15th and got my second invoice 15 days after, full price again, i paid that too and after few months of using their services with no late invoice now they are making problems about service that i asked them to cancel before i got the invoice, but it happened to be after 20..
    There is nothing about debt colection in their tos, only states that my services will be terminated. I don't know what to do. Should I be worried ?

Necro much, why not open your own thread?

You agreed to the terms saying you have to cancel before the 20th of the month to not be invoiced next month.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I do not know about that, heard many horror stories before, but, at least they accepted me as a customer unlike OVH. I will not make any trouble for 2 Eur anyway.
    As for the network, I find it stable and fast. But I live in Europe, so YMMV.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If you go in a shop with a credit/debit card that does not belong to you, the shop owner has the right to refuse service. The same applies here besides the hosting industry is a cesspool for stolen credit card testing / carding.

• @raza19 said:
    If you go in a shop with a credit/debit card that does not belong to you, the shop owner has the right to refuse service. The same applies here besides the hosting industry is a cesspool for stolen credit card testing / carding.

Nothing problem when using my wife CC.

• kimsufi and online.net support are nothing short of disgraceful. Nobody expects 5 star service at that end of the market, but both companies are rude, ignore tickets, and both have flat out lied to me.

edited February 2015

squibs said: both have flat out lied to me.

Only OVH did this to me so far, but did not need anything from iliad support yet.

• LeeLee Veteran

squibs said: kimsufi and online.net support are nothing short of disgraceful.

Kimsufi yes, but Online have been nothing but prompt and helpful with support whenever I raise a ticket.

• AnthonySmith said: Think about buying something over the phone and giving your card details, your a guy, they ask you for the name as printed on the card and you give a woman's name, that conversation will end pretty quick.

Someone has sent my credit card number via email to rebook a flight (emergency obviously). No one even asked...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • small companies care more , for an example OVH dont care at all about clients and so one other big companies like online.net !

• squibs said: ignore tickets

Kimsufi did it so many times that I decided to reinstall everything, keep it minimal and jumo ship the moment I find a cheaper or slightly better service at the same price. I mean they simply tell you that the support will be provided only in forums and that forum is public - no, not public only to other Kimsufi users - it's public as in universally public and there you are supposed to post your info and shit and then at the end - you don't get a bloody response! Nada, not even on forums!

But then seeing their prices are so slow, no other small or big company seem to be offering services in a price range even close to theirs (e.g. KS-1 and KS-2), for some reason I don't feel like blaming them. But they can simply say "there will be no support, not even in forums" - it will save some anger and rage, at least.

Anyway, it's absolutely impractical to use OVH/KS for anything of value or of crucial importance in real life. At least KS is not worth being used for anything other than a media archive box or a damn seedbox and they probably know this. (Maybe you had good experience with KS while running your crucial services but I didn't and people I know didn't either)

Geekion said: small companies care more

That's right but the prices are so high (compared to KS/One/OVH) that for hobbyist set-ups (like seedbox or a film archive) these costlier small companies do not make sense.

Devil said: their prices are so slow

wat?