Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted Email - Is it something you would buy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted Email - Is it something you would buy?

rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
edited December 2013 in General

Hi,

As you may already know I have been looking into Email Hosting CP's because I am thinking of providing a Hosted Email service.

Would it be something your interested in?
  1. Would you buy it?15 votes
    1. Yes
      46.67%
    2. No
      53.33%
  2. How much space would you want?15 votes
    1. 1GB
      26.67%
    2. 2GB
        0.00%
    3. 5GB
      13.33%
    4. 10GB
      20.00%
    5. More?
      40.00%

Comments

• I think the answer is more complicated than 'Yes' or 'No'. I would consider buying hosted email, but given the sensitive nature, it would have be a provider that I trusted 100%. That person wouldn't be you, simply because I'm unaware of who you are and your track record in providing services.

Thanked by 2Wintereise Mark_R
  • I pay for hosted email myself right now, around 6 euros a year
    my reasons for this:

1. No ads
    2. MX Records (linking domain)
    3. Email backup, never lose anything when the server has issues
    4. Unlike free email hosting there are no blacklist enabled by default
      services like gmail reject emails sent from IP's that have been reported in the past
      this is not always a good thing because sometimes ip's are shared etc this would mean that legit email gets rejected too.
      i've also noticed that services like gmail not always notify you about them rejecting a email for you.

It is also important that the email host his own network isn't blacklisted anywhere
    if this is the case then the email provider should get it removed from the blacklist again

if any of what i wrote is not being offered/missing then it wouldn't be worth paying for.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Maybe it is time for a mayor (i.e. @Prometeus) provider to offer this?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • netomx said: Maybe it is time for a mayor (i.e. @Prometeus) provider to offer this?

Still no. Email is 'special.'

• @Nekki said:
    I think the answer is more complicated than 'Yes' or 'No'. I would consider buying hosted email, but given the sensitive nature, it would have be a provider that I trusted 100%. That person wouldn't be you, simply because I'm unaware of who you are and your track record in providing services.

thats one of the points i forgot to add in my previous post
    privacy/trust is important too, i would only use services from a known provider
    i rather not have someone read my mails.

• Wintereise said: Still no. Email is 'special.'

Agreed. IMO, we're talking epic levels of trust, integrity and security.

• Host your own, but not anyone elses. I host mine off my atom server, works perfectly.

• Also, one thing people are interested in is security and particularly privacy. For privacy it can be of benefit to encrypt, like described in this post:
    Automatically Encrypting all Incoming Email.

• closing as OP requested

This discussion has been closed.