Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improve IPv6 notation in SolusVM (for providers)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Improve IPv6 notation in SolusVM (for providers)

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Hi all providers, I have sent a ticket to SolusVM to request a IPv6 improvements,
I copy here:

Hi, I want request a improvement in the IPv6 notation to be more comprensive

Example in my case:

• This is my full IPv6 pool: 2a03:c7c0::/32

Start Range: 2a03:c7c0:0:0:0:0:0:0

End Range: 2a03:c7c0:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff

• I have assigned this IPv6 to the HN1: 2a03:c7c0:1::/48

Start Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:0:0:0:0:0

End Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff

so,

HN2: 2a03:c7c0:2::/48

HN3: 2a03:c7c0:3::/48

etc...

Now is my request for notation:

2a03:c7c0:1:[userID]:[VMID]:0:0:0

So, if my UserID in SolusVM is: 100

and my VMID is: 200

Provide me this range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:200::/80

Start Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:200:0:0:0

End Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:200:ffff:ffff:ffff

And on the Customer panel, provide the option to add his own IPv6 limited by the range...

For example, if the customer wants provide a /112 for each of his customers, he can do something like this:

SubCustomer1: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:200:1::/112

SubCustomer2: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:200:2::/112

SubCustomer3: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:200:3::/112

With this notation, as admin, I can see quickly the information about each IPv6.

Thanks!

What do you think about this?

You think on other notation type?

Nice to hear about other providers.

Regards!

Comments

• Ideally it should be every customer (VPS) resides in a different /64. It's not impossible to implement, but i doubt they will do it.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

In my proposal, we provide a /80 for each server...
    Will be interested if the customer can create his own subnets...

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2013

A /80 is less than a /64...

IF they improve it then please to RFC, so /64s, not some hacked around inbetween.

Not that hard, feed it a /48, have it give each customer a /64 (in each location on firsat order), assign X IPs (possibly even in /56s per VPS as recommended) from this to the VPS he orders there now/in future.

For OpenVZ this is easy to do with a /48 subnet (central gate) but ARP will get pretty large at one point, same for Xen/KVM without own VLANs.

Thanked by 1Wintereise
    edited December 2013

For a /64 per user, a interesting notation can be like:

2a03:c7c0:[HN]:[userID]:0:0:0:0

If the HardwareNode is: 1

If the UserID is: 100

Provide me this range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100::/64

Start Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:0:0:0:0

End Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff

Will be interesting if SolusVM permit to define that variables like {HN}, {UserID} or {VMID} for each Hexa digit... What do you think about this?

William said: For OpenVZ this is easy to do with a /48 subnet (central gate) but ARP will get pretty large at one point, same for Xen/KVM without own VLANs.

Solution? IPs assigned to the customer, but not routed to the VPS.
    So when the customer need a IPv6, he it activate on the VPS directly a unique /112

• vzlist and similar operations break somewhere after ~200 Ips or so (at least that's what it was 4 ish months ago, maybe they fixed it finally?) so having the ability to assign a client a /64 and them assign from there would be cool, but I REALLY doubt Solus is going to put effort into that.

Solus hasn't really done much of anything in quite a while. I'd prefer if they fix the java console first.

• hm, i have a VZ with 600 IPv4, not an issue at all

• @William said:
    hm, i have a VZ with 600 IPv4, not an issue at all

Do you have access to the host node itself? Issue we noticed a few months ago is the "vzlist" command would break, it would seg fault after I think it was like 220 Ips or so. This was quite a while ago though and I haven't had time to check it again.

• GOOD POINT. And i found ipv6 is so helpful recently

• @SkylarM yes and i use vz* all the time

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

And why do you need gazillions IPv6? I never understood that part

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited December 2013

@netomx said:

You don't need to use them: They're there just like ports. You also have thousands of ports. That doesn't mean that you need to use them. The concept of IPv6 differs from the concept of IPv4. Within the IPv6-world you just have devices and subnets and you look from the bottom to the top network-wise. It is a completely different approach than IPv4. Plus the RFC says so.

Thanked by 1Mark_R

@netomx said:

someday, each lamp of your house will use 1 IPv6...
    You need many many many IPv6 to manage all components of your house...
    :)

• There are already IP-enabled lamps, actually -- and they can talk over IPv6.

I have reported this post on the SolusVM ticket, maybe they will take a look.

Hi,

We already have this in the works. How we will do it is this:

You add a block of IPv6 to SolusVM (i.e a /48). You then specify what nodes you can use that block on. When adding IPv6 to a virtual server you have the option to specify a block size and what block you want it from. So you can select maybe a /122 (64 ip's) from the /48 block. SolusVM will then work out the range of IP's and reserve them for that virtual server. 

The variable idea is a good idea in fact and we may beable to add that in as an option.

All our plans will become public knowledge straight after Christmas where we plan to maintain a decent roadmap! You should see major progress as we have a nice new office with 4 full time developers local to myself.

Feel free to post any information back from this ticket on the forum.

--
    Kind Regards,
    Phill Bandelow - SolusLabs Support

• @jmginer said:
    For a /64 per user, a interesting notation can be like:

2a03:c7c0:[HN]:[userID]:0:0:0:0

If the HardwareNode is: 1

If the UserID is: 100

Provide me this range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100::/64

Start Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:0:0:0:0

End Range: 2a03:c7c0:1:100:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff

Will be interesting if SolusVM permit to define that variables like {HN}, {UserID} or {VMID} for each Hexa digit... What do you think about this?

This does assume that you have a single location. You will need to plan for when you want more locations because you cannot use the same /32 in two datacenters.

Also, IPv6 is hex, which means if you use dec numbering for the HN and userid, you will waste all networks with a-f in them.

DamienSB said: This does assume that you have a single location. You will need to plan for when you want more locations because you cannot use the same /32 in two datacenters

This is another reason to use variables. In our case we have a /29 allocated...

DamienSB said: Also, IPv6 is hex, which means if you use dec numbering for the HN and userid, you will waste all networks with a-f in them.

yeah! Maybe is possible to convert the userID from dec to hex.