Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloneZilla bare metal backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloneZilla bare metal backup?

Hello LETians,

I'm looking for bare metal backup solution (for BSD & Linux server) that use <1GB of memory? I'm keen on CloneZilla.

I've tested it on my dev server using binary file of 1TB, its quite efficient & fast, but I don't think that speaks of its real life performances.

Is there anyone here use CloneZilla on production server? and can you share the CloneZilla running load, including the basic system specs(memory/size) of the server you're trying to backup.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hello !

When we started offering licensed windows, used clonezilla to manually deploy (before iwstack). It is fast and reliable, never let me down.

What you need is to setup a storage server where you put the image accessible to clonezilla (can be even CIFS), then you save the image there. You can even resize on-the-fly some partitions.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would say CloneZilla is not a great idea for a production server that needs to stay up due to:

Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet.

Online imaging/cloning is not implemented yet. The partition to be imaged or cloned has to be unmounted.

If those do not affect you then perhaps it is OK.

Will be interested to see how this topic develops though, always an interesting subject :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

In local network (between prometeus servers, it goes at about 3gbps (compressed data, so, actually is higher than the 1 gbps port which I believe it is the bottleneck).
    Over the internet the speed will vary, I was imaging/restoring NTFS disk images half empty 60 GB or below. I imagine it will last many hours for bigger disks with more data.
    You can use some CDP scheme such as former R1Soft (Idera) if you need to have always the latest data (with some small caveats), but that is a completely different beast.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Oveseen them at my school, good tool

• @Maounique said:

My company currently using Idera Backup, but for commercial server.
    I'm looking for free alternative for my personal server.

My primary backup is rsnapshot so I think that cover the incremental. BM backup just done occasionally(once a year?). So restore process would be

1. Restore using CloneZilla(with older data)

2. Restore rsnapshot backup data on top of it

Or at least this is how I plan to do it

• Clonezilla is good for mass image deployment usually on same type hardware. You have to have the same size hard drive or bigger in order to restore the image. I used it as a pxe server for a project. I don't think it's more RAM related than it is ethernet port speed. Usually new computers and servers come with a GBit port card and I use a GBit port switch.

Other backups that I think are worthy of bare metal recovery are; ARCServe D2D. It does incremental backups and you would normally back up in to a NAS box or some sort of storage device. And when the time arrives, you would boot up to the bare metal CD or ISO on whatever machine you want to restore the backups, find the backup you want, and restore it. It can also do file restoration and exchange mailbox restoration.

Acronis is also a good one. I've used it a lot of times on workstations. Not so much on servers but it works the same way.

I think ARCServe and Acronis have Linux support, not really sure.

• @nieniel said:
    I don't think it's more RAM related than it is ethernet port speed. Usually new computers and servers come with a GBit port card and I use a GBit port switch.

Understood. Actually I'm using ext HDD, It just that this particular system is an ancient server with low resource and snail-like speed