Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking to buy a vps for selling shared hosting. Can 1024mb tollerate that?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking to buy a vps for selling shared hosting. Can 1024mb tollerate that?

Hello,

I want to buy a vps from knownhost for selling shared hosting for my customer. My package starts from 1GB to 10GB. In max there will be 400 users. I am confused can 1024 ram tollerate it?

VPS Hosting Feature:
1024MB Guranteed RAM
2x priority 8+ CPU cores
500GB Raid-10 Disk Space
2500 GB premium bandwidth

I need the advice of true experience person. Can I handle my customers for shared hosting with this?

Comments

• If you are serious on selling shared hosting, buy a dedi to start. With VPS, you have a lot more hassle to deal with, eg. CPU usage problems.

• LeeLee Veteran

If you are looking at 400 users as in actual packages sold then it's a bit light. If you use cPanel for example it you can take 512mb off right away for that and that leaves you with not much for your customers to fight over.

As Sundaymouse says, a dedicated would be better but I assume you want a managed service if you are looking at Knownhost?

a VPS will work fine to begin with though, unless you actually have 400 clients ready and waiting.

• Yes 400 static sites could run, no way that even 20 semi active Wordpress or other php/mem/CPU heavy sites would run well together. I would say budget about 100mb or ram per client and that might be low.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    If you are looking at 400 users as in actual packages sold then it's a bit light. If you use cPanel for example it you can take 512mb off right away for that and that leaves you with not much for your customers to fight over.

As Sundaymouse says, a dedicated would be better but I assume you want a managed service if you are looking at Knownhost?

a VPS will work fine to begin with though, unless you actually have 400 clients ready and waiting.

Yes, its true. 400 clients are not ready instantly.

• tuguhosttuguhost Member
    edited December 2013

wew i even doubt 1 gb vps can afford 50 client :D
    i would recommend you use reseller account than a vps, vps provider usually more strict if one of your client abuse your server like host ilegal think like phising website,malware or do bulk email

• I cant fit my mind above 20-25 (that also in extreme case) with a mix blend of Dynamic and static site.

Don't do it unless you are a free host or are ready to provide Refund to every next customer.

If it's Apache I do not think with extreme optimization as well can sustain so much!

If there is even 1 client using WP (not very high amount of content) with visitors in 1000+/ day with basic optimization it will start absorbing atleast 10% of your available resources (1024-512=512MB; 512/10= 51.2MB).

• That will be just horrible! I mean even thinking about hosting ~400 clients in a 1024 box and sell shared hosting to them. I just can't imagine the nightmare those clients are going to have!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Here's my recommendation.

KVM (isolation)

2-4 CPU cores (stress performance optimization, force it with reverse proxy cache)

2GB RAM (as Lee said, subtract 512mb to see what's realistically available)

80-100GB Storage

1+ TB @ 1Gbps

Run backups to an external storage vps from backupsy. Don't sell unlimited packages unless/until you can afford to absorb the cost of people who take advantage of it. Be generous in space offered, oversell it by about 200% to start, run regular malware scans, profit.

• @ironhide said:

And yet this is how many "Shared Hosting" companies operate, even the big ones (look at GoDaddy for example, and they run an exploitable PHP version to boot.)

edited December 2013

@HardCloud said:
    And yet this is how many "Shared Hosting" companies operate, even the big ones (look at GoDaddy for example, and they run an exploitable PHP version to boot.)

Upgrading default php isn't always as easy to do if you actually have clients. You can take other measures to secure a server besides always running the latest packages and risking incompatibility with certain ioncube encoded scripts. What is technically "best" is not always feasible. It's easy to knock it from the outside, but the view from the inside might not be as simple as it seems.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • @jarland said:

Oh of course, but they could at least back-port security updates into their current PHP version; if they really had to stick with the oldest possible PHP environment. Most of their servers don't even offer the option to upgrade to a newer PHP (ie: sideload.)

I remember when I was migrating a client's site just the other day, their server's control panel with GoDaddy had the option of PHP4, or PHP5.2.17 only.

edited December 2013

@HardCloud said:
    I remember when I was migrating a client's site just the other day, their server's control panel with GoDaddy had the option of PHP4, or PHP5.2.17 only.

Tried their new cpanel? It's great, for now. Support still blows though. Took me 48 hours and several ticket replies to somewhat convince them that I had (read: done, complete, proven fact) installed a wildcard cert on a shared IP. They kept telling me it wasn't possible. They still didn't really believe me because, you know, checking the virtual host is hard.

• will you get 400 users right away? or build slowly?

• Get a reseller hosting from a reliable company is most reasonable. They will have no limits and you can get more resources (they own deidcated).

Not only and you would save money for those cPanel licences too.

• @jcaleb said:
    will you get 400 users right away? or build slowly?

He said will built slowly, to start off with few clients it's not a bad idea!

• MikeIn said: He said will built slowly, to start off with few clients it's not a bad idea!

maybe he can start with 1gb ram and just upgrade his plan to adjust? not sure, I have no experience with hosting

• @jcaleb I think if he usages OpenVZ plans, Resource up gradation can happen without any downtime or problem!

• @MikeIn I see, because disk can easily expand or shrink?

• I think RAM, DISK, etc can be changed easily. /Let's wait for some provider to know more about it :)

@MikeIn said:
    I think RAM, DISK, etc can be changed easily. /Let's wait for some provider to know more about it :)

Yes OpenVZ adjustments should require not even as much as a reboot of the container, so long as the end user's software does not require it.

• @MikeIn said:

In KVM at least, the VPS container has to be restarted to take on the new RAM / DISK / etc changes. There is a "live migration" and calibration support in VIRSH, but it is not supported by SolusVM (one of the most commonly used panel for KVM VPS.)

After resizing the container disk, you have to resize it in the guest OS too.

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • HardCloud said: There is a "live migration" and calibration support in VIRSH

I was not knowing this before, thanks :)

@jarland best of luck for your project (MXroute)

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited December 2013

PcJamesy said: Yes 400 static sites could run, no way that even 20 semi active Wordpress or other php/mem/CPU heavy sites would run well together. I would say budget about 100mb or ram per client and that might be low.

You can easily run 20 semi-active wp installs.
    How do I know this? I had a fairly popular wp installation receiving 500k~ hits a day tops, along with a static site receiving much more (can't get accurate here, awstats was failing me)

I was running on a single E3-1240 core with 256mb ram. No ssd.
    AFAIK there's reports of people running hundreds on clients on single kimsufi atoms.

Haven't any of you learned anything?
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

From my experience, most projects on shared hosting are dead and receive a teeny amount of traffic.

Now, if needed, you can easily set up a new instance and dedicated to mysql if needed.

• I started off with a cpanel reseller plan. Had about 30 users. The reseller was turning out to be expensive and less flexible.

So moved to a managed VPS with 1GB RAM with Cpanel. Was fine with around 150 users (some were static, most were wordpress). But it depends on the traffic they get. Then the provider suspended me twice because some php script hung and was continuously using a lot of CPU while I was sleeping. Users were pissed.

I didn't want that to happen again, so rented a dedicated server, installed OpenVZ, created a 4GB container, installed cpanel there, and moved all my users there. Now have around 350 users with memory usage hovering around 2GB.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • I've never heard of people selling shared hosting on a VPS server, but I can imagine 1 gb of RAM should be enough (considering this doesn't sound like serious thing or anything)

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • Wow. This thread is all over the place :)

First we need to define "shared hosting". It can mean providing a cPanel accounts to anonymous people on the internet, or it could be hosting a set of managed, controlled clients. Big difference.

If the service is open for internet signup, then one client could bring it to it's knees with a poorly configured, badly-managed wordpress or other CMS website.

On the other hand, 1GB RAM on a well-performing VPS could easily manage 20 wordpress sites with optimal configuration and good management.

400 sites? Static only I think :)

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • zimbozimbo Member
    edited December 2013

You can start with a reseller account and if you have enough customers, upgrade to a managed dedicated server. Vps with limited resources for a serious, reliable shared hosting? Think it over again.