Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostUS Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostUS Review

IshaqIshaq Member
edited December 2013 in Reviews

Hey guys,

Today I'm doing another one of my mini reviews.

Note: All reviews I make are unbiased and are based on my experience.

Today I'm going to review:

HostUS Solutions Limited (http://www.hostus.us)

@AlexanderM asked me to do a honest review about their KVM range, I am testing their KVM1 plan which I received just short of 3 months ago.

As always I plan on reviewing by firstly giving a score out of 5 and then a brief review. We're going to look at the following:

Price (how fair the pricing is)

Reliability (of the company)

Support (reply times and helpfulness)

Stability (of the network)

Uptime (of the hardware)

Performance (of the VPS)

Let's get started:

Price: ★★★★/5

I'm currently not paying for this service because I was given it for the review, but I give it 4 stars because it is fairly priced and is sustainable for the host ($6.95 for 512MB and 20GB disk).

Reliability: ★★★★/5

The company is a registered LTD in the United Kingdom and has been in business for just over 1 year. No problems here.

Support: ★★★★★/5

I haven't opened any support tickets, because well I didn't need to. But I did want an ISO added so I PM'd Alexander and he was kind enough to add it very quickly. I'm rating it 5 stars because it was quick and professional.

Stability: ★★★★/5

The network is stable, I did notice a few blips like every host but nothing major at all. I'm able to pull at 400Mbps+ pretty much all the time. Latency is around <120ms for me (I'm UK based and the server is in Atlanta, which is normal.)

Uptime: ★★★★★/5

The server has been up for 87 days which means 100% hardware uptime. No reboots by me or HostUS.

Performance: ★★★★★/5

Access to 2 shared cores on an L5520 processor. The disk's I/O is 150MB/s so no problems there.

That's it for today folks, if a provider would like to be honestly reviewed please send a PM my way and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM

Comments

• edited December 2013

Price: /5

I'm currently ...... 4 stars ......

5 or 4?

• He ASKED you to do a review? Hmm...

• so they asked you to give honest review?

• Bless you @AlexanderM!

May the Lord bring more good tidings re: your KVM range! :)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks @Ishaq for the review.

@GreenValueHost @tuguhost Like a few other hosts, i gave Ishaq a free vps for an honest review, never did i ask for a positive or good review, i made a point of saying "honest". Bear in mind this was 3 months ago, when HostUS Just started VPS'es.

@HostNun Thank you - same for your business.

• @Andy

4 out of 5. /5 is the max and the stars is the rating given.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    He ASKED you to do a review? Hmm...

lol!

• toshosttoshost Member, Host Rep

Is it a review !!

• LeeLee Veteran

It's not a review, it's a sponsored advertisement.

• It is not an advertisement, I was not paid anything.

I was asked to do a honest review for their KVM.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    It's not a review, it's a sponsored advertisement.

Yeah, that's right. It's definitely advertisement.

@Ishaq do you still work at @BlueVM ?

• Maybe, why is this relevant?

• I don't really see how letting someone use a VPS for a period of time would be considered biased, large companies and organizations do it all the time. Most of the reviews you see on youtube for products (good and bad) are products sent to popular youtubers by said companies.

I'm sure if HostUS was a not-so-good service, the review would reflect that.

Its gotten to the point to where a good review is almost instantly suspect to under the table payments and things like that.

Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • @WebSearchingPro said:
    I don't really see how letting someone use a VPS for a period of time would be considered biased, large companies and organizations do it all the time. Most of the reviews you see on youtube for products (good and bad) are products sent to popular youtubers by said companies.

It's common practice in the literary world too, http://www.thefreedictionary.com/review+copy etc.

• @Ishaq said:
    Maybe, why is this relevant?

It's relevant. Next time @AlexanderM will make the same review of @BlueVM.

• I don't think so?

No favor was asked and no money was exchanged.

Make sure you're certain before you talk.

• As a customer, I dont trust a provider's review of another provider. Reviews should be authentic, by genuine customers who have been using the service for more than a couple of months, and have gone through ordering process, had interaction with support, tested the service for their own interest, and have no vested interest or motivation in reviewing. Free VPSes dont count.

A provider asks another provider to write a review for him, and provides a free VPS for his use. There's absolutely no guarantee or expectation that it will be an unbiased or genuine review.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @joelgm

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not a provider. And neither do I represent a provider on this forum.

And I did go through the order process just like any other customer.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited December 2013

@Ishaq said:
    joelgm

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not a provider. And neither do I represent a provider on this forum.

And I did go through the order process just like any other customer.

Whether you own BlueVM, or are associated with it, boils down to the same thing. You're associated with a provider, and provide tech support and customer service for them. That's my personal view. I don't have any animosity towards BlueVM, and have an active service with them.

Even though I respect Maonique's opinions, I wouldn't trust his review either.

• @Ishaq said:
    I don't think so?

I think so. Why did you PM'ed me this ?

@Ishaq said:
    Were you paid to do the InceptionHosting review?

Oh you were?

Ok shall I bump that thread and ask if it's an advertisement?

I can be like this if you want.

My Inception Hosting review of @AnthonySmith was real. @BlueVM take a look at your customer support staff.

• I PM'd you that to challenge you like you challenged me.

I don't believe it's a fake review, however the whole point was to show you what it's like to be told something could be fake when it is a honest review.

@alexvolk said:
    BlueVM take a look at your customer support staff.

As I said above, I don't represent a provider on this forum.

• @joelgm said:
    Even though I respect Maonique's opinions, I wouldn't trust his review either.

I don't believe he made a review about us?

Either way, as I said anything I do or say on this forum does not represent companies I work for.

Keep that in mind.

• It is quite funny how everyone likes to challenge a certain thread. Look at my thread history.. I have made 2 or 3 other reviews.

• I mean if you read the review, there is not really much there that would insinuate a fake review, mentioning blips of packet loss here and there and a potentially low DD test by some standards.

I've worked with Ishaq in the past and he's a pretty good guy and I don't think he would have those kind of intentions. In-fact even if he does work at BlueVM, that should make him more inclined to find things wrong.

Often in other industries trials/samples are given out, YouTube reviews are built upon this idea, as well as Amazon's Vine program and perhaps even free samples at the market. Engineering samples for sites such as tomshardware are another example of this. It's a totally common practice outside of VPS.

Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • @Ishaq said:
    I have made 2 or 3 other reviews.

I see that you don't get it yet. You, my friend, are not the average customer on LET. You're technically inclined, and handle support requests for a prominent provider here. The average customer expects a lot more in a review.

Let's look into your review...

Price: ★★★★/5
    I'm currently not paying for this service because I was given it for the review, but I give it 4 stars because it is fairly priced and is sustainable for the host

See what you've done there? You've taken the host's side, and written how it's good value for the host, rather than the customer..

Reliability: ★★★★/5
    The company is a registered LTD in the United Kingdom and has been in business for just over 1 year.

What exactly points towards reliability here? That they've been in business for just a year? In the www, that's a crawling baby. How hard is it to register a company? Nothing points towards reliability.

Support: ★★★★★/5
    I haven't opened any support tickets, because well I didn't need to. But I did want an ISO added so I PM'd Alexander and he was kind enough to add it very quickly.

Once again, you've shown how different you are from the average customer. You wouldnt face any of the usual issues because you have no need of this VPS, and wouldnt run anything of real life importance. Just because you asked for an ISO to be loaded, and they did a wget of it, you've given them 5 stars.

Uptime: ★★★★★/5
    The server has been up for 87 days which means 100% hardware uptime. No reboots by me or HostUS.

There are other factors on which uptime depends. Were you monitoring the network, services and ports 24x7?

I'm sorry to put it across bluntly. But, even if the review werent biased due to the author, it's a very shoddy review. You didnt even post a network test result or a benchmark.

Thanked by 2alexvolk Lee
  • @joelgm

That was my honest mini review. I'm not going to argue with you.

End of.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

what the hell, how did I get brought in to this?

• @joelgm said:
    As a customer, I dont trust a provider's review of another provider. Reviews should be authentic, by genuine customers who have been using the service for more than a couple of months, and have gone through ordering process, had interaction with support, tested the service for their own interest, and have no vested interest or motivation in reviewing. Free VPSes dont count.

I think this is more or less true. I have given out a couple free accounts to LET members as gestures of 'good faith', but I did so with the explicit proviso that it was not necessary for the recipients to review them. I prefer word of mouth anyway.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    what the hell, how did I get brought in to this?

@Ishaq said that my review of your service was fake.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Thanks @Ishaq appreciated.......