Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter Contest for your DREAM PROJECT!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kickstarter Contest for your DREAM PROJECT!

serverianserverian Member
edited November 2013 in General

No, it's not only for becoming a VPS provider. It's not just for low end priced services. It's for your dream project!

To thank to the community, I'd like to start a kickstarter contest to help you get a kick start for your projects.

I'll be providing the following dedicated server free for a year to the winner/winners (That's right, there might be multiple winners) and for $100/month after the free period is over.

E3 1240v3 CPU
32GB Memory
6 x 240GB Intel 520 SSDs
LSI 9271-8i Raid Card /w Cachevault
10TB Traffic
2 x 1Gbps Uplink
/25 IPv4

You have to provide a paid service with the provided server. This can be anything. You can either become a hosting provider or build the next Google. It's limited to your creativity and skills.

The contest applications will end at 1st December 2013 and winner or winners will be announced the same day!

You have exactly one month to prepare after you win the contest. So you can launch at first day of 2014!

What are you waiting for? Apply here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JHRW9KC

The winner or winners will be chosen by me and a few experienced friends of mine.

I'll be available to consult you anytime after you win.

Comments

• This is nice. :D

• Very nice indeed.

• respect++;

• fantastic!

• Great idea indeed. My hat off to you :)

• Not in, but thanks!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And make sure you push the winner(s) hard so they actually get to it !

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I personally won't enter this but this is a very great way of giving back! Just a quick question: Where would the server be located?

• @matthewvz said:
    I personally won't enter this but this is a very great way of giving back! Just a quick question: Where would the server be located?

I think continuum datacenter in chicago :)

• @TheRedFox said:
    I think continuum datacenter in chicago :)

They are located in Buffalo via CC.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

This is very awesome of you to offer. I entered with the PHP project I am working on to help people learn to code :)

• @agoldenberg said:
    This is very awesome of you to offer. I entered with the PHP project I am working on to help people learn to code :)

A PHP demo that can run on $1/mo webhosting doesn't need a dedi...

@serverian - is that dedi for sale at $100/mo if you don't enter competition?

• LeeLee Veteran

Nice idea, but looks like another failed project to be honest, 6 days to provide a well thought out proposal based on a very limited surveymonkey form, decision made on the same day it closes and a month to have it up and running over the most restrictive holiday period of the year.

Yeah, sounds like a rushed idea followed up by a rushed implementation, can't fail right?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee said:
    Nice idea, but looks like another failed project to be honest, 6 days to provide a well thought out proposal based on a very limited surveymonkey form, decision made on the same day it closes and a month to have it up and running over the most restrictive holiday period of the year.

Yeah, sounds like a rushed idea followed up by a rushed implementation, can't fail right?

Might be good for someone that has been trying to get a project off the ground but doesn't have enough resources.

• @W1V_Lee said:

This contest is not for someone who does not have a business plan.

Decisions are easy to make when you have good candidates.

A month is not a short time to get a project going that can be hosted on the specs of this server.

• @Frost said:
    serverian - is that dedi for sale at $100/mo if you don't enter competition?

Of course not :) That price is a special price for the winner(s).

@trewq said:
    Might be good for someone that has been trying to get a project off the ground but doesn't have enough resources.

Exactly.

• LeeLee Veteran

serverian said: This contest is not for someone who does not have a business plan.

Fair enough, it does not suggest that though so at least people have a bit more information.

• @AnthonySmith This seems like the perfect opportunity to start LowEndSpirit in the US, assuming Servian is willing.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2013

@darknyan He doesn't need such a super machine for LowEndSpirit. And given this is "in Buffalo via CC", this means no ipv6, so not good for him.

• Is it essential to launch the entire thing on Jan 1 ? A ambitious plan might require 2-3 months of time ( provided its not VPS hosting or Shared hosting )

• @darknessends said:
    Is it essential to launch the entire thing on Jan 1 ? A ambitious plan might require 2-3 months of time ( provided its not VPS hosting or Shared hosting )

I can make exceptions based on the plans.

• @serverian : Thanks, I will be sending it over, Let me prepare it.

• tortautortau Member
    edited November 2013

Pity, I am in the process of scoping out my business plan currently but I don't plan to launch until mid 2014 since a large part of my project is development.

PS: Great offer though! Can't wait to see the winners and what they have in plans!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@darknyan said:
    AnthonySmith This seems like the perfect opportunity to start LowEndSpirit in the US, assuming Servian is willing.

As said, lowendspirit would only work with ipv6 and CC has that soon(tm)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

I would like to create encrypted end2end communications something, but have no time :(
    I am really curious what will be the winning project :)

• My project is not related to opening a VPS company. But have a good idea of doing something other than opening a hosting company. Will i be allowed to apply for the competiton.

• @serverian
    Congrats! This is a nice idea and a great opportunity for a few guys who can not PAY the cost to start their business (dream).

I hope we have new serverianS here in the future that were helped in the beginning and want to do the same thing for others. :)

Good luck guys!

• @Maounique said:
    I would like to create encrypted end2end communications something, but have no time :(
    I am really curious what will be the winning project :)

Like OTR?

• So what if you win and you need more servers? What would the price be?

• ^ Maybe the winner will be a dark mail provider ;)