Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone else used Fish Shell? Much better than bash etc.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone else used Fish Shell? Much better than bash etc.

I installed it on my desktop about a week ago:

http://fishshell.com/

I have not yet tried it on VPSes, but it has made using the Linux command line on my desktop much easier. As you type auto-completion, step back through matches in history, web configuration, syntax highlighting...

Comments

• i am not sure if it can still work under ssh. anyone tested it?

• All of the things but web configuration and syntax highlighting you have mentioned are available in bash. Typing part of a command and hitting tab will auto-complete. ctrl-r will allow you to go back through and search your history, hitting ctrl-r once and typing the start of the command your wanting and then hitting ctrl-r additional times with toggle through all things with that term in your history.

But, none the less, if it works well for you and your like it, cool! I haven't personally used it, but sounds like it might have some decent options for people starting out in linux.

Cheers!

• bash can do the useful things fish can. The rest is fluff. I found the auto-complete as you type incredibly annoying.

• VMVPS, I will post again when I get round to trying it.

TheLinuxBug, Fish Shell auto-completion is MUCH better than bash or zsh because it is as you type. I definitely find it faster. I think the history works better as well, but am not too sure as I am not that familiar with bash (I have been using zsh for the last year or so).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Bash gets a bad rep as non newbie friendly because there are many aspects of it that people don't know where to start to find what will make their lives easier with it. The features are there though, don't be afraid to ask.

• Using zsh with oh-my-zsh, pretty happy about it.