Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Technical writers - lowendguide.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Technical writers - lowendguide.com

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

From time to time I throw the question out to find new people willing to write one or two, perhaps even more guides/tutorials to be published on www.lowendguide.com

If you have a guide/tutorial already written and would like it published or feeling confident enough to write one, let me know.

If you would like it to be published under your name or anonymously, it's your choice.
Payment for your work is possible, name your price.

Thanked by 1ironhide

Comments

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

nice

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Can I link to my blog at the bottom? I'm finally getting into writing this stuff. :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Can I link to my blog at the bottom? I'm finally getting into writing this stuff. :)

If you have a guide that you would like to published, yes ofcourse.

@jarland said:

Take a look at the ones that I got from Raymii. Large infobox on top with links to his site and proper credit given.

Sexy. I'll write one up tomorrow, wanna think of something fairly unique :)

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited November 2013

Install and configure Observium, how to add server... Client install @jarland :)

• Just wrote one on my blog , How to install/setup Google Page speed on centos. I shall write and mail you. Whats your email id, and pay per post?

edited November 2013

@thehray said:
    Just wrote one on my blog , How to install/setup Google Page speed on centos. I shall write and mail you. Whats your email id, and pay per post?

I try to have unique content on LowendGuide but there are exceptions if I find the article really good/interesting.

Email is mikho@ and the payment is currently $5 / published post (multiple pages gets $5 / page). unless you want me to send the money for a good cause like this guy asked for : http://www.lowendguide.com/3/irc/how-to-setup-znc/

• Good going @MikHo :)

@MikeIn said:
    Good going MikHo :)

Thank you!

edited November 2013

@tridinebandim said:
    Install and configure Observium, how to add server... Client install jarland :)

Consider it done :)

....and never mind. This is too many steps, it's not that it's hard but I think I'm going to lose anyone who doesn't know what they're doing. The wiki for it is perfect, because it assumes you already know a number of things. Including directions for those things just proves to make the guide look intimidating. Perhaps I'm missing an easier method, it's been a while since I've done it. But when I have to walk people through setting up a proper LAMP first, I'd rather point people to a different solution. However, now looking for more low-end-appropriate alternatives :)

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited November 2013

jarland said: Consider it done :)

....and never mind.

i got lost in SNMP configuration, i totaly dont know what i am doing while following the wiki and it doesnt get the full data to the observium server at the end..

i bookmarked your blog, i ll gladly follow it, whether you have observium tutorial or others... :)

(i already bookmarked lowendguide :) )

Bumping this to avoid creating another thread.
    Still looking for technical writers to help out and build a large library of easy to follow tutorials.

Read more here: http://www.lowendguide.com/submit-article/
    Want more dollars in your pocket, let's talk before ignoring it completly.

• mee2mee2 Member

Do you have any specific topics in mind? Might be easier for someone (including me) to pick up from a list and start writing. Might as well call it a "LowEndGuide Bounty List".

• @mee2 said:
    Do you have any specific topics in mind? Might be easier for someone (including me) to pick up from a list and start writing. Might as well call it a "LowEndGuide Bounty List".

"You must be self-sufficient and are able to come up with your own brilliant, creative article topics."

• gracagraca Member

I remembered, I'm interested on this before, already contacted mikho, but unfortunately, no time available on my side, probably I might try again, let see

• mee2mee2 Member

@george said:
    "You must be self-sufficient and are able to come up with your own brilliant, creative article topics."

Wow, I missed that :)

@mee2 said:

I have a few topics that I feel are missing and still are on the to-do list.
    Should I post examples are so people could pick them up?
    I would like some sort of deadline for those topics. If the first one to pick a topic doesn't deliver in time it's up for grabs again by someone else.

• mee2mee2 Member

@MikHo said:
    I would like some sort of deadline for those topics. If the first one to pick a topic doesn't deliver in time it's up for grabs again by someone else.

That will help. Because there will be a clear goal in front rather than a vaugue one.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

mee2 said: Because there will be a clear goal in front rather than a vague one.

It's not a vague goal, you're tasked with writing interesting tutorials. So that means anything goes so long as a) it will be of interest to the users of the site (so nothing basic), and b) it hasn't been done before (which you can find out yourself with a bit of research).

Go on, get to it.

Thanked by 1mikho

If you want a challange:
    A project I started but never finished was some sort of HA solution using LES servers from all locations.
    IPv6 -> IPv4 via Cloudflare using DNS round robin (same record to all LES servers)
    A monitor server (could be one of the LES) that monitors to others and updates (add/removes) the DNS via CF API when a server goes offline.

Reason for updating DNS : cloudflare would otherwise present a "server not responding" error page.

I estimate something like that to be a 2-3 pages tutorial (==paid for each page)

:)

• I like the blog template like lifehacker's

• 5n1p5n1p Member

@NameStuff said:
    I like the blog template like lifehacker's

For me personally it looks much better then lifehacker, even if I don't see where you saw that similarity.

@5n1p said:
    For me personally it looks much better then lifehacker, even if I don't see where you saw that similarity.

Thank you for the kind words.
    I have received some contributions already and will read them all during this week and get back to each of you who has contacted me. Thank you for your interest.

• @MikHo said:
    If you want a challange:
    A project I started but never finished was some sort of HA solution using LES servers from all locations.
    IPv6 -> IPv4 via Cloudflare using DNS round robin (same record to all LES servers)
    A monitor server (could be one of the LES) that monitors to others and updates (add/removes) the DNS via CF API when a server goes offline.

Reason for updating DNS : cloudflare would otherwise present a "server not responding" error page.

I estimate something like that to be a 2-3 pages tutorial (==paid for each page)

:)

The technical writer would have to write their own program for the monitoring server?

@David_P said:
    The technical writer would have to write their own program for the monitoring server?

Oh No! The write is free to use any monitor software that is free to use. I had my eyes on monit.

• @MikHo said:
    Oh No! The write is free to use any monitor software that is free to use. I had my eyes on monit.

Can I try this project? :) what's the deadline?

@David_P said:
    Can I try this project? :) what's the deadline?

Feel free to try, no deadline per se. If someone else picks up, only one would be published :)

• @MikHo said:

? :)

edited April 2014

@David_P said:
    ? :)

If two (or more) are interested to write about the same topic, the one who "calls it" first will get a timeframe to deliver. if not delivered the other interested writers are free to give it a try.

On the other hand, I can not dictate terms on when articles should be submitted since it's the writers own free will (and interest to earn some cash) that makes it possible.

But if you would like a deadline, think you can do it in two weeks time? Plenty of time to test it and write it?