Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

numiptent Limits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

numiptent Limits

Hi all,

I have just got a new VPS with a provider that is pretty well respected here. It's by no means a LEB and costs £30/month and is well resourced. I plan on using it as a cPanel server.

I am struggling setting up a CSF firewall as the numiptent limit is set at 250. My existing VPS that this is to replace has around 4,000 in use at the moment and every other VPS I have (around 12) has an extraordinarily high numiptent limit. The provider is not keen to increase this limit, saying I should go for Xen or KVM but cost is a constraint. I have been running the server fine on OpenVZ for over 3 years without difficulty and don't have any other need to change.

tl;dr: is enforcing a 250 numiptent limit reasonable or not for a not-cheap VPS?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

250 is way too low. Name and shame.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2013

250 is not a bad default (maybe less than 1% of the users would ever need more), but the provider should agree to increase this if you ask them nicely. If they don't agree... not good.

• What is the specification of the vps? I assume it's openvz. 30 pound per month actually you can get kvm vps with quite high resource.

• It's a 4GB, 300GB disk, 4vCPU. I know I can get that much cheaper but a respected brand was important to me. You get what you pay for and I've had enough LEB providers disappear (uptimevps.co etc) and move their servers without warning... I just didn't think that I was asking too much.

edited November 2013

Cpanel servers tend to use a higher number of iptables rules than one might make on their own. Cpanel is an industry standard. CSF is a given. If you can't support cpanel users with your vps, the most utilized hosting panel in the industry for which your product exists, you're definitely doing it wrong. Sorry to whoever that points to, but yeah 250 is low and you are not asking too much at all.

• Thanks for all your thoughts. The provider has offered a Xen VPS with the same resources for the same money which I think is a good deal - also offered KVM.

I don't want to name and shame because we worked out a good deal but suffice to say it's a well respected provider in these realms who had an outstanding LEB offer earlier this year.

I'd say that's a generous solution then. I stand by statements but ultimately they provided an acceptable resolution and that's all anyone can ask for.