Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New OVH "PS" lineup... and it sucks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New OVH "PS" lineup... and it sucks

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited November 2013 in Providers

http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/

5 EUR/mo (5.97 with tax) for a Celeron CPU with 500 GB disk

11 EUR/mo (13.14 with tax) for Atom/4G/1TB

And the funniest part, these "goodies" are for the French residents only.

Comments

• I wonder what PS stands for

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Hmm, seems to have a setup fee.. 10.99 €

• @awson I think they forgot an O in there.

Thanked by 1earl
  • What exactly is OVH trying to accomplish here?

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Could have sworn when I read the note about going forward they were against setup fees as it will prevent growth??

For what it's worth I probably would have signed up to that atom deal considering 4GB ram and 1TB drive, if not for it being exclusive to France and the setup fee.

• these "goodies" are for the French residents only.

UK ordering coming "soon"

Hello,

We're planning to get the Kimsufi.com website back up today. You will be able to start to ordering PS-4G (PS for Personal Server).

(Note from UK team: please be aware that orders will only be opened in France at this time. You will be informed of the development of the Kimsufi offer in UK afterwards).

A new ManagerV6 will be integrated on Kimsufi.com to enable you to manage your PS server. It will be independent of OVH.com, meaning you'll have new login details, and the list of PS servers will only be visible on Kimsufi.com. The old KS servers will not move and will remain on OVH.com.

The SoYouStart.com website will be launched today, but you won't see the details of the offers until next week, once we have finished installing the first racks and we're ready to accept the first server orders. These will be servers with 32 GB RAM. In terms of CPU, there will be 4 cores and 8 cores. Ultra-powerful servers for < €50? Yes - that's SYS. You'll also get a ManagerV6 specially designed for SYS and totally independent of OVH.com, along with new login details. The list of SYS servers will be only be visible on the SYS website.

On OVH.com, we still have a little work to do to finish the server pages. You will have understood that we have many server models which we are putting into different ranges. The presentation that was ready for today didn't entice me. So I didn't approve it. We're putting everybody on the job to get the website on a par with the dedicated server revolution in preparation.

The servers are basically VERY interesting in terms of hardware, options and prices and you have to be able to find the offer of your dreams in a couple of clicks, without any hassle. We hope to have everything finished by the end of next week.

Apologies for these continued delays but the stakes are too high to settle for something less than adequate. If we re-examine business model and we automatically reduce prices every 6 months, and offer ultra-powerful hardware and plenty of options... you have to see it our perspective - www.ovh.com - and your first impression is simply too important. Yes the stakes are huge.

(Note from UK team: Orders on the new SYS.com and OVH.com websites will be limited to help us finalise the business plan for both websites. A delay is to be expected in UK due to legal reason. No ETA yet but we will keep you updated).

The quality of the offer we're preparing for you will make it worth the wait.

Best wishes,

Octave
    http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7627

Thanked by 1earl
  • @DomainBop

Sounds exciting.. I hope they leave the setup fees with the french, lol.

Thanked by 1tux
  • How about this "PS" compared to Online.net's 9.99?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think this is still very good and perhaps still unsustainable.
    100 mbps for 6 Eur/mo is very little, if we consider the power I use at home for a month it is some 2 Eur for one of my low end boxes which is not even 64 Bit (Via C7) and has only 1 GB ram because that is max that the board supports. Add to this the fixed IPs, free maintenance, bigger disk, that is great.
    If this line was here before the doomed "dedi for 3" stuff, everyone would have been excited.
    We will see how the customers will be treated though, that is their real problem, even for free, I will not use something from a company that despises me and being a customer is considered a privilege under threat to be revoked at any time for criteria such as country of origin or payment method AFTER the money were taken.

• "For French residents only" is not legal under EU rules. They'll have to open it to EU residents at least.

Thanked by 2rm_ tux
  • I get the feeling the prices are going to be higher for their lower ranges, but they'll still be 'OVH cheap' in the mid to high ranges. They've hinted they're bringing out more pre-defined spec higher end offers.

@rds100 said:
    "For French residents only" is not legal under EU rules. They'll have to open it to EU residents at least.

I am not sure it will be a good idea to force them to do that as they will be even more abnoxious and will try to invent even more excuses to deny service to non-fr ppl.

• @rm_ said:
    http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/

5 EUR/mo (5.97 with tax) for a Celeron CPU with 500 GB disk

11 EUR/mo (13.14 with tax) for Atom/4G/1TB

And the funniest part, these "goodies" are for the French residents only.

that was the case already with kimsufi, in the beginning and for a long while.
    Back in the 2007/2008, OVH boss Octave Klaba was occasionally explaining in the forum that he wanted to avoid the opportunistic crowd of p2p'ers.
    For different reasons, he preferred back then, to deal with the "historic customers" (clients historiques): France and french-speaking spinoffs: Québec (notice: Québec, not Canada), Belgium, Switzerland, northern Africa, etc.
    Then he put together geolocated subsidiaries. Reasons are ease of payment processing, legalities, and marketing.

@rds100 said:
    "For French residents only" is not legal under EU rules. They'll have to open it to EU residents at least.

not sure. A business is free to sell their products to whoever they want. Or said otherwise, to reject payment as they want. It's done all the time by paranoïd little VPS business who refuse to process payment when CC geodata doesn't match buyers provided geodata. (yet mismatching datasets isn't proof of fraud and in fact can be a safety and privacy safeguard for the customer).

@earl said:
    Hmm, seems to have a setup fee.. 10.99 €

that was expected. Maybe only a temporary test, but OVH explained on their forums that they needed a way to consolidate their business in the low-cost range, because too many cheap boxes had too short lease times.

• abravo said: not sure. A business is free to sell their products to whoever they want.

Not in the EU, we've already had this discussion. A business in the EU cannot reject a customer from another country in the EU, based on just the country itself. Of course they can reject individual orders based on some criteria, but they cannot say "we don't accept customers from other EU countries".

Not that i think it's right or i like it, but this is the EU regulations...

The EU now wants to regulate how much water we use to flush the toilet...

• Glad I got my 2.99 n2800 when I did. Whilst these are good value, they are not as good value as what was previously offered. Still cheaper than online.net though I suppose.

• Strange I can't find a 1.2Ghz single core Celeron anywhere. I remember they used to do Celeron 847's previously. I wonder if that's what they'll start with.

• @sc754 where are you trying to find it?

• @rds100 said:
    sc754 where are you trying to find it?

Wiki list of Celerons and also google, best I've found is a mobile processor or a very old socket 478 one. I doubt they'd use either of these :S

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2013

@sc754 i doubt this is any new hardware they'd buy for the lowest plan. It's probably several years old hardware, from cancellations.

@sc754 said:
    Glad I got my 2.99 n2800 when I did. Whilst these are good value, they are not as good value as what was previously offered. Still cheaper than online.net though I suppose.

I'd get the atom 4g over the via from online net at any time of day and night.

• I also doubt you'll need much more CPU power than a Celeron that will do... idle? backups?

For one the atom has 1 TB disks. That is twice the space for only 1 Eur more.
    While Atom has no VT, it has a lot more power and can do well Xen. The only issue with it is the 1 IPv6 only that kimsufi gets... However, there are ways to get over that.

• @Maounique said:
    For one the atom has 1 TB disks. That is twice the space for only 1 Eur more.
    While Atom has no VT, it has a lot more power and can do well Xen. The only issue with it is the 1 IPv6 only that kimsufi gets... However, there are ways to get over that.

If they do offer those Celeron 847's again, I might switch over so long as it performs ok. Looks like its better than an n2800 (at least according to passmark), I wonder how it would perform in a serverbear benchmark.

Celeron is cool, it is cheaper than online.net via and has better cpu and better traffic as it looks from benchmarks. OVH still wins over online.net on price.

• @MaoUnique : I think their premium line up could be better ValueForMoney as it sounds from the email above.

• also people should recall (unless they are borned very recently) that the web has been running for years on boxes similar to the 5€ kimsufi celeron.
    Many people to pull a heavy php/python/ruby & sql machinery because it's the trend, yet they serve what: a little blog?

Thanked by 3c0y rds100 tux
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

sc754 said: Strange I can't find a 1.2Ghz single core Celeron anywhere.

It's the Celeron 220. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron/Intel-Celeron 220 - LE80557RE014512.html

• @rm_ said:

Oh, well i wont switch then. Looks pretty average

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

abravo said: Many people to pull a heavy php/python/ruby & sql machinery because it's the trend, yet they serve what: a little blog?

I ran my little blogs on Atom N2800 for a long time, just install a proper web server (Lighttpd), turn on PHP caching (XCache), and it flies. And certainly feels much better than some VPS with "1 virtual core on Xeon CPU" where you share it with dozens of other people.

• For just a "disk over the network" the celeron 220 should be OK.
    Btw do i correctly understand that these are limited to one per person?