Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Data Center Tour
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Data Center Tour

Tour of a few Data centers..

Softlayer - Amsterdam

OVH

No clue what they're saying.. but nice background music, sounds like your watching "This Old House"

Online.net

Hetzner

SingleHop - Amsterdam

Limestone network - more like an AD then a tour..

Thanked by 4rm_ Droidzone BBTN tchen

Comments

• Homemade datacenter in Russia :D

More photos

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Strikerr

Really nice!! so you do hosting with it?

• Those were an interesting watch.

Its funny the difference between the high end and low end data centers with Hetzner's only having pc towers and the new OVH Video where the new servers don't even get a lid lol...

Thanked by 1earl
  • Yeah OVH looks pretty neat.. maybe I missed it but can't seem to see a power supply on each one of those board.. maybe they have something rigged up so they can achieve such density?

• Yeah, I cant see a power supply either, the water cooling is pretty cool though, some pretty slim hoses so they have to be pumping that water pretty fast, I'm pretty sure they have it figured out but without a lid I would hate to be under one that sprung a leak.

Thanked by 1earl
  • Maybe they use mineral oil? I don't think it's conductive.

• earl said: Maybe they use mineral oil? I don't think it's conductive.

That's possible, I've seen people use mineral oil instead of coolant or water earlier. Not sure how that 'cools' the servers though, oil doesn't cool down faster than water.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @dhamaniasad said:

yeah I suppose the thicker viscosity of oil might have an effect on the cooling efficiency compared to water but I would imagine that using plain water would be a fire hazard especially in the type of set up they have.. that would mean they have a lot of trust in their tech!

• I wonder how old those OVH Video(s) are

Cisco Catalyst 9000 with SUP1A... 6408 line cards... yikes

Thanked by 1earl
  • @earl said:
    yeah I suppose the thicker viscosity of oil might have an effect on the cooling efficiency compared to water but I would imagine that using plain water would be a fire hazard especially in the type of set up they have.. that would mean they have a lot of trust in their tech!

agreed, with those small hoses they have to be running some type of voodoo liquid in there. Regular pc water cooling systems generally run either 1/2" or 3/8" tubing, 1/2" being ideal: more water = more efficient cooling. So yeah, probably oil or some super efficient liquid.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@RyanD

Uploaded on Jan 13, 2008..lol

Have to say they were really ahead of their time for sure..

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@javaj

yeah looking at those tiny hoses makes you wonder if it's really sufficient, but I suppose the scale that they are at it must be working for them.. I'm sure they have their secret recipe that we can't see from the videos, but i agree those hoses look awfully tiny to really do any good.

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited November 2013

@Earl

The SUP1A was EOL on 09/2004 ;)

We still have 1 SUP2 based 6500 left in our private network, it's getting a upgrade to a 720 here shortly to bring it up to the standards of the rest of our equipment but it's ran line a champ for the last 8 years.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@RyanD said:

Maybe they decommissioned it right after they made that video? lol, but for the price they charge, I don't mind being on older hardware :)

their network has been pretty decent even thought it's only 100 Mbps port.. I just hate how they don't feel they have to be accountable for some of the things they do..

• RyanD said: I wonder how old those OVH Video(s) are

Cisco Catalyst 9000 with SUP1A... 6408 line cards... yikes

They upgraded to Cisco Nexus 7000, 5000 and for top of rack Nexus 2000 fexs. Oles has lot's of images in his twitter account.

Thanked by 1earl
  • Here's some more videos.

And here's another interesting video about Internet Archive, it has some server footage, very interesting choice of data center location haha :P

Thanked by 2earl tchen
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Pretty sure OVH uses water, not oil of any sort. They said so in one of the videos.

Speaking of home DCs, should not forget this guy http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/fios-customer-discovers-the-limits-of-unlimited-data-77-tb-in-month/

Thanked by 1earl
  • Pretty sure it's not pure water but has some chemicals added. But yes, it's mostly water and definitely not oil.

Some overclockers claim to use oil to cool the motherboards, but they submerge the whole motherboard in oil. Apparently since it's not conductive it doesn't cause problems, as water would.

Thanked by 1earl
  • ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

interesting

Thanked by 1earl
  • @rds100 said:
    Pretty sure it's not pure water but has some chemicals added. But yes, it's mostly water and definitely not oil.

The opposite of that. They probably use distilled water (water that had all its minerals removed). Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity and improves hoses and pump life as it can't build mineral deposits that could block water flow.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Darwin said:
    The opposite of that. They probably use distilled water (water that had all its minerals removed). Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity and improves hoses and pump life as it can't build mineral deposits that could block water flow.

Interesting to know

also regarding Limestone: WHERE THE FUCK IS FRANK

• Thanked by 1earl
  • @tchen

Interesting... so by water cooling they mean "Hot Water Cooling".

Ok, those smaller tubes make more sense now.

• Nice..

here is a few more pics of OVH water cooling.. found it on another forum, hope they don't mind.

so apparently they use regular water.. OVH mentions that "We do water cooling, and it is risky for your servers" one of the experiments when you pour water on a server..

Yup thats a pic of a server on fire..

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

a closer look at the heatsink..

The unused heatsink..

Maybe power supply?

• That looks pretty cool I must say :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • It doesn't look 100% pretty, but if the solution works...

Thanked by 1earl
  • They use regular water??

They're going to have much more problems in the future than just damage from leaks, if this is the case.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Magiobiwan said:
    It doesn't look 100% pretty, but if the solution works...

I think it looks pretty good..

• @NateN34 said:
    They use regular water??

They're going to have much more problems in the future than just damage from leaks, if this is the case.

yeah you would think it's a real hazard.. but who knows, the DC have not burned down yet! lol