Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB's thoughts on UK KVM VPS requirements?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB's thoughts on UK KVM VPS requirements?

GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
edited October 2013 in General

Hello LowEnd,

We're planning on expanding our services to the United Kingdom (Maidenhead, Metro London, and a few other locations.) in the near future and wanted to reach out to the LowEnd community and find out their thoughts on requirements, what specifications they would like to see offered.

We would still be using the SolusVM control panel and KVM virtualization, RAID1 SSD-Cached, RAID10 Sata3 storage (Enterprise Seagate HDDs and Intel SSDs.); premier peered bandwidth.

What other specifications however would LEB be interested in? I ask this shortly after seeing that quite a few users here on LEB were very interested in 384MB VPSes; and a user interested in a Content Distribution server, are there any other little-known interests in specific plans?

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Who is pulling out of the UK?

• they pull out of UK because the competition ddos' them until they're requested to move out good luck =(

• @serverian said:
    Who is pulling out of the UK?

He's probably referring to Urpad closing their 1 rented server (or was it 2 rented servers) UK location.

thoughts on requirements,

my only requirement for UK providers is that their first name must be Jack :P

Edit: This post is also in response to seeing a lot of providers pulling out of the UK now, leaving only RamNode and a few other providers in the prime locations.

1. RamNode has never had a UK location
    2. based on the lack of research you seem to have done on the UK VPS market I'd suggest not opening a UK location at this time.
    Thanked by 2jimpop Grimmy2
  • @DomainBop said:

I apologize for this, wrong paste. I meant to refer to UKFast's cloud ($23/GB, yikes). I've updated the post in this regards.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Edit: This post is also in response to seeing a lot of providers pulling out of the UK now, leaving only large cloud providers (UKFast for example) in the prime locations.

Still no idea what are you talking about... How is "UKFast cloud" is even relevant here?
    http://lowendbox.com/tag/uk/ there are pages and pages of LEB offers in the UK. Do you have the latest scoop that all of these are closing down? Evorack, NECS, OpenITC too?
    And what "prime locations"? Like UK is so huge you need to consider "west coast" UK and "east coast" UK or anything within UK whatsoever, as separate locations?

• @HardCloud said:
    I apologize for this, wrong paste. I meant to refer to UKFast's cloud ($23/GB, yikes). I've updated the post in this regards.

That doesn't make any sense, either. There are thousands of hosts in the UK.

• Right, so LEB would rather pick apart and complain about one sentence, then respond to the entire paragraph; or even post / thread topic?

Since everyone's being rather snarly about it, I've again updated the opening post.

• @Jack said:
    UK is still plenty populated.

OpenITC with Maidenhead and Newcastle

MiniVPS with Manchester and Maidenhead also have York and Glasgow I think

Onepoundwebhosting with Fareham

And me. But we are slowly moving away from the LEB market. So @Jack seems to be trying to take over.

• @Jack said:
    Honestly forgot about you. :)

You forgot about all of these UK VPS providers too. There are several LEB names on the list.
    http://www.serchen.co.uk/category/vps/

I meant to refer to UKFast's cloud

which leaves at least 202 other UK cloud providers still offering services, including Iomart, the company that owns the DC in Maidenhead you plan to use.
    http://www.serchen.co.uk/cloud-hosting/

• udkudk Member

Do it somewhere other than maidenhead if anywhere

• LeeLee Veteran

If you want to get into the UK don't go near Rapidswitch in Maidenehead, it's where the bulk of UK providers are because RS push out cheap deals. Plenty other locations out there but of course it will cost more.

• Glasgow location pls

• For the love of god, would you folks quit adding service locations exactly on top of other existing service locations. :-) The UK is amazingly full of VPS providers (low end, and high end). Offer services in much needed places like Brazil (Sao Paulo or Rio), Taiwan (Taipei), Hong Kong, Australia (Sydney or Brisbane).

• @jimpop said:
    For the love of god, would you folks quit adding service locations exactly on top of other existing service locations. :-) The UK is amazingly full of VPS providers (low end, and high end). Offer services in much needed places like Brazil (Sao Paulo or Rio), Taiwan (Taipei), Hong Kong, Australia (Sydney or Brisbane).

Australia > They kind of got rid of the national broadband initative, and you have to pay a good three digits for a 100mbps port. There is no industry in Australia for internet, let alone for servers yet.

I admit however that other locations would be great, but it is very hard to get into them without literally building your own data-center, especially to get the margins and pricing required to suit LowEnd services.

• W1V_Lee said: If you want to get into the UK don't go near Rapidswitch in Maidenehead, it's where the bulk of UK providers are because RS push out cheap deals. Plenty other locations out there but of course it will cost more.

UKFast is also dirt cheap, but cheap for a reason.

• @LV_Matt said:
    And me. But we are slowly moving away from the LEB market. So Jack seems to be trying to take over.

Ehm ehm

• @HardCloud said:
    Australia > They kind of got rid of the national broadband initative, and you have to pay a good three digits for a 100mbps port. There is no industry in Australia for internet, let alone for servers yet.

And yet in the time since you wrote this, RansomIT successfully opened up a 2nd location in Sydney ;-)