Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My ISP wrote my Internet records
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My ISP wrote my Internet records

WorldWorld Veteran
edited September 2013 in General

I use 3G to surf the internet,but i saw my internet records in a system.It's dangerous.I think maybe only China do that.lol.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2013

edit: that image loads damn slow.
    Almost all EU countries also log your 3G connections. USA too.

• WorldWorld Veteran
    edited September 2013

@rds100 said:
    What do you mean by "internet records"?

It means when i use the internet ,my ISP will record all i visited in a system.

• In most other countries this is happening too. Especially for 3G.

• WorldWorld Veteran
    edited September 2013

@rds100 said:
    In most other countries this is happening too. Especially for 3G.

2G/3G and all(ADSL/FTTH/FTTC...) will record in China.It's dangerous.

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@junjiang said:
    It means when i use the internet ,my ISP will record all i visited in a system.

Every ISP will log to a certain extend. As long as you don't have a flatrate with them, they need to keep track of the traffic for accounting. What differs is of course the extend how deep they log, meaning not only the time and the ip and the amount transferred, but also the target of your online behaviour. However, you can put a shadow on that by using someone in the middle (VPN).

• how about using vpn or proxy? still recorded?

• @ska said:
    Every ISP will log to a certain extend. As long as you don't have a flatrate with them, they need to keep track of the traffic for accounting. What differs is of course the extend how deep they log, meaning not only the time and the ip and the amount transferred, but also the target of your online behaviour. However, you can put a shadow on that by using someone in the middle (VPN).

My VPN is in Foreign Country.If use 3G with VPN,will so slowly.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    how about using vpn or proxy? still recorded?

Using VPN not still record.

• All ISP do so

Using VPN is the answer

• @Rami said:
    All ISP do so

Using VPN is the answer

But if using VPN with 3G,speed will so slowly...

• @junjiang said:

Why?!!!

• using wechat heh :)

• @junjiang said:

I use a vpn on my 3g (with the server being in nl i can still get 16Mbps + so not really the case. on the other hand you might have a slight increase of jitter/ping

• @Rami said:
    Why?!!!

Latency?

• RamiRami Member
    edited September 2013

@Abdussamad said:
    Latency?

Choosing the right location will solve this issue, he may loss 5% of his full speed or even may have his full speed and this is not "so slowly"

I have more than 400 VPN clients on my servers alot of them use it with 3g and there is no complain

• @Rami said:
    I have more than 400 VPN clients on my servers alot of them use it with 3g and there is no complain

Can you please tell me what sort of server you use to support 400 clients?

• @Abdussamad said:
    Can you please tell me what sort of server you use to support 400 clients?

he said servers not server

• @Abdussamad I said "servers" not "server"

@TarZZ92 Thanks

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited September 2013

@Rami said:
    Abdussamad I said "servers" not "server"

TarZZ92 Thanks

Ok then what sort of servers? I'd like to learn what sort of hardware you need to host VPN customers. Is RAM the biggest limiting factor or something else?

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@Abdussamad said:
    Ok then what sort of servers? I'd like to learn what sort of hardware you need to host VPN customers. Is RAM the biggest limiting factor or something else?

Not really. The connection and the ability to fiddle with IPTables are the biggest limiting factors.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Abdussamad said:

I don't think RAM is a limiting factor. It would probably be bandwidth and CPU if you got tons of traffic (many terabytes per month, I mean).

• @Abdussamad said:

No,64-128M of Ram will be enough for most vpn servers types + enough bandwidth +1G of HDD

and of course good uptime

• @ska said: Every ISP will log to a certain extend.

Just to clarify this a bit, I work in the industry -- many of us have no interest in logging what you do or where you go, unless under a court order. It can take a lot of horsepower and complicate the network, neither of which are desirable. I will say, most ISPs do log netflow data for accounting and security purposes, but that only shows IPs.

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@Microlinux said:
    Just to clarify this a bit, I work in the industry -- many of us have no interest in logging what you do or where you go, unless under a court order. It can take a lot of horsepower and complicate the network, neither of which are desirable. I will say, most ISPs do log netflow data for accounting and security purposes, but that only shows IPs.

As I said: to a certain extend. And wether you log the target IP or it's host is not that different. Besides that it depends on the country. In [.de] for example the ISPs are generally known for logging more or a longer period time-wise than the law urges them to do. Plus it is also a matter of how your domestic law handles abuse. If your domestic law states that if the real originator (your client) can not be attributed because you don't have the relevant logs it might be attributed to you. If you are a joint stock company you then have no other choice as to log because otherwise it would mean you would jeopardise the share-holders assets because of possible abuse-claims from third parties.

• @Rami said:

So you can run such a service off a VPS?

• In my country logs are supposed to be maintained for 6 months. But I imagine the intelligence agencies maintain longer logs. And then there's the NSA that doesn't forget anything ever.

• @Abdussamad said:
    So you can run such a service off a VPS?

I do not understand you well

Do you mean host a VPN server on a VPS? If that what you mean the answer is YES you can

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2013

@ska said: And wether you log the target IP or it's host is not that different.

It's very different because web sites don't necessarily have unique IPs, netflow data is not for tracking where you go.

ISPs have differing policies depending on country and their own needs, my only point is to downplay the notion that every ISP has some vested interest in knowing what sites you are visiting.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2013

No, this is wrong @rds100 (partly)

Logging data unless you REQUIRE it for billing (which is NOT required if you are billed flatrate) is straightforward illegal in most of the EU.

This applies to 3G as well.

One of the reasons why CZ/DE and some others (AT, smaller ISPs in NL/BE) ignore the EU data retention because it violates constitutional rights (CZ/DE, right to privacy) or current laws (AT).

• Probably around half of the world's data gets routed through USA in one way or another, and when it does, it gets snooped and logged by NSA. I think you finding out that your ISP is logging is a moot point. Like all the suggestions, you should get a VPN service. VPN on 3g won't make it run much slower. The latency might be affected, but it won't be by much.