Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

create host records using bind ... !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

create host records using bind ... !

i have small VPS server. Cent OS 6.4 ( 32 bit ) + named service. i host one of my domain DNS in this VPS. now i need to create another 4 host records for this domain. ns1.domain.com & ns2.domain.com is already created using godaddy domain panel. my question is how to create ns3.domain.com using named server ( bind ). is this possible to do or not. can anyone help me for this ?

thank you !

Comments

• First off.... bad! Don't use bind for NS. Use NSD http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/projects/nsd/

As you shouldn't need recursive lookups.

http://www.promovps.com/2011/11/tutorial-vps/low-resource-dns-name-server-using-nsd.html

Your real question I am going to not answer as it can be slightly complicated depending on the setup your currently have running, and how you use it.

Mun

• @Mun : thank you very much for your suggestions ... i'm going to try using NSD ...

can anyone please help me to find answer to my question please ?

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

most of the vps providers still offer centos 5.x 32 bit

what i do is install centos5.x 32 bit and than install kloxo over it

and than you can create as many records you like...

try it out, may be you would be relieved.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Bad idea, we have kloxo hacked every day. So much so that we think of disabling centos 5 32 bit.

• in old day's i install control panel every time for VPS management ... but now i'm doing all things with terminal ... i thing i can save Ram & other things by using terminal ...

and than you can create as many records you like...

i can create many records using zone file. but i don't know how to create Host records using it ( Not A records ) i need to create Host records ... i don't know it can possible to do or not ... but just i need to know how to do it ... if anyone can give me a clue about it, i think i can found more ... :D

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@shyaminayesh said:
    i can create many records using zone file. but i don't know how to create Host records using it

I guess you're mixing up a few things here. The term "host record" is an umbrella term for all the record types (A, AAAA, MX, CNAME, NS). A zone file is the file where you put in the host records.

If you want your nameserver to be authorative for a specific domain, you simply tell him by adding the respective host-records into the zone file.

For maradns this would be the following:

domain.de. SOA 1.domain.de. [email protected]. /serial 7200 3600 604800 1800
    # Nameserver
    domain.de. NS 1.domain.de.
    1.domain.de. A 192.168.0.1
    # Addresses
    www.% A 192.168.0.2

This zone-file makes sure your nameserver is authorative for the domain "domain.de". (Just scramble this zone-file a bit to make it more complicated to be suitable for bind) You can see a full set-up on maradns here.

What you also need to do is tell the registry the address of your nameserver (in this case "1.domain.de") plus it's IP, since we made the nameserver available under it's own domain (glue-record). If you use more than one nameserver for that domain, keep in mind that all the nameservers need to keep the same records and the serial must be corresponding.

Note: The whole config would look a lot nicer if this fricking forum would allow normal BBCode and get rid of that Markdown. The latter has never been designed for forums.

• @shyaminayesh said:
    i have small VPS server. Cent OS 6.4 ( 32 bit ) + named service. i host one of my domain DNS in this VPS. now i need to create another 4 host records for this domain. ns1.domain.com & ns2.domain.com is already created using godaddy domain panel. my question is how to create ns3.domain.com using named server ( bind ). is this possible to do or not. can anyone help me for this ?

It would help if you told us what the domain name was. Then we can look up its records. Anyway where are ns1 and 2 pointing? Are they pointing to your VPS IP or are they hosted by godaddy? If they are pointing to your VPS IP then just create a nameserver ns3.example.com:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/668/registering-your-own-nameservershosts

And add:

example.com. IN NS ns3.example.com.
    ns3.example.com. IN  A 127.0.0.1

To your zone file.

If ns1 and 2 are hosted by godaddy then things get a little complicated. Then ns3 will be a slave nameserver and you need permission from GD for that. So that is why it is better if you told us your domain name and your VPS IP.

@ska said:
    I guess you're mixing up a few things here. The term "host record" is an umbrella term for all the record types (A, AAAA, MX, CNAME, NS). A zone file is the file where you put in the host records.

You are right of course. I think the OP is confused because GD calls creating name servers (ns1.example.com ns2.example.com) "registering hosts". This is a perennial problem with domain registrars. Each one of them uses a different name for this process. directi for instance calls it creating "child nameservers"!

• FYI, incoming Kloxo-MR 6.5.1 include Bind, DJBDns, MaraDNS, NSD and PowerDNS. Ready for testing in current 6.5.1.a (alpha step). Also ready for Hiawatha and Hiawatha-proxy webserver.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:
    Bad idea, we have kloxo hacked every day. So much so that we think of disabling centos 5 32 bit.

oops, i have servers running kloxo since 2011 february, not a single restart, huge traffic still not hacked...

every thing depends upon how well you take care of it.