Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building Huge Arrays
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building Huge Arrays

Hi,

Is it good to build and use huge array with 10gbps port?

I am for now using HDD in seperate, but i would like to improve security so move with raid 10.

So is it good enough to use 24x3tb in raid 10 or 16x3tb in raid 10 ?

Does this affect I/O , as I will have lots of upload and download each seconds. For now i have 6 disk machines and using each hdd as seperate and never faced any I/O issue.

If you recommend me to go with 24x3tb in raid 10 or 16x3tb in raid 10 , so what config i choose for CPU and size of RAM ?

Comments

• raid 6 perhaps? ZFS could prove somewhat useful depending on what your intended usage is.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends on usage scenarios, if you are saturating the 10 gbps port, then you will need a fast array, and 3 TB disks are not particularly fast. However, if you have so many, a raid 6 will do well if you have hardware raid. ZFS will probably need quite a bit of CPU for that port and that many drives, but it depends on the machine, could do well if you only use it as storage box and dont run anything else on it.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

What's the nature of these uploads and downloads? Large single files or many rapid transactions recorded in separate files?

• Hi,

So my config is of now 2xE5645 , 64GB ram , 11x4tb , 1x60GB SSD.

All i need is high write and read speed , so which to choose RAID 10 or RAID 6 ?

And also files are different size since i own a filehost.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

11 drives wont go in raid 10, you need even numbers, the 60 GB ssd is too small to do caching, will probably slowdown the io since you have a filehost where data is unlikely repeating too often and small files.
    Raid 6 could work, but it has to be either hardware raid or some solid CPU for that port. ZFS is also nice, but will need good CPU too, even better than raid 6 software. It also gives much bigger storage, so try to achieve raid 6.

• @Maounique said:
    11 drives wont go in raid 10, you need even numbers, the 60 GB ssd is too small to do caching, will probably slowdown the io since you have a filehost where data is unlikely repeating too often and small files.
    Raid 6 could work, but it has to be either hardware raid or some solid CPU for that port. ZFS is also nice, but will need good CPU too, even better than raid 6 software. It also gives much bigger storage, so try to achieve raid 6.

Hi,

I am going to get this machine only for storage purpose. And host said 60gb ssd is for OS.

And also will RAID 6 fast the Read and Write ? I am in thought of using each hdd seperate too.

So what to do , go with RAID 6(I dont want to be super slow or I/O issue) or use each hdd as seperate so i can get more speed and less I/O ?