Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH tech.support experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH tech.support experience

Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
edited August 2013 in Providers

OK, as I've said, I'm OVH customer since 2012. I chose to try their VPSes. However, when OpenVZ is i n use, and if I am in doubt, whether benchmarking won't affect extremely hard co-hosted VMs, I prefer to ask prior to running those.

Initial request to Technical Advisor (via ovh.com client portal):

2013-08-06 03:26:24:

May I run certain benchmarks, to estimate the capacities of VPS and thus tune its
settings?

The mentioned benchmarks would only be run once. I suppose it's not good to run
disk I/O intensive benchmarking, so it won't be used (such as Phoronix suite
dbench/tiobench/similar)

(omitting 'Hello'/'Thank you' footer/header)
Response from OVH Support 9 days after:

2013-08-15 22:36:20

Hi,

Why do you want to run benchmarks ?

We have already done it on our services before delivering them.

Best Regards, Rachid.

No comment. Requests on their English support Twitter acct. are simply ignored.

Am I the only "lucky" one to receive this extraordinary great, quick and helpful support level from one of biggest hosting providers?

Update. That very same staff member (Rachid) has added reply in 9 h 30 min after my response and has answered my ticket this time. Issue closed.

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

When I emailed them the other day to find out the KS2 CPU model they said it was already answered on their website which it wasn't. It seems like they don't read their emails too closely.

• I also had a bad experience with OVH and I do not care to repeat it.

• They assigned a /29 IP block I had with them for 7 months to someone else without notice and then refused to rectify the issue. I left minutes later.

• xsetxset Member

OVH is best

Thanked by 1tux
  • Well you should expect this kind of replies from them

• Pay peanuts,, get no support.
    But the systems do work fine, and if you can read there wiki you can do nearly everything without needing there help.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Pay peanuts,, get no support.

He's using OVH VPS which start from 5 or 10 EUR for 512 MB of RAM OpenVZ.
    Not exactly peanuts for what you get compared to other providers.
    http://www.ovh.com/fr/vps/vps-classic.xml
    http://www.ovh.com/fr/vps/vps-low-latency.xml

• Hmm.. OVH seems to provide 11 IPv4s for a single VPS. Overkill?

And they restrict Kimsufi dedis (pre '13) to three.

• Been using their web hosting service for a while now, and I am having problem adding a multi domain ( their term for addon domain ) .. submitted a ticked .. been days with no reply..
    its not for their dedicated / vps service , but the shared hosting.. never seen such lack of customer care..

• funny thing, Rachid answered me too, I don't think they have many people working @ support

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Hmm.. OVH seems to provide 11 IPv4s for a single VPS. Overkill?

Turn off your google translation and you will see the original says "1 IPv4 & 1 IPv6".

• Thanks to everyone for comments. Taken into account.

@StableVDS said:
    Pay peanuts,, get no support.
    But the systems do work fine, and if you can read there wiki you can do nearly everything without needing there help.

First, I asked questions for which there is no explanation in Wiki. My question was related to how much could be I/O and CPU load to still follow the AUP/ToS.

Also, I didn't expect to wait for 9 days.

Talking of peanuts... I pay 5.95$ for a shared account at JaguarPC. Support response is much more senseful and comes during 1-2 hours, usually much quicker.

I can bring other examples of relatively cheap hosting coming with professional and quick support.

So, what exactly were you saying about peanuts?

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Master_Bo said:
    Also, I didn't expect to wait for 9 days.

>

I suppose you would have to pick between good prices or good support.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

@matthewvz said:
    I suppose you would have to pick between good prices or good support.

I've seen both good proces and good support at the same time. Apart from JaguarPC, I can name CrocWeb as a good example.

In this given case, I chose to stop using OVH after this VPS expires.

• May I run certain benchmarks, to estimate the capacities of VPS and thus tune its

settings?

The capacities of the VPS 2013 Classic are limited and you'd be better off picking a LET host. I posted some benchmarks when the 2013 line first launched in this thread. Stability was a problem too--the node I was on rebooted 12 times in the month I was testing it but they supposedly fixed that problem.

Master_Bo said "Response from OVH Support 9 days after:"

ticket opened:

to:     Support - Hetzner Online AG 
    date:    Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM

ticket replied to (and question answered to my satisfaction)

date:   Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    subject:     Re: [Ticket#
  • @rm_ said:
    Turn off your google translation and you will see the original says "1 IPv4 & 1 IPv6".

Self facepalm!

• @DomainBop said:
    subject: Re: [Ticket#

Everybody keeps saying Hetzner is bad but the support is pretty good. Average response time is probably 15 to 30 minutes.

Only thing they don't is helping you with managing your server, wich is obvious. I think the support is pretty good. Maybe even better than some of the LET hosts.

edited August 2013

@DomainBop said:
    The capacities of the VPS 2013 Classic are limited and you'd be better off picking a LET host.

I am somewhat confused about how to understand this. I shouldn't benchmark the mentioned VPS (VPS 2013) because its capacities are limited?

Note that I more or often take one more VPS/DS to test in action, even though I prefer to choose permanent home for my sites and keep it while it's possible.

ticket replied to (and question answered to my satisfaction)

Good for you. Shall I say "Shame on OVH", then, for their not being able to respond to simple question for 9 days?

• "Shame on OVH", then, for not being able to respond to simple question for 9 days?

I think the slow support times are intentional because they want to force you to subscribe to their €49.00 /month VIP Support option. VIP support guarantees a response within 15 minutes.

• @DomainBop said:
    I think the slow support times are intentional because they want to force you to subscribe to their €49.00 /month VIP Support option. VIP support guarantees a response within 15 minutes.

Do you use their 49 EUR/mo VIP help subscription?

As for me, simple answer - no way. I would never buy support if it costs more than service in question.

This is first time I see when unmanaged VPS service responds so slowly and in so absurd manner.

I need no support handling VPSes/DSes unless a problem like hardware failure/something similar happens. In the latter case I expect the provider to react in timely manner.

Ignoring my tickets/ tweets I can only treat as utter disrespect. I understand OVH doesn't care about losing several customers, so I'll just leave.

Judging by several comments to this post, I am not the only one being treated like that.

• xsetxset Member

OVH is still the best.. They keep promising server delivery but cant deliver.
    With every order, from mSP, to FS, to EG, HG... they have huge issues at the moment.

• @xset said:
    OVH is still the best..

Oh yes, I appreciate your irony. :)

• xsetxset Member

@master_bo OVH has recently shown its culture and quality, I never expected it to be this bad.

• @Master_Bo said:
    Judging by several comments to this post, I am not the only one being treated like that.

It's a big corporate which has bigger fish to fry. Tbh, your question isnt exactly something which requires an urgent reply as it's not critical to your service and is more of a "Want to know/FAQ" question. Being in the mess of a huge frenzy of dedicated server orders, it's reasonable to assume that your question got least priority in their triage.

I wouldnt read much from this response. I'd be more concerned if they didnt respond to a question about server downtime, or hardware related.

edited August 2013

@joelgm said:
    It's a big corporate which has bigger fish to fry.

Oh yes, just one customer buying small server.

From the Evil Overlord' list:

46. If an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.

Tbh, your question isnt exactly something which requires an urgent reply as it's not critical to your service and is more of a "Want to know/FAQ" question

In fact, it is critical to me. If VPS efficiency is below expected, I won't start using it. If it is good enough, I will use it and, guess what? Buy more services from OVH, most probably. They don't want that? No problem, so don't I.

. Being in the mess of a huge frenzy of dedicated server orders, it's reasonable to assume that your question got least priority in their triage.

OK. "Consider yourself lucky it's mere 9 days". Done, I consider myself lucky.

I wouldnt read much from this response. I'd be more concerned if they didnt respond to a question about server downtime, or hardware related.

Note: when using unmanaged VPS providers' services, I never post questions unless I can handle everything myself. Things that I can't usually handle myself:

1. rDNS setup/additional IPs allocation (rDNS can but rarely be setup by customer)

2. power failures/hardware failure/cases of force majeure

That's all, in fact. I have enough experience not to screw the server by misconfiguration.

I could just run benchmarks, and all. However, that did cause problems in the past, thus I prefer to make it clear first. And, repeating once more: if benchmarking data are poor (cost-performance), I won't use these services.

JMNSHO.

• xsetxset Member

@master_bo just run the benchmark :)

• @xset said:
    master_bo just run the benchmark :)

I will. Read the update to original post - Support doesn't mind. Issue closed.