Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced

Got this email a while back.. Prices are quite competitive..

Hello,

we received some requests to disclose the pricing model for the iwStack services, so here we go:

Computing instances
Basic 512M, 512MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 1TB transfer: €0.003 / hour = €2.16 / month
Basic 1G, 1024MB RAM, 2 vCPU, 2TB transfer: €0.006 / hour = €4.32 / month
Basic 2G, 2048MB RAM, 4 vCPU, 3TB transfer: €0.012 / hour = €8.64 / month
Basic 4G, 4096MB RAM, 4 vCPU, 4TB transfer: €0.024 / hour = €17.28 / month
Basic 8G, 8192MB RAM, 8 vCPU, 6TB transfer: €0.048 / hour = €34.56 / month

more instances will be added later. No disk space is included with the computing instances.

Storage
Primary SAN storage (for ROOT and DATA volumes) price per GB used: €0.00015 / hour = €0.11 / month
Secondary NFS storage (for snapshots, templates, ISOs) price per GB used: €0.00005 / hour = €0.036 / month

Other services
Virtual Router for advanced zone (include a dedicated VLAN and a dedicated VM for firewall, load balancer, ipsec vpn, etc. ): €0.006 / hour = €4.32 / month 
Additional public IP for advanced zone: €0.0014 / hour = €1.00 / month
Additional Bandwidth: €0.007 per GB

21% VAT will be added to listed prices to all EU customers without a valid VAT ID and all Italian sales.

Comments

• Instance pricing is competitive indeed. Not sure about storage pricing (Google and Amazon both charge only $0.10/GB).

• They could easily beat Digital Ocean, judging by my testing these new cloud instances.

The competition will only benefit everyone.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2013

How exactly disk space will be charged? Will this be something like unlimited disk space, which then to be billed for every used portion? Or we can set any amount of disk space when creating instances?

• So finally its there, they are always great so hope there service would be again of high end at a low end price/ quite nominal price...

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited August 2013

A small Calculation:-

Basic 512M, 512MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 1TB transfer: €0.003 / hour = €2.16 / month

25 GB Primary SAN storage (per GB used: €0.11 / month) = €2.75 / month

Total = €4.91 ($6.5 approx)

Not that bad ;) :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

What is the VM technology, is it KVM or something else?

• @rm_ said:

It is KVM but they've mentioned adding the usual suspects like Xen and VMWare later.

• Would you be able to use all your assigned CPU cores 100%? Also how would bandwidth for hourly payment work like?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

KVM for now. Cloudstack support also xen and vmware so we may consider them in the future.

@Bogdacutuu said:
    Would you be able to use all your assigned CPU cores 100%? Also how would bandwidth for hourly payment work like?

I decided to start with a shared access instead to cap on dedicated frequency, so everybody will access a full thread.
    Bandwidth will be calculated on a monthly base and reset at 1st of each month.

• @prometeus Any signup link?

• AsimAsim Member

@prometeus will their be more payment methods? PAYPAL does not work for me :(

@MorningIris said:
    prometeus Any signup link?

we are still in beta with one hundred or so of existing clients and friends and hope to launch in one month.

M is working to some tutorials:

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1177

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1188

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1178

@Asim said:
    prometeus will their be more payment methods? PAYPAL does not work for me :(

I will look at it...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

@DalComp said:
    How exactly disk space will be charged? Will this be something like unlimited disk space, which then to be billed for every used portion? Or we can set any amount of disk space when creating instances?

You can add disks to your VM, so, in a way, you are not limited to the disk you gave it at creation, but you cannot grow it the way sparse volumes are growing, we use dedicated instead of sparse due to the high overhead and slow disk with sparse volumes.
    There is no limit on how much space you can add as long as you have the money, however, the storage is not unlimited, only shared hosting customers can believe that, therefore you will not be able to create 20 petabytes volumes.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Maounique said:
    There is no limit on how much space you can add as long as you have the money, therefore you will be able to create 20 petabytes volumes for $5

Sound cool :)

• @W1V_Lee - hah nice hack!

• @Maounique said:
    There is no limit on how much space you can add as long as you have the money, however, the storage is not unlimited, only shared hosting customers can believe that, therefore you will not be able to create 20 petabytes volumes.

lol. I know, but you get my point. ;)

• Google and Amazon both charge only $0.10/GB)

They're able to offer lower storage costs because they received a generous donations of hard drives from their benefactors at the NSA. :P

On that note...in the wake of the recent NSA revelations, EU privacy laws are one major reason EU based companies may want to consider using the Prometeus Cloud instead of an American cloud provider like Amazon. Related article

Cloudstack support also xen and vmware so we may consider them in the future.

hoping for Xen...

• Very competitive, they just need to offer some free credit now, like DO ;-)

edited August 2013

@DomainBop said:
    hoping for Xen...

We tested Xen already, I pushed it because of PV which would have had less overhead and because openswitch better support, however, it failed for many reasons, we decided to concentrate on KVM for now.
    If/when the cloud will be successful, we will consider Xen again, and VMWare we already have, just need to decide if we integrate it or not.

@Zen said:
    Although, it all depends on if they really are providing:

Virtual Router for advanced zone (include a dedicated VLAN and a dedicated VM for firewall, load balancer, ipsec vpn, etc. ): €0.006 / hour = €4.32 / month

Because that's the thing I love about Rackspace.

That is already working and is the main advantage of the advanced zone.

• @Maounique said:
    VMWare we already have, just need to decide if we integrate it or not.

Would you provide VSphere if you start to offer VMware?

@Ruchirablog said:
    Would you provide VSphere if you start to offer VMware?

I don't think so, the point of cloudstack is to provide a single user interface / set of api to manage different hypervisors...

Thanked by 1Ruchirablog
  • @prometeus said:
    I don't think so, the point of cloudstack is to provide a single user interface / set of api to manage different hypervisors...

If you can implement Vsphere it wouldnt hurt :)

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited August 2013

@prometeus Unfortunately, I have never been able to create a VM. I always get error messages from the control panel:

No API key provided.
    Error during new VM deployment

@pechspilz said:
    prometeus Unfortunately, I have never been able to create a VM. I always get error messages from the control panel:

No API key provided.
    Error during new VM deployment

Are you testing the Hostbill integration?

• Yes indeed.

@Ruchirablog said:
    If you can implement Vsphere it wouldnt hurt :)

The problem of vmware is the "tax" they charge :-)

The full set of enterprise features (enterprise+) are 7 vssp points per GB of reserved RAM per month. Depending on how much overcommit (overselling) it's done on RAM you can end paying €3.5 (for a 50% reservation) to €7 (for a 100% reservation) per gigabyte of RAM per month.

Enterprise (not plus) features are 5 vssp points per GB per month.

Most corporations have no problems with those fee, they want vmware and know there is a price to pay. But for some of us (me included) it's too much.

Thanked by 1Ruchirablog

@pechspilz said:
    Yes indeed.

We are in touch with the hostbill guys since we found some bugs and they are working (I hope) on them. In the meanwhile please open I ticket, I can try to move you on a different setup.

• Have you guys considered/looked into a paas offering in your cloud perhaps via Docker/lxc?

No, all our efforts are into making IaaS work (done) and integrate it with the billing platform(s) (WIP).
    Hostbill has support for CloudStack, but i believe we are the only odd chick that is using it, because we keep hitting bugs and unfinished stuff/unsupported on the latest release. Hopefully, they will solve the problems and we will be ready to offer the shared zone in a few days.
    The full IaaS platform will not be available for everyone, probably, only for established customers and serious businesses.
    What we will offer at LEB prices will be some kind of KVM on steroids, similar to DO offering, with snapshots, own ISO, HA, failover, downloadable/uploadable disk images, things like those. It will NOT have advanced routing capabilities, VPN, isolated network, extra NICs, etc.

For this (low-end) offer, hostbill will suffice (once they fix the bugs) as a control panel as you can control every aspect from there, for the advanced zone, that is not enough, we are putting the basis of an OS cloudpanel which willuse the API and can be, eventually, expanded later to replace solus.