Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hardware question

Looking at specs and benchmarks on various processors.

If a single E3-1240v2 is bringing in passmark scores of 17k and a single X5550 is around 11k, would a dual X5550 be around 22k or is that too simple?

Thinking about buying a server to colocate for personal use and a used E3-1240v2 is about 5 times the cost of a used dual processor X5550.

Also, for personnal use, crazy RAM (96GB+) is really overkill, right?

Comments

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

The older hardware is cheaper most likely because it needs a small power plant to run it. The new E3's are more power efficient and have higher clock speeds as well as newer features etc. If you would benefit from double the core count though, 4/8ht vs 8/16ht with the dual setup, then go for the older, but the E3's will be cheaper to run..

• Dual X5550 will use around 2A @ 120V. A E3 will use just under 1A

• talsittalsit Member

Ahh, the 2A is important, I had been looking for that and didn't have much luck finding it. That pushes colo costs up to the "not feasible" range using the dual processor.
    The cheapest colo I found was $50 for 1-4U, 1A, 10TB of BW.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

What would you be running? And does it require the high core count that a dual setup brings? The E3's will take near enough anything you chuck at it, plus it has a higher clock speed than the X5550..

• @talsit said:
    Ahh, the 2A is important, I had been looking for that and didn't have much luck finding it. That pushes colo costs up to the "not feasible" range using the dual processor.
    The cheapest colo I found was $50 for 1-4U, 1A, 10TB of BW.

Where is this?

• Check GoRack for nice colo pricing... We have been there for 2 years and they have been very good.

Link to their deals.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1273554

Thanked by 1talsit
  • talsittalsit Member

Joe's Datacenter in KC.

• talsittalsit Member

@CNJeremy, those are some good deals, thanks. 10Mbit/s is probably enough for my personal use.