Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendation for open source monitoring tool?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendation for open source monitoring tool?

I currently have a need of automatically monitoring a few linux servers. So I am looking for an open source script that can do ICMP pings to the listed servers every a few minutes, and save the connectivity log either in a file or in a mysql database(preferred).

It doesn't matter whether it is a PHP script or Linux package, but I hope the tool can have a relatively low RAM consumption - lower than 32MB will be fine.

Can anyone give a recommendation? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Nagios. For guides, check LowEndBox.com.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

I use Nagios for exactly that and a bit more. I ping my servers and check load every few minutes. Also have a couple web sites on shared hosting where I basically ping http to make sure it's working on those. Nagios is well suited for those 3 things and a lot more. PiTA to set up for the first server if you haven't used nagios before but once you have one server set up you just cut and paste your config text for each additional server. Rock solid reliable and very light weight.

Most of your configuration is done in text files. Open source version comes with gui but don't get confused like I did. The open source GUI is minimal and mostly only for monitoring not setup. Nagios XI with the nice full featured GUI starts at $5k. There are 3rd party add on GUI's that are free or low cost but none of them improve on the included GUI imho.

There isn't a lot of good detailed centralized documentation for nagios. Just bits and pieces scattered about. I had to create my own and like I said it was a PiTA but it was either that or spend thousands on a commercial solution with nice gui.

• Zabbix is pretty decent.. Zenoss is another decent one, you can download the community version.

Thanked by 2sman msg7086
  • Zabbix

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

And again, Zabbix :)

Although you will need more ram for it most likely. Although that probably depends on how much history and how many items and triggers etc.

• TrueVPSTrueVPS Member
    edited July 2013

Good experiences with Opsview here! It's based on Nagios, but with an easier to use interface.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

Thanks for the Zabbix recommendations. I never head of it before. Just tried it out and pretty impressed so far. Within an hour I had it set up and monitoring my servers. Gonna test it out and probably switching over from Nagios shortly. Decent documentation and fully functional integrated GUI totally sold me.

• Just install Network Monitor gadget on Windows.

• Nagios has my vote all the way, but you are asking for open source so Zabbix would be the right tool for server monitoring.